No-poo method

Donna-epDonna-ep Registered Users Posts: 192
I have some questions about the no-poo method.

Isn't it necessary to wash the hair with shampoo sometimes?

Those of you who is only co-washing - How often do you do it?

Donna
3b textured curly from DK.

Comments

• Donna-epDonna-ep Registered Users Posts: 192
    I was also wondering if it's okay to use oil in the hair when I'm on the no-poo method? I'm thinking that the conditioner maybe can't remove the oil like shampoo, and it would maybe be bad for my hair.

• sammi1225sammi1225 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I'm also wondering the same thing....just bought Deva's no poo and I must say that my curls have been looking awesome w/ no frizz even in the NY humidity but I'm wondering if it will start to leave a coating on my hair and if my hairs actually getting clean.
  • kaysarakaysara Registered Users Posts: 152
    To answer one of your questions, I co-wash once every 4 days. Some people do it only once a week, some people do it every other day.

And yes, your hair can get clean from just conditioner. This is an excerpt from Laura Lee's Guide to Going CG:
    "HOW DOES CONDITIONER GET YOUR HAIR CLEAN?
    Conditioners contain surfactants, just like shampoo. The difference is that the surfactants in conditioners are not anywhere near as harsh and drying on your hair as sulfate surfactants are. These gentle “secondary surfactants” will lift off dirt, oil, and grime from your hair and leave it perfectly clean with some manual friction. Scrub your hair with conditioner, and it will get clean. Common secondary surfactants are cocamidopropyl betaine, sulfosuccinate, hydroxysultaine, and lauryl polyglucose."
    3a/2c, medium texture, thick and dense, normal porosity/elasticity. Cone free since 5/1/09.

Low Poo: SheaM C&S
    Condish: GFS&SZero or SheaM WCR
    Stylers: UFDCM + LALSG
  • Donna-epDonna-ep Registered Users Posts: 192
    Im glad to hear that.
    kaysara wrote: »
    To answer one of your questions, I co-wash once every 4 days. Some people do it only once a week, some people do it every other day.

And yes, your hair can get clean from just conditioner. This is an excerpt from Laura Lee's Guide to Going CG:
    "HOW DOES CONDITIONER GET YOUR HAIR CLEAN?
    Conditioners contain surfactants, just like shampoo. The difference is that the surfactants in conditioners are not anywhere near as harsh and drying on your hair as sulfate surfactants are. These gentle “secondary surfactants” will lift off dirt, oil, and grime from your hair and leave it perfectly clean with some manual friction. Scrub your hair with conditioner, and it will get clean. Common secondary surfactants are cocamidopropyl betaine, sulfosuccinate, hydroxysultaine, and lauryl polyglucose."

You can check out more from that page here: http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Registered Users Posts: 625
    I haven't used shampoo in months, and my hair is actually feeling a little dry right now. I was skeptical at first, but just using conditioner and a good scrub is great just on it's own!

I co-wash every 2-4 days. It depends. If my hair's looking dry, I'll just use my rinse out. If it seems oily, I'll scrub with my co-wash then make sure I use an adequate amount of rinse out after wards.

And it's okay to use oils when you're no poo. I use jojoba oil sometimes if I have surface frizz after styling... but just a drop. And I believe another CG user uses sunflower oil on her hair with good results. But if your hair gets weighed down easily, remember that you might have to co-wash a bit more often since you are putting pure oil in your hair.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpgcurls1-1.jpg
  • Misses_JaiMisses_Jai Registered Users Posts: 97
    i typically co-wash every day or every other day. i too use jojoba oil after styling...
    common sense is not common.....
    CG since Jan 2009.....
    No hair color since 2007..i've stopped fighting the greys....they always win....
    3a/some 2c
    clarify - ACV rinse
    co-wash - NGTT calming conditioner or suave naturals tropical coconut
    rinse-out - sally's GVP cond. balm
    dt - sally's GVP k-pak or lustrasilk
    leave in & styling - KCKT, KCCC, HESMU mousse
    styling loves - DIFFUSING!!! & plopping

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file