The donut-lovin', pie-eatin' weight loss support thread

12345679»

Comments

• curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Posts: 133Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Befrizzled wrote:
    I'm singling out the bigger parts instead of looking at me as a whole.

Me too! Must try to stay positive...

Anyways I've had to eat two big meals recently (social occasions) so I feel a bit ugh, but not terribly so. I think I'm going to have lunch twice today rather than dinner: I eat a lot less at lunch. That way when I go to bed I won't feel like an elephant! I'm going to stay away from the scales till I've had a few days to lose the effect of the mountain of shepherd's pie I was given yesterday.

Ooh and one rubbishy thing (coz I'm sure you guys have nothing better to do than listen to me complain :P) is the scales I've got for at uni. I tried them to make sure they work and they gave me a scary number. So I just got them out again and weighed myself on the home scales and the uni scales and the uni ones make me 2.25 pounds more! I guess I'll just always subtract 2 pounds when I weigh myself at uni.

Thanks for all the congrats guys! :) I will be postive. And good luck with The Big Event Befrizzled!
    UK curly, 2C/3A
    CG, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
    My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks a bunch for the welcomes, I really appreciate it.

I worked out Sunday and Monday after 8-week hiatus, and I can tell you that when I inhale, it hurts :lol:

Saw my nutritionist today. She gave me some meta-goals and tips about keeping my blood sugar even and we strategized on snacks and eating a light snack in the a.m. Will try to keep to my non-workout plan even though I've started to work out. My goals is 1 lb. a week

Good food day overall:
    Bfast - 3 slices of canadian bacon, Weight Watchers breakfast sandwich, Dunkin Donuts great one w/ whole milk
    Snack - :oops: 2 small pieces of some donuts (1/5 ea. of 2) + smaller coffee w/2% milk
    Lunch - large chicken cutlet cobb organic salad w/ honey mustard dressing - yummy! + 1/2 slice of bread. Iced green & white tea, no sugar added.
    Snack (late) - 3 bites of a Tryoplex bar and 24 oz. of water
    Dinner - nuked curried tuna, handful of soba noodes and frozen stir-fry veggies (yummy!) -- most of it Trader Joes prepared stuff.
    Snack - 2 Dove minis and 1/2 glass 1% milk.

I joined Weight Watchers on-line trial but haven't used it. Points don't work for me, may switch to Core and see what happens.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    So things have been status quo. Got home to my scale this afternoon, and I was 124.0, midafternoon. That's only a pound away from what I was August 18th, but less than what I was at school two weeks ago (which I estimated at 126-127 from the 129 on the scale. My old scale was 5 pounds less than this one, but my new scale is 3 pounds more than the old, so that would leave a 2 pound difference between her scale and mine, 3 for good meausre, either way meaning I lost weight). So.. now that I'm more active, do I need more calories to lose (past two weeks have been relatively high if not over what my losing range is), or am I eating too much to lose? Hard to say which is the case, since I don't have a scale to corrolate weight to calories. I upped my spark counter to maintenance for the time being, and today had 1807 calories. :shock: I'm just not sure if I was still eating too little or if I'm eating too much and gained, since I was losing at about 1 pound per week before. My gym time has decreased, but I'm up and alert all day now, walking in between classes, constantly busy, and that has to expend more energy than sitting down all day. Maybe for scientific purposes, it's time for a scale? Who knows. The only time I can really try and monitor what's going on is at home, which isn't helping me for any kind of future, long-term maintenance.
    Under construction.
    Well, I seem to be stuck. I keep switching from 8st 11 (my goal) to 8st 12 and back again. I'd really like to get at least a few pounds under the goal just so if I have a bad day I won't go back over it. Plus I still feel bigger than I'd like to. And the Evil Uni Scales would put my at 9st if I was 8st 12 at home... grr...

What's really weird atm is how to deal with not having much of an appetite! I've always had a small lunch and now after it I feel really full. I have two ryvitas (one with 13 calories worth of low fat cream cheese, the other with a meat-paste thing) (if you don't know what they are: http://web.ivenue.com/holonfoods/images/RYVITA-SESAME-RYE.jpg ), an apple or some grapes, a low-fat yoghurt and half a kitkat (I need my chocolate fix! Only 53 calories). And then I feel "oh my goodness I ate so much" full! Which sucks coz I don't know what to get rid of or whether that counts as overeating for me now?! Anyways, just confused.

I have a question for you guys: does wearing clothes that have got too big make you look thinner or bigger? Coz since losing I've hated wearing old stuff coz I feel enormous so am wondering about throwing it out/ storing it incase I get bigger again. But mum keeps telling me if you wear bigger stuff you look thinner (maybe because it looks to big for you? I dunno). Anyways, what do you guys think? Thanks!

Hope things are going well for everyone :)
    UK curly, 2C/3A

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I think if you wear bigger clothes, it tends to make you look bigger. Shirts and pants that hang off of you hide your actual figure.

As much as it kills me sometimes, I force myself to wear clothes that actually fit, instead of clothes that "hide" my flaws.

Also, if I were you I'd keep some of my "fat" clothes. The last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I threw away everything that was too big for me... and then I ended up gaining the weight back in college and had to buy all new clothes. Throwing away those clothes can be a good motivator to keep exercising and eating right, but it can also bite you in the ass later on if you don't keep the weight off. So, my "fat" clothes go into a bag, and I put them in the storage room instead of keeping them with my regular clothes. That way, they're out of sight out of mind, but they're still there just in case, you know?

Anyway, this might be TMI, but it's that time of the month for me, and I can't stand the thought of ANY food. Isn't that weird? I'm usually thinking, "CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE GIMME CHOCOLATE AHHHHHHH!" but now just smelling certain foods makes me want to gag. I'll only eat when my stomach is seriously growling at me, and even then I fill up fast. My food always gets cold before I finish even half of it.

It doesn't really bother me, but it makes me kinda curious. :lol:
    So I used to not eat at all, especially on holidays. Now that I do, calories run up way fast, just because foods are "special" ones. I've average over 2000 calories Friday, Sat and today. I was 123.0 until this morning, when I was 124.5. Can one possibly gain 1.5 pounds in a day? Or it probably other factors as well? Instead of flipping out, I'm realizing I won't be eating like this after today, so if it is a bona fide 1.5 pounds, it'll come off within 2 weeks, so no need to panic. I thought my stomach looked flatter today than it did yesterday anyway. I have to say, it's cool to not have forbidden foods or deny myself things I looove but only get to have once or twice a year. I'm taking a scale back to school with me so I can learn how my weight corrolates to how many calories I eat, so I can learn what's too low and too high. I think this was my first positive holiday experience in a VERY long time, and my first non-mood-wrecking weight gain. Sweet. :lol:
    Under construction.
    Hmm, I doubt you can gain 1.5 pounds in a day, but I'm no expert. I'd expect it's just random other things. Maybe the scales were in a mood... Glad you were able to enjoy all the good food!

Ooh I went out for a final meal with friends (before uni) and, as well as it being really fun (I do have a life beyond food, honest!) the food was gorgeous! Especially the chocolate sundae I shared: mini marshmallows, cookie dough... *drools on the keyboard*. Anyways with that and another recent meal out I was expecting to have put on more weight. I decided I would face the scales because it's my last oppurtunity before I leave. And... I'm down to the lowest I've ever been! 8st 10. That means 1 stone, 1 pound lost :). V chuffed. I have been working hard apart from the meals though so I guess it makes sense. I'm going out with parents for a 'pudding evening' tonight (non of us like to overeat so we just order pudding and enjoy them rather than having a huge meal and feeling bloated) so hopefully I won't put the pound staright back on!

Hope everyone's doing well! And I will keep the 'fat clothes' utopia: who knows what'll happen at uni...
    UK curly, 2C/3A

• meegsmeegs Posts: 354Registered Users
    Well, this weekend was not so hot. But it was my first not so hot weekend in quite a while. Friday, Saturday AND Sunday were all not that great. And tonight I have made dinner out plans. And next weekend is my sister's birthday, so there will be more opportunities to overeat. Oh well. So long as I stick to good eating on all the other days, and so long as I keep working out, I don't really gain weight. I lose it much slower than I'd like. But in the eight months I've been losing weight, the numbers have always ultimately gone down, never up. I'm not saying that it'll always and forever be like that, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Good thing about last week is that I did four cardio workouts and two weight-training workouts--hit the target again, for like the third week in a row. This is my last week of running and walking combo for cardio. Starting next week, I will be running for 20 minutes straight. I'll keep my 5-minute walking blocks before and after, plus my 2-minute warm-up and 5-minute cooldown. I feel great. My workouts are all going great. I'm never up against a workout I can't handle. I feel stronger each time I'm out there. I never thought I'd say this about working out, but I'm loving it.

I'm going to hit two major milestones: 50 pounds lost and 20 minutes of running within a few weeks of each other. Go me! I'm going to have to come up with a way to celebrate. I'm definitely going to be buying some new clothes in the near future. I have no cold weather work clothes that fit me, and my summer/fallish clothes are hanging off me. I'm trying to hold out for another week or two, then I'm going to pick up some winter clothes. And then I can make yet another deposit into my "this doesn't fit" pile. Woo hoo! But I think I need to get a little something extra just to reward myself. 8)

Hope everyone else is doing OK.
    2b-ish--embracing my waves this summer
    Aussie Catch the Wave condish, L'Oreal NutriGloss condish; Nexxus Designing Texxtur Cream, Rusk Radical Creme, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam; coconut oil for DTs
    Now, I hope everyone has been MIA because they're busy working out and cooking healthy meals...not because we're all falling off the wagon.

:wink:
    Aussie Catch the Wave condish, L'Oreal NutriGloss condish; Nexxus Designing Texxtur Cream, Rusk Radical Creme, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam; coconut oil for DTs
    I've been doing the maintaining gig for about a week now, and I think I'm switching back to losing for the remaining few pounds. I didn't weight myself everyday at school, but when I did, I was all over the place. I've been between 123.5 and 127. I'd like to get a little more consistent, but I'm fairly sure that had to do with other circumstances. I have had negative time to work out, but I'm doing my best to walk as much as possible around campus, take stairs, park far away when I go to the store, etc... and this actually motivates me to get errands done. I'm sure this will change once it gets cold, as it's already uncomfortably chilly at night (especially in the pouring rain). Since I lost weight, I'm much colder than I used to be, so winter this year is going to be interesting. I used to love winter, but now I don't have nearly the same tolerance for cold as I used to. I bought a fleece that was supposed to be really really warm, but there have been days it just did not cut it.

Anyway, I hope everyone has been doing well! Meegs, congrats on the running! That's so great! I really admire you for that. :)
    Under construction.
    Hey guys!

Congrats on the goals meegs!

I haven't posted for aaages coz I'm now at uni and life has changed so much. I've lost 2 pounds since coming here a week ago which is a bit crazy. It's weird: I've gone from lazing around to walking most of the time and even walking (down not up...) the enormous hill my uni is on. Things are going well. I really hate cooking, not that I've done anything impressive enough to count really: spaghetti bolegnase of which I made so much by mistake someone else had to eat half of it! Otherwise random things with pasta.

What's been great though is that now people think I'm just one of those thin people. When walking down the hill I got a stitch in my side and was talking to a friend about how me and exercise don't get on. He was like "but you're so thin!". And in a similar conversation with a girl she was like "so how do you get to have a figure like yours without exercising?". Crazy, crazy world. Anyways it motivates me to try and at least stay the same weight. Also crazily all my cake and chocolate cravings have left me since coming here! V cool.

Hope everyone's doing well. Must go to bed now: tiss 1.38am and have a lecture at 9.15...
    UK curly, 2C/3A

OK, I did it! Yesterday I ran 20 minutes. Yay me! It's kind of weird. Even though the physical effort is about the same (running 18 min/walking 2 compared with just running the whole 20), it's a whole new mental ballgame not having those intervals to break things up with. I'm very proud of myself, but I know I have a lot of work still to go. I'm sticking with this for at least 2-3 weeks before I start adding more time.

I ate way too much this weekend, and combined with the fact that I'm being visit by Aunt Flo, I'm feeling really crappy and generally enormous right now. But I have been getting a lot of nice compliments over the past few days, so that always makes me feel better.

Hope everyone else is doing good!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just wanted to mention, you probably wouldn't really gain 1.5 pounds a day. If a pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories, then that would mean overeating by 5250 calories. The day-to-day fluctuations in weight aren't caused by gaining fat. They're caused by things like retaining water after eating a lot of salt. And of course, if you ever need to quickly shave a couple of pounds off before a special occasion, avoiding salt for a few days is a good, temporary fix.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My nutrionist gave me a great defnition of full that I thought I would share. We had been discussing how I was trying to recognizing being comfortably/adequately full vs. bursting out of my jeans/sucking in my gut full :D

Full = no longer hungry.

This may be something everyone else but me knew. I'm sitting here eating my sandwich and have stopped at half a sandwich because --- I am no longer hungry!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Has this thread completely died? :(

I've been absolutely STARVING the past few days. I mean, to the point where I think I'm literally going to be sick if I don't eat something. I can't tell if it's a blood sugar thing or a hunger thing, but it's really unpleasant. And then when I eat, I end up eating so fast. I wake up like this and it goes throughout the day. And as of this morning, I've lost 2.5 pounds since Friday, and I've been eating between 1540-1730 calories. I don't think I've increased activity. I just ate a veggie sub and two pieces of mini dove chocolate and I'm still SO hungry. I've also been really thirsty. But I'm also not interested in food. I don't feel like eating, nothing appeals to me, and most of it just sounds plain old gross. I've gotten to the point where I call my mom for food suggestions because whatever I think of doesn't interest me.

Something's changing, I just haven't figured out what. I'm now glad I have a scale at school so I can monitor this.
    Under construction.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Hey, I know you posted this a few days ago but I just saw it and wanted to make sure you're okay!

I don't know what would cause increased thirst and hunger except more activity and the evil monthly visitor. If it doesn't get better, maybe you should pay your nutritionist a visit?

I know that I'm currently suffering from the latter, and while everything sounds really unappetizing, my stomach growls a lot. I usually end up eating slightly more carbs during that week because nothing else fills me up, and I don't want to be starving all day.

Due to my work schedule lately, I've fallen... halfway off the wagon. Just imagine a big banana nut muffin knocked me off, and I managed to grab onto the back end of the wagon and am currently hanging on for dear life. :wink: I need to figure out how to pull myself back.

One thing I've been debating is getting an elliptical or some other kind of exercise machine to put in the living room. Any suggestions? Due to budget constraints, I wouldn't be able to get one until spring probably, but it would solve two big issues I have with exercise: 1) actually leaving the apartment to go to the gym and work out in front of strangers, and 2) using workout videos. I've decided that videos are the debbil. Upbeat people just anger me. :wink: I even composed a letter:

Dear Richard Simmons,

Exercise sucks. You know it, and I know it. It's a necessary evil. Just show me the moves I need to do to lose weight and shut up about it already. Yelling, "Shake that fat off!" is NOT motivating. Go to hell.

Love, Jen
    I hope this thread hasn't died! It's always fun/encouraging to see what everyone's been up to.

Lately, I've been eating a fair amount. I'd say I'm up to maybe ~1800 calories/day if I average it out over the course of a week or so, with a 1600-2200 range. I start each day with my meals roughly planned out at a calorie target of 1600-1700. I then usually wind up grabbing a little something extra for a snack, or maybe having a small second helping of my favorite dish at dinner.

I'm still losing, at the rate of maybe not quite 1 lb/week. Perhaps more like 3 lb/4 weeks or 4lb/5 weeks. However, I'm feeling great. And what's more, my weight is very stable. Before, when I was eating less (started @ ~1400 calories/day when I first went on this diet, then up to ~1600), my weight would fluctuate from day to day, sometimes massively. Ultimately, the fluctuations would add up to about 1 lb lost per week, but it was maddening to see my weight jump up and down, never knowing exactly what number I'd see when I stepped on the scale. Now, my weight is steady or moving down. I won't say it never fluctuates, but my body seems to have hit a nice, stable rhythm.

Of course, the less you weigh the less calories your body needs, so I might have to cut back down when I lose another 10 lb or so. But then again, I might experiment with keeping my food intake where I'm at, and just continuing to up my workouts.

Speaking of workouts, they're going great too. I'm not as consistent with my weight training as I should be, but my running is going great. I'm up to 10 miles per week (2.5 miles each x 4 runs per week). I'd like to increase that to 15 and start varying those runs...make one a little longer than the others, maybe do a little interval training one day, etc. Then I want to run a 5K race. After that, who knows. I absolutely LOVE running. In just a few months, it has become my oasis of sanity. I marvel at how the miles just fly by, and compare that with where I was just a few months ago. It's a good feeling. :D
    I was back up 2 of the 2.5 pounds the day after I poster. Whuteva. I didn't count this weekend and ate things I'd been craving (pb and bananas on white bread, fried fish sandwich, tuna sub, lots of chocolate)--I wouldn't be surprised if I averaged 3000 at least one of the days. But midday today, after having food in me, I still weighed what I did when I left. I'm not complaining. :lol:

Sigh. I just want to lose the pooch. That's it.
    Under construction.
    Where did everyone disappear to? :(

I haven't had any sort of time to exercise, but I'm working on motivating myself back to my losing range so I can lose these last 5-10 pounds and be done with it. I'm going to Italy in March and that is my true end goal date, because I'd like to be super comfortable with myself there and not kick myself for eating like crap, because hopefully I'll have a figure I like and won't feel gross about eating in front of everyone else going. My short term goal is toward the end of December, when I'm going to meet my bf's parents and the rest of the fam. Ideally, being comfortable with myself then would be a huge massive plus. I don't lose weight quickly though, and I've got 10 pounds max to go, I'm thinking, and I've got just over 5 weeks, which includes Thanksgiving, when you know I won't be counting calories. I've got to step up the exercise, but the semester is about to get NUTS because it's almost over. I'm still starving some days and feeling super sick until I eat, and other days, food just couldn't interest me or the smell/thought of it turns my stomach. My mother thought I was pregnant because of all of it, but I'm not. So it's just a matter of keeping myself motivated and reminding myself how bad I want the end product already.
    Under construction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file