Cheapest Place to Buy Unrefined, Organic Shea Butter

Where can I get it? :)

They have it at Sprouts, and I believe the same kind is at Whole Foods (I found out AZ actually DOES have a Whole Foods...12 miles away from where I live!), but it is barely anything! I basically want some to replace my drugstore body lotions that I've been using for my whole body (aside from my face/hair). I know they also have some at Coastal Scents, but isn't it a bit expensive there?
Experimenting w/CG May 09
2b/3aMii, porosity?, oily scalp/DRY hair/no frizz/quick dry/SLOW growth, AZ desert
No parabens, quats, cones, sulfates, glycerin, caster oil, wax, & mineral oil.
Yes minimal protein, minimal oil
?Honey Brown Sugar Aloe Shea ACV Baking soda Magnesium sulfate Lavender poo bars GVP?
Current Plan:
Co-wash: SNC
Leave-In: GDL
CO: AOHR
Low poo: GTTTT
DT: Coconut/Almond/EVO Oil, SNC
Styling: FSG
Tools: Satin pillowcase, Microfiber, scalp brush

Comments

• holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    Ebay.Mine is 10 lbs and I think I got it for 40$(with free shipping).............
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • Cristinabel7Cristinabel7 Posts: 74Registered Users

Anyone else?
    Experimenting w/CG May 09
    2b/3aMii, porosity?, oily scalp/DRY hair/no frizz/quick dry/SLOW growth, AZ desert
    No parabens, quats, cones, sulfates, glycerin, caster oil, wax, & mineral oil.
    Yes minimal protein, minimal oil
    ?Honey Brown Sugar Aloe Shea ACV Baking soda Magnesium sulfate Lavender poo bars GVP?
    Current Plan:
    Co-wash: SNC
    Leave-In: GDL
    CO: AOHR
    Low poo: GTTTT
    DT: Coconut/Almond/EVO Oil, SNC
    Styling: FSG
    Tools: Satin pillowcase, Microfiber, scalp brush
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    Check Garden of Wisdom, Mountain Rose Herbals, and Texas Natural Supply. Please try to make sure you are buying free-trade shea butter.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    ? What do you mean by free trade?

I got 2 lbs from coloradoorganics.net for $19.95 including the shipping. I think it is 15$ before shipping.

not near as good as the ebay one, but good if you don't want to get as much
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • tdb859tdb859 Posts: 4Registered Users
    I also like Texas Natural Supply. They have almost everything and anything you could want- except Grape Seed Extract. They also give in depth info on all the products.
  • sugartwistsugartwist Posts: 156Registered Users
    I usually purchase mine from www.shearadiance.com, but recently purchased a pound from www.organic-creations.com
  • Libra08Libra08 Posts: 242Registered Users
    nasabb.com is having a 50% off sale on July 18. I love their shea butter!
    comic-p.jpg
  • TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
    Libra08 wrote: »

I second Nasaab. It comes in a huge chunk (in a plastic container during the summer) the way God intended it. :laughing6: Black soap is the ish, too, and she ships quickly.

Mountain Rose Herbs shea is good, too. It's quick melted and comes in a screw-top jar. Though it's unrefined, has a lighter scent that Nasabb and can be slightly grainy-er (this doesn't affect it, though). The tree huggers-- I mean, folks-- there are VERY knowledgable, so email/call them. Their site is extensive and they have other carrier oils and butters that Nasaab doesn't carry.

Good luck!
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Libra08 wrote: »

Today I received the Nasabb shea butter that you recommended and I notice it's stiff and emulsifies in my hands but it's still kind of stiff. Do you ever melt it in the microwave to soften it up so it doesn't disrupt your curls when you apply it?

I put it on my dry hair and it softened it.

Also, can I ask, tell me everything you use on your hair! It's so pretty and strong looking.

I tried to PM this but your inbox is full :D
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Where can I get it? :)

They have it at Sprouts, and I believe the same kind is at Whole Foods (I found out AZ actually DOES have a Whole Foods...12 miles away from where I live!), but it is barely anything! I basically want some to replace my drugstore body lotions that I've been using for my whole body (aside from my face/hair). I know they also have some at Coastal Scents, but isn't it a bit expensive there?

I'm unsure what city you live in, but I live in Phoenix, in the Tempe area. I usually go to Sunflower and buy unrefined shea butter and cocoa butter, along with carrier and essential oils. There is also Sprouts and Trader Joe's. I have only been to Sprouts once, and I'm planning to go to Trader Joe's today for the first time, but they both seem to have what Whole Foods carries, but I'd assume Trader Joe's is cheaper, so is Sunflower.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    I'm new to all the hair science. Is there a benefit to using unrefined shea or cocoa butter? Can anyone help. I'd like to order some but some sites sell the refined butters. Which is better and why? TIA.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • breezybabybreezybaby Posts: 347Registered Users
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    breezybaby wrote: »

Thanks, the website was very informative.:thumbup:
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • afiadomaafiadoma Posts: 1Registered Users
    There's a lady in chandler selling wholesale to small shops and cosmetic manufactuers, she brings it straight from Africa, she also has bentoinite clay, black soap and cocoa butter. The number to her place is 6236888019. She did sell me a couple so I'm sure she will sell it to you and it was much cheaper than wholefoods. I also know that her prices are considerably lower if you are retailing on amazon, ebay etc...
  • DonnitaMaeDonnitaMae Posts: 22Registered Users
    Essential Depot 2 pounds for 19.95 free shipping. They have other options too. And lots of other oils. I buy supplies for them for my soap making hobby.

Organic Shea Butter - Grade A - Unrefined - 32 oz - FREE SHIPPING - LIMITED TIME SALE - Not eligible for other promotions
    Silver CG since September 2014
    2C/3A/Medium Texture/Medium Porosity/Thick Density
    Photos: http://public.fotki.com/DonnitaMae/curls/
    Password: sarie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file