CurlTalk

creams vs. gels

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
Which do you prefer or do you use them together? I have get much better curls with creams but I would like to find a gel because maybe the hold is better. Which are your favorites and why?

I tried Curlisto Gel, Deva, and HESMU and didn't get good curl formation with any.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Which do you prefer or do you use them together? I have get much better curls with creams but I would like to find a gel because maybe the hold is better. Which are your favorites and why?

The purpose of a curl creme is to enhance curls, the purpose of a gel is to provide hold. When a product does some of the other--it's a bonus. I usually use a leave in, curl creme and gel (sometimes a serum.)

Since reading Marsha's blog post:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurljunkie.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F06%2Fdo-i-need-gel-this-is-just-short-post.html" class="Popup

I've been trying to use fewer products, especially in the heat. I now do a leave in or curl creme and a gel. My curls have been about the same. The biggest problem in all the humidity is keeping the definition at the end of the day.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    I use a curl creme to enhance my curls and make them 'pop', also to add shine and a bit of hold. I use a gel kind of as a protective casing for while it's drying and for hold.
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree, KM. My worst problem is keeping the definition in humdity - high dews. That's probably why I prefer cremes so far, because they define my curls which otherwise just want to frizz. I always use a leave in - I'll try a light gel over the creme and hope that it holds the shape better.

Any suggestions for a light gel over creme? I don't like the ones mentioned in my op. Too hard.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I use a cream with a gel.

The cream defines and gives me more hold. A hard hold gel keeps it that way.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • Elphie2983Elphie2983 Posts: 145Registered Users
    I second what curlyhairedfarmer said :)
    Hair Type: 3a with 3b tendencies, medium texture and normal porosity
    Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat and CJDF
    Conditioner/Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, and Suave Naturals (Just not the Coconut), CALI
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, AFG, HESMU
    3rd it.

curlypearl wrote: »
    I agree, KM. My worst problem is keeping the definition in humdity - high dews. That's probably why I prefer cremes so far, because they define my curls which otherwise just want to frizz. I always use a leave in - I'll try a light gel over the creme and hope that it holds the shape better.

Any suggestions for a light gel over creme? I don't like the ones mentioned in my op. Too hard.

I've been using medium hold gels a lot these days. I like the Aquage Defining, Curls Goddess Glaze--and I just started to add a dab of Paul Brown Hawaii Gelatine Goo. I remembered liking it last year, so revived the thread. It doesn't make my hair producty like the BRHG does.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    For a firm hold I like the Aquage Defining or the BRHG (just go easy on them).
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    Today I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CJ CCCC[/buylink] + Boots Mega Hold Gel and got the best results. :blob2:
    When my CJ AFG arrives, I'll see if that makes a difference underneath the boots gel. Any one who has tried CJ AFG, what do you think of it it?
    I think that curl creme + gel = best combo!

• curlsgirlbrazilcurlsgirlbrazil Posts: 234Registered Users
    cream+gel=beautiful curls
    :thumright::love1:
    3b/a

I like my microfiber towel and plopping

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fclubedoscachos.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    No comb,blow-fried, sulfates,silicones detangle Only the [/SIZE]fingers!!
  • TexaskurlTexaskurl Posts: 124Registered Users
    Today was incredibly humid and hot in central Texas. dew point in the 70-something % and 91. My hair frizzed really badly. I co-washed with Suave Coconut, used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl's Aloeba daily conditioner[/buylink] as both rinse out and leave-in (just a little), then [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink] and BRHG. The back looks really good, but the sides and front are very frizzy.
    fine hair, not sure of porosity.
    Deva Care Lo-Poo
    Rinse-outs: AO GPB, JC
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance (a dime's worth)
    Style cream: KCCC, CJ CCCC-lite, & BRHG
    Protein Treatment: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix

Holy Grails: AO GPB, SS Repairing Protein Treatment, KCCC, & BRHG
    Texaskurl wrote: »
    Today was incredibly humid and hot in central Texas. dew point in the 70-something % and 91. My hair frizzed really badly. I co-washed with Suave Coconut, used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl's Aloeba daily conditioner[/buylink] as both rinse out and leave-in (just a little), then [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink] and BRHG. The back looks really good, but the sides and front are very frizzy.

A lot of people have issues with Re: Coil and the magnesium sulfate. It can cause frizz. Most who do use it don't use it all of the time.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexaskurlTexaskurl Posts: 124Registered Users
    Thank you, kathymack. I'll lay off of it for a while.
    fine hair, not sure of porosity.
    Deva Care Lo-Poo
    Rinse-outs: AO GPB, JC
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance (a dime's worth)
    Style cream: KCCC, CJ CCCC-lite, & BRHG
    Protein Treatment: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix

Holy Grails: AO GPB, SS Repairing Protein Treatment, KCCC, & BRHG
  • dezinhaferreiradezinhaferreira Posts: 42Registered Users
    I usually use cream. On wet days using gel and cream together the cream sets and gives me security, the gel protects and maintains the moisture of the wires.

;**
    Brazilian Curly Girl

:toothy10::queen::toothy10: