Can anyone help my mom?

callipygiacallipygia Posts: 31Registered Users
I want to find some help for my mom! :cry:

My mom is a beautiful lady who has worked hard for everything her entire life. She's currently helping me through school when she can and has been dealing with a lot in her personal life.

I posted this in the "Ask a Dermatology Nurse" thread, but it was an old thread and I don't think anyone's looked at it in awhile. Anyways, my mom has adult acne and has a variety of bad reactions to foods and topical creams. I would refer her to a dermatologist, but she doesn't have healthcare and money is tight. She had what she thought was eczema on her fingers for awhile, but that eventually went away. Now, when she eats or touches spinach, oranges, or tomatoes, she breaks out on her hands and her face. Topical creams and soaps like Clearasil and Cetophil have helped a bit, but she has really sensitive skin, so they end up drying it out. She currently uses Aveeno soap, and I think that lets her wash her face, but doesn't get rid of the acne. Because her skin dries out so easily with the Clearasil (spot treatments), she is always trying to moisturize her skin, which I think makes it break out more.

Her skin is always red and irritated-looking. I've suggested an aspirin mask to her, but IMO that would probably not be good for her sensitive and easily-dried skin. Does anyone know of anything short of antibiotics that might help her? Or does anyone know if she may be showing the symptoms of a condition other than adult acne? I <3 my mom very much, and I'm basically using you guys as a last resort. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely appreciative.

Thanks!
3C/4A...I'm not sure. I'm part Polish, Swedish, Swiss-German, and half Liberian with a crazy hair type.
pw: bunny

Comments

• curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    callipygia wrote:
    when she eats or touches spinach, oranges, or tomatoes, she breaks out on her hands and her face.

That sounds like an allergy. I'm allergic to spinach too. I avoid it, if I accidentally eat it anti-histamines clear up the reaction.
    callipygia wrote:
    Topical creams and soaps like Clearasil and Cetophil have helped a bit, but she has really sensitive skin, so they end up drying it out. She currently uses Aveeno soap, and I think that lets her wash her face, but doesn't get rid of the acne. Because her skin dries out so easily with the Clearasil (spot treatments), she is always trying to moisturize her skin, which I think makes it break out more.

I also have sensitive skin and Clearsil is way too harsh. Has your mum tried a facial cleanser, not soap, for sensitive skin? Try a moisturiser for sensitive skin too. Don't over-cleanse skin, it causes it too dry out which leads to producing more natural oils, so blocking pores and adding more moisturiser will also block pores leading to spots.
    callipygia wrote:
    Her skin is always red and irritated-looking. I've suggested an aspirin mask to her, but IMO that would probably not be good for her sensitive and easily-dried skin. Does anyone know of anything short of antibiotics that might help her? Or does anyone know if she may be showing the symptoms of a condition other than adult acne?

Sensitive skin will usually look irritated, especially after cleansing or manipulating it in anyway. Maybe you mum has rosacea which can cause the skin to look red and inflammed. I would avoiding an aspirin mask, that could just make your mum's skin more irritated.

In terms of anti-biotics I would let a dermatologist determine whether or not they are needed. Try other routes before medication. I've been on pretty much every medication for acne known to mankind and it's not fun! I'm not even allowed to use them anymore. I use products with BHAs in them and they seem to work at the moment. I also avoid products with mineral oil in them.
    callipygia wrote:
    I <3 my mom very much, and I'm basically using you guys as a last resort. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely appreciative.

Your mum is very lucky to have you. I hope I've helped in some way. :D
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    Sorry for the late reply :( ...I posted a reply in the Ask a Derm nurse thread.
    .png
  • callipygiacallipygia Posts: 31Registered Users
    Hey, it's ok :) . I got your reply (both of them) and am really thankful for it. I wasn't sure if the other thread was still being used, so I tried to cover all my bases, so to speak. Thanks so much to both of you for responding to me. I'm going to share this with my mom this evening. :)
    3C/4A...I'm not sure. I'm part Polish, Swedish, Swiss-German, and half Liberian with a crazy hair type.
    Hey callipygia,

How's you mum?
  • callipygiacallipygia Posts: 31Registered Users
    She's doing a little better. I gave her all your suggestions and she's started keeping track of what she eats in addition to trying to stay away from the sun/wearing sunscreen, etc. So far, she's been really, really busy (she teaches 7 classes at a university here), so she hasn't been able to do more than the basics. I give her more info about stuff each day (vitamin b5, iodine, retinol, etc.), so hopefully when she's able to do so, she'll be armed with enough information to make a decision about a dermatologist and about what treatment is right for her.

Thanks so much for asking about her! :)
    Yay! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file