Baby Lotion?

ldscurly-qldscurly-q Registered Users Posts: 40
Has anyone tried baby lotion in their hair? When I was in high school, a girl I knew had the most awesome long curly hair that never frizzed and was always gorgeous. I asked her what she put in her hair and she told me baby lotion. I have recently tried it (after all these years) and have discovered that it is the best styling product I have ever used. I have no idea what the long term buildup risk is though, but I'm willing to wait and see. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this?
3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shampoo twice per week with Bumble and Bumble Gentle Shampoo, followed by Rich Conditioner, Leave In (or rinse out) Conditioner and Prep spray. Bb Curl Conscious Creme (thick hair) and Tri Styling Gel.

Comments

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    What is your hair type, ldscurly-q?
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • ldscurly-qldscurly-q Registered Users Posts: 40
    Mostly 3B with some 3A thrown in the mix. It really defines the 3B of my hair and seems to curl more. I use it mostly on the canopy of my hair since underneath doesn't really need it.
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    Shampoo twice per week with Bumble and Bumble Gentle Shampoo, followed by Rich Conditioner, Leave In (or rinse out) Conditioner and Prep spray. Bb Curl Conscious Creme (thick hair) and Tri Styling Gel.
  • Kgrl17Kgrl17 Registered Users Posts: 137
    I'v heard that lotion is great to control frizz so it would make sense if baby lotion did that too since it is probably lighter and gentler. It would be worth a try though! What brand/type do you use? And do you put anything else in with it (like gel?)
    I use Monoi oil on the ends and any excess I distribute throughout my hair (which isn't that much though) and then the lotion. I use probably a little bit more than a quarter size of Johnson and Johnson's Baby Lotion. As long as I put it in my hair when it is plenty wet, I don't need gel--which was seriously amazing to me since I have always had to have something like that in my hair.
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    Wow - usually I don't use anything in my hair, but after checking out this site, I feel a PJ emerging! :lol: Now I must go get baby lotion!! I predict that I'll be sitting in the middle of an aisle bugging people for a loooong time checking out defrizzing lotions and debating getting baby lotion instead. :roll:
    BTW, I have some waves underneath that are easily pulled out (weird cuz most ppl here have hair that's curlier underneath, not on top like me) so I must ask: does baby lotion do a thing for definition? I suspect it doesn't, but just on the off chance... :wink:
    OMG, LOOK!!

• SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Registered Users Posts: 381
    It will probably build up after a while because it contains baby oil (er, right?), which is essentially mineral oil and it coats the hair. But if you shampoo often enough, you should probably be okay.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: http://photobucket.com/albums/a119/CrazyCurlyQ/

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
    Most of my curl is on top too and it really defines your curls. I'm thinking that it may build up after a while, but yeah, shampooing should take care of it. A couple of years ago I tried the CG routine and really loved the results. I found that it was similar to what I've experienced using the baby lotion. I dunno, I've been thinking of going CG again soon so buildup may be what makes me go back to CG. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if anyone else has the same results as I have had.
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    I don't do CG and I use sulfates, so build-up wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm really impatient to try this now - it may take a few days for me to get to the store but I'm determined, so maybe not! :D
    The minute I get this I'm trying it, then I'll post with my results. If you are watching this thread for replies, you'll see the results the same time I do!
    I am waaaaaay too excited about baby lotion now. :roll:
    OMG, LOOK!!

I get the exact same way--I decide that I need to try something and I move heaven and earth to get it! LOL I am very impatient 8)
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Well that would be cool since I have a bottle of Johnson's Softlotion that I really don't like.

It should enhance curl a lot since the second ingredient is glycerin, but the third is mineral oil, so you would have to shampoo once and a while.

I'm once again looking for something that works well, but has soft hold, so I'll be trying this today!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Okay, I just shampoo'd, didn't condition b/c I'm over conditioned right now, and used the Johnson's and Johnson's Softlotion that I have - my hair came out dynamite. Too good in fact. I think it's too good to be true. I won't let myself get excited b/c if I do it will work great for a day or two and then I'll be back to square one.

But if anyone was interested in trying it in the first place - it was awesome. Not producty at all. My hair feels air-light and very bouncy, my curls are wicked defined and I didn't need to add products to make it look right. I smoothed my GF leave in all over when it was dry b/c my ends felt dry - but then again they are.

Yup....hair looks awesome....I was supposed to go swimming tonight but I might have to cancel due to good hair.

• LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    Alright, babywavy, how much did you use, how'd you apply it (wet, damp, etc.), exact name of product, etc. Like I need to start hanging out in the baby aisle at Walmart instead of the hair aisle, where the stockers now come to me to ask where each hair product goes :lol: . JK!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    Yes babywavy, spill it! the whole routine!! Imagine if this really holds up! that would be AWESOME!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :lol:

Girls, I'm trying to stifle the excitement - you know how it works when you find THE perfect product!

Well, I shampoo'd w/ B's L'Oreal Kids Super Squirt Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Wash. It's coconuty. It has a sulfate in it, but I've been using cones and I can tell I have build up. I didn't condition. I came out and wrapped my hair in a towel, left that on for about 10 min or so, took it out, raked/scrunched in Johnsons & Johnsons Soft Lotion - white bottle pink cap - diffused dry and then scrunched in some GF Curl and Shine Leave In Cream.

Yay! I am so excited it worked for you! The stuff I have isn't the Soft Lotion, but the Baby Lotion in the pink bottle. I don't know if it makes a difference but it doesn't have mineral oil in it. It does have dimethicone and synthetic beeswax in it. However the dimethicone is 7th on the list and the synthetic beeswax is near the end. I suppose it doesn't matter though if you are using a sulfate anyway. I am so excited it worked for someone else too! Very awesome. :D
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
  • sassette726sassette726 Registered Users Posts: 694
    Wow, I'm definitely going to have to try this! My hair reacts horribly to 'cones, though, so I'll have to look for a lotion that doesn't have any. Of course... with the stockpile of beauty products I have sitting around thanks to samples, stuff that didn't work for me, etc.; I may already have something. :):)
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • embudiniembudini Registered Users Posts: 580
    Do you think another type os lotion would work or would the be too heavy?
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    OK, what did I do wrong? My hair came out stringy and oily looking. :( Babywavy, how much lotion do you put in? I'm thinking I may have put in too much, although it didn't really seem like a lot... The good news is I have zero frizz and the individual strands are very defined. The bad news: hair feels dirty, the strands are too skinny, and the curl got pulled out. I'd say it's more wavy now, even though I diffused. I guess I can try again tomorrow after work, but I'm just so disappointed! Seemed like others were getting such great results. I guess nothing works for everyone. :cry:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    embudini, I've tried other lotions and did not get the same effect. Some didn't seem to make any difference at all and some were too greasy. The Baby Lotion is the best I've found so far.
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    I used about as much as I would use if I were lotioning a part of my body.

:cry: Bad news - my mom (superfine stick straight hair, of course) won't let me put baby lotion in my hair.
    In fact, when I mentioned the fact that I even needed hair products, her response was "what's wrong with what I got you last week?" After a while, I puzzled out that she was talking about the shampoo and conditioner she came home with. Of course, her hair doesn't need a thing so she absolutely doesn't understand that my hair does.
    Then she asked why I can't use the bottle of stuff my aunt (a hairdresser) gave me - a straightening serum. Yeah, that sure works for keeping my natural curl.
    So I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting with products while my mom shakes her head at me...and keep the baby lotion in mind for when I go off to college... :evil:
    OMG, LOOK!!

• patooshipatooshi Registered Users Posts: 41
    im phyced about trying this baby lotion.. but would it work for mr 3A/3B hair? is there ansything that i should do before using it , do i shampoo AND condition?
    3B CURL!
    :cry: Bad news - my mom (superfine stick straight hair, of course) won't let me put baby lotion in my hair.
    In fact, when I mentioned the fact that I even needed hair products, her response was "what's wrong with what I got you last week?" After a while, I puzzled out that she was talking about the shampoo and conditioner she came home with. Of course, her hair doesn't need a thing so she absolutely doesn't understand that my hair does.
    Then she asked why I can't use the bottle of stuff my aunt (a hairdresser) gave me - a straightening serum. Yeah, that sure works for keeping my natural curl.
    So I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting with products while my mom shakes her head at me...and keep the baby lotion in mind for when I go off to college... :evil:

Just to give you a tip - I used to drive my mom crazy with all the products I would buy, and of course we'd end up with half empty bottles of stuff all over the house. She started buying me trial size bottles of things so I could use it a few times, and then buy something else if I didn't like it.

You can get things like Aloe Vera, Shampoo, Conditioner, Baby wash, Baby lotion, etc. in a travel size.

Hmmmmm...those samples are a great idea, babywavy!
    Maybe I can get one of the baby lotion and hide it from my mom... :lol:
    I'm so weird. :roll:
    OMG, LOOK!!

• wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    wild_sasparilla, I generally wouldn't encourage you to disobey your mom, but I really think this is one area where you can push it a little. Especially because she's a straightie! haha
    :lol: Curlies are cooler anyway!
    ~~I'll let everybody know what I wind up getting! (and how it works)
    OMG, LOOK!!

Hmph - turns out they got sold out of the Johnson's brand baby lotion - weird! ...Legion of PJ curlies?? Anyway, I didn't want to risk getting Aveno or something and have it not be the same, so I got GF curl & shine leave-in condish.
    It was just a condish so my mom was happy and didn't think I was being wasteful, I was happy because now I have something to try to get rid of the frizz situation that hopefully won't mess with my curls, and now I'm gonna try it when I shower tonight.
    I have a lot of hair, but it's not coarse, so I'm a bit worried about the possibility of overconditioning. I'm sad cuz I absolutely LOVE the Suave condish for curls - great slip, etc. - but I think I'll have to either use very little or just stick to only the GF leave-in.
    I'll start a new thread about it once I've tried it!
    OMG, LOOK!!

sfcurlee wrote:
    wild_sasparilla, I generally wouldn't encourage you to disobey your mom, but I really think this is one area where you can push it a little. Especially because she's a straightie! haha

I kinda agree. How old are you? Do you have a way to make your own money? Have you ever shown her this site? At least maybe she'll understand a bit more why you're wanting to try different things once she sees how crazy all us wavy/curlies are about our products and the PJ-ism associated with it :lol: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    babywavy wrote:
    I used about as much as I would use if I were lotioning a part of my body.

Okay, now ... this could be alot depending on how big some of our bodies are or what part of the body we're lotioning :lol: ! Details, woman, details!! Penny, nickel, dime size? What, what?!?!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    I feel kind of ashamed to admit this, but I just turned 17, and my mom still has this much control over what I buy at the grocery store!
    I hate conflict with a capital H, which is why it really grates on me when someone constantly shows her disapproval of me and my choices. Couple that with the billions of hour-long speeches ("baby lotion belongs on babies' bottoms, avocado belongs in a salad, honey shouldn't go in the shower...") and it gets to the point where waiting another year till I move away is just the way to go when it comes to doing something she'll launch into tirades about.
    And I had a job at Target, but I had to quit because they demanded more hours than I could give them and still have time to breathe. (When things go above 30 hours a week they get a bit excessive for me, esp. during school) This summer I'm still working on begging for an internship, but I do have money left that I've saved. Money sadly isn't the issue here, but thanx for your concern!
    Wow, this is long! :oops:
    OMG, LOOK!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file