POTC: Dead Men's Chest

FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
For those that have seen it, did you stay until the very end of the credits for the bonus scene?
[FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Comments

• curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    Nope, but just because I was so ready to walk around after sitting for 2 and a half freakin hours!! A friend told me what happened though.

Did you like the movie? I was disappointed. :(
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    I thought the first one was better. This one was longish (to be nice). the special effects were amazing. The first one was wittier. I thinkthey tried to do too much in this and the humor was obvious and sometimes fell flat.

• FoxyCurl2FoxyCurl2 Posts: 136Registered Users
    What happened after the credits!!!
    I can't believe I missed it!
  • duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    yes, please do tell what happened after the credits! My boyfriend talked me into seeing the midnight showing, and when it ended at 2:30, I was all kinds of ready to go since I had to work at 8.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DH and I just got back from seeing it... While it was a bit long we both enjoyed it immensly...

DH just said it wasn't long enough.. and he's saying "Arrrrghh" every chance he gets.. I swear I married a 12 year old sometimes!!

Orlando had a huge role this time.. and I love the guys that are back from last movie!!

~d

After the credits.... (SPOILER AHEAD)

they show the dog sitting on the throne with all the island natives worshipping him!!! really dorky!!!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Posts: 381Registered Users
    I'll copy my...assessment of the movie from my other forum. First I have to add a few things that I forgot to post in the original post:

1) The humor was a lot more...forced.
    2) Even though I'm thinking now that Jack/Elizabeth is wrong, that was one hell of a kiss. :D
    3) I loved all the references to the first movie: "Hide the rum!" "Still rooting for you, mate"
    4) I'm thinking this movie and #3 as more like a single continuation of the first one. Like, Movies 2 and 3 are basically one long movie split in half. Whereas the first movie could just stand alone. (Does that make sense?)

In advance, this is a longish post and my thoughts are sort of random and jump all over the place. Oh, and I found the answers to the questions I asked in there.

Kay, so.

I *think* I loved it...It was just WAY WAY WAY more complex than the first movie. The first movie had like one goal...this one was full of lies and deception and a million things going on. It was so confusing...I'm seeing it at least once more because I am still not sure what completely happened.

All the characters were a lot different in this movie! The whole overtone of the movie was a lot sadder and darker than the first movie, IMO. I mean, Jack and Will (and Norrington) were going to flippin KILL EACH OTHER and then Elizabeth LEFT JACK and then Will isn't sure about Elizabeth anymore...I'm like "WHY AREN'T YOU ALL FRIENDS LIKE YOU WERE IN THE FIRST MOVIE?! WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST BE FRIENDS? WHERE IS THE LOVE?!?!"

...er, yeah. Basically, the whole movie made me sad.

Jack isn't dead, because there wouldn't be any point to the 3rd movie, and also because the newspaper said that Keith Richards was playing his dad in the next movie and he meets up with Jack.

Speaking of Jack, he seemed different than the first movie. He was....I dunno. He lost some of his swaggery-dazedness, you know? He was more serious, I suppose.

And OMG does Elizabeth like Jack or Will? I think that yes, Elizabeth is attracted to Jack a bit, but she loves Will more. The whole compass thing and what you want confused me... But I'm halfway between OMG JACK/ELIZABETH IS SO WRONG and SQUEE JACK/ELIZABETH!. So in the end I guess I want Elizabeth/Will. Because I would be sad if Elizabeth went with Jack and Will was left crying in a corner.

Norrington was way hot. (And ya know, so was Jack and Will...so much eye candy in this movie)

The tree hut lady is my NEW FAVORITE CHARACTER. I loved her so much.

Now please explain to me some bits that I didn't get: What exactly is Davy Jones' love story? I know the lady explained it, but I had some trouble understanding her. Also, why did Norrington want the heart, again? Something about the East India Company...I don't really know. And Jack didn't want to kill the heart because even though Davy Jones would be dead, the kraken would still be alive and would still kill Jack?

Also, they never really explained how or why Jack was in the coffin thing at the beginning...?

Some gripes: I agree with who ever sad that they tried to cram too much into this movie. There was too much going on for my puny brain to comprehend. 2.5 hours didn't seem long at all (because there was so much going on), but some scenes were too drawn out - more specifically, the wheel scene. They could have cut a few minutes or so out of that scene. And, of course, I didn't like how everyone was mean to each other.

Barbosa coming back at the end...surprised me. How the hell did he come back from the dead? And that was such a mean cliffhanger.

The style of this movie was just very different from the first one, you know? Sort of a mild shock...

All in all, I think I really liked this movie (but not as much as the first one), but I have to see it at least once more for me to fully understand and appreciate it.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: http://photobucket.com/albums/a119/CrazyCurlyQ/

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    WOW, so many questions! I'll see what I can do to answer you.
    1) The humor was a lot more...forced.
    I totally agree. the movie was not nearly as witty as the first one.

Speaking of Jack, he seemed different than the first movie. He was....I dunno. He lost some of his swaggery-dazedness, you know? He was more serious, I suppose.

He was trying too hard I felt.
    And OMG does Elizabeth like Jack or Will?
    She loves Will. She's toying with Jack because she realizes Jack only cares about himself.
    I think that yes, Elizabeth is attracted to Jack a bit, but she loves Will more.
    The tree hut lady is my NEW FAVORITE CHARACTER. I loved her so much.

yeah, she was good.
    Now please explain to me some bits that I didn't get: What exactly is Davy Jones' love story? I know the lady explained it, but I had some trouble understanding her.

In short, Davy loved a woman, lost her. The pain was too much so he cut out his heart so it couldbe hurt again. He placed it in the chest and hid it. However I also had a little trouble understanding some of the exposition on this sotry so I may have missed some parts.
    Also, why did Norrington want the heart, again? Something about the East India Company...I don't really know.

Norrington wanted the heart so that he could give it to the Guy (Tom Hollander, forgot the character's name) and in exchange get his position as Commander in the Navy back again.
    And Jack didn't want to kill the heart because even though Davy Jones would be dead, the kraken would still be alive and would still kill Jack?
    Exactly.
    Also, they never really explained how or why Jack was in the coffin thing at the beginning...?

Jack infliltrated the prison to get the map/clue for the Key to the chest. He escaped very Count of Monte Cristo-like from the prison by stowing away in a coffin with a dead prisoner.

Some gripes: I agree with who ever sad that they tried to cram too much into this movie. There was too much going on for my puny brain to comprehend. 2.5 hours didn't seem long at all (because there was so much going on), but some scenes were too drawn out - more specifically, the wheel scene. They could have cut a few minutes or so out of that scene. And, of course, I didn't like how everyone was mean to each other.

My beef with that wheel thing was that I thought they were repeating themselves. It was very much like the ball scene with Will and the other prisoners in the cage at the beginning of the film. I felt like they fan out of ideas with that big rolling thing through the jungle thing.
    Barbosa coming back at the end...surprised me. How the hell did he come back from the dead? And that was such a mean cliffhanger.

He was shot at the end of the last film. we assumed he died but I guess he was nursedback to life.
    The style of this movie was just very different from the first one, you know? Sort of a mild shock...

All in all, I think I really liked this movie (but not as much as the first one), but I have to see it at least once more for me to fully understand and appreciate it.

• MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First one was better,but I did get my JD fix :)
    I heart Geoffrey Rusch,too :)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    About Jack/Elizabeth/Will...someone else posted this on another forum, but it sums up my feelings *exactly* about them:

I think Elizabeth being kind of torn between Jack and Will shows that her character has a bit of a fickle streak, which adds to her development. She thought she wanted Will for a long time and was going to marry him and all, but Jack's flirting made her question that. The compass pointing at him probably isn't displaying her deepest feelings, more like what was on her mind at the time, and I think in the end she'll choose Will. Jack doesn't really need a woman, and honestly I wouldn't trust him with one; poor Will would be pretty upset if he lost Elizabeth, because he's loved her pretty much since he first met her.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Yeah, I could never forgive Elizabeth for hurting Will so much if she chose Jack!!
    I'm a little concerned about the compass thing, though - both Elizabeth and Jack have some hinting with it! Remember when Jack looked at his compass and went back to the Pearl? Then he said to Elizabeth "It's just a ship," so we know he wasn't just returning to his dear Black Pearl. Couple that with all his other my-compass-is-all-screwy moments and the tree hut lady saying he doesn't know what he wants...
    OMG, I am hoping beyond hope that Will/chest/whatever just happened to be in the same direction Jack was when Elizabeth had her compass issues, and Jack wanted most not Elizabeth, but to save his friends at that moment when he returned to the ship. You know - "to do the right thing."
    When Jack shot the ammo to fend off the krakken with Elizabeth clinging to his ankle, that was pretty intense...but still not enough to root for Jack and Elizabeth to get together!
    Come on, they promised in the first movie that Will and Elizabeth would live happily ever after - they can't have Elizabeth get all fickle and dumb and abandon poor Will!
    So that's my say - sorry it's so long.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 555Registered Users
    DO NOT STAY FOR THE CREDITS.

The bonus scene was not funny nor interesting.

A radio reviewer insisted that the masses stay for after the credits because something "really funny and good stuff" happens after the credits roll. He insists, despite describing the credits as "taking as long as the movie."

I think the credits rolled for nearly 30 friggin' minutes... the "bonus scene" was a 5-second blip, and that's 30 minutes of your life that you will never get back.
    The good people do is interred with their bones. Their mistakes live on forever...
    Also, I agreed with the radio reviewer... cut out the whole "cannibals" scene, and the movie is perfect.

I thought it was really entertaining and humorous and scary. I like movies long, except when it's wasted effort to get there. Chop the 20 minutes that was the whole island cannibals shenanigans... and I really have no complaints about the movie. #1 was better, but isn't that usually the way?
    The good people do is interred with their bones. Their mistakes live on forever...
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Still though, the scene with all the guys runing with the big ball was pretty funny :)

Yes I htought the humor was a bit too forced and I was about to smack Elizabeth for getting to tongue my dear Jack :)

Still thought it was great...sad it was left so open, I like having SOME closeur at the end of a 2 and a 1/2 hour movie!
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

Starrwithoutnite said
    Still thought it was great...sad it was left so open, I like having SOME closeur at the end of a 2 and a 1/2 hour movie!
    Especially when we have to wait like a year - or more - for the next movie!
    OMG, LOOK!!

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Ahh, just got back from an 8:45 showing... I better keep this short, because I feel like I'm going to fall asleep any minute (maybe by then my legs will wake up, from sitting for 2 and a half hours.

I thought it was good. I agree, humor was a little forced. It's terrible what they did to us at the end, though. I was sure there was at least 20 more minutes! But, I'll tell you what - they have my ticket as good as purchased for the next movie. They did a great job in that department.

Glad I didn't wait for the little bonus scene. I waited for about 5 minutes, and then decided it wasn't worth it. :P

I do have two questions:

First, do you think Will knew what Elizabeth was doing when she kissed Jack? Or, do you think he had no idea, and that she may love/like/whatever Jack now, instead of himself?

Secondly, can anyone explain that dices game to me? I was really confused.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey

First, do you think Will knew what Elizabeth was doing when she kissed Jack? Or, do you think he had no idea, and that she may love/like/whatever Jack now, instead of himself?

I don't think Will knew what she was doing. Or at least he wasn't completly sure. He looked rather...confused and a bit sad in the last scene, don't you think?
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Secondly, can anyone explain that dices game to me? I was really confused.

Sarah

It's kind of tough and I'm not sure I understand it correctly, but I'll tell you how *I* understood it.

- Everyone tosses the dice.
    - ALL the dice count towards the final outcome.
    - Each player "bids" what they think is the best grouping based upon the bids of others.
    - I don't know at what point someone calls a bluff, but Davey Jones clearly knew that Old Bill Turner was full of sheist wen he called "12" or "15" fives based on the number of fives he had in his hand.

The way I saw it, Young Will Turner's bid of "8 fives" would have been the winner. I would have preferred to see a storyline that saw how Davey Jones reacted to losing, rather than having young Will steal the key.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Saw it Saturday- great action, special effects and acting. The plot was a bit skewy, and things didn't make sense at times, but then it is a Disney movie and they more than broke the opening weekend record.

Davy Jones's appearance was awesome (the tentacles) but I have to say I like Barbossa's character more, and the skeleton crew was creepier than the crustacean crew :lol:

We went to a matinee (11am!) and the place was half-full then, and the audience was laughing and cheering the whole time. There was a line outside waiting for the theatre to open and one group of teens was dressed in capris and headscarves, with POTC shirts. They also took their pictures in front of the posters. It was definately an event for some fans.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Quick Question.... Did anyone see the trailers at the beginning of POTC? I loved the one for "Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller... Looks really cute!!!!

and the one for Talladega Nights - the ballad of Ricky Bobby
    I love these lines!!!

Lord, I thank you for my sons. "Walker" and "Texas Ranger"

and

Tom Cruise use your witchcraft to get the fire off me!!!!

HA HA HA HA
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Nope, but just because I was so ready to walk around after sitting for 2 and a half freakin hours!! A friend told me what happened though.

Did you like the movie? I was disappointed. :(

That about sums up my feelings. I had to pee like nobody's business for like 1 1/2 hours :( And I was stuck in the middle of an aisle with strangers I didn't want to climb over on either side :(

It was okay. Mainly I just looooooved looking at JD and OB, but I liked the first way better!
    DPTFm5.png
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Quick Question.... Did anyone see the trailers at the beginning of POTC? I loved the one for "Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller... Looks really cute!!!!

and the one for Talladega Nights - the ballad of Ricky Bobby
    I love these lines!!!

Lord, I thank you for my sons. "Walker" and "Texas Ranger"

and

Tom Cruise use your witchcraft to get the fire off me!!!!

HA HA HA HA

I haven't seen those- darn they look funny. At ours they showed Monster House, Lady in the Water and ... can't remember. We go to too many movies!
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    Glad I didn't stay for the stupid bonus scene - which is what you could say the whole cannibal thing was. That was utterly useless - if you need to explain that a whole host of people are gone now, just say there was a storm or something. Waste of my life... :?
    OMG, LOOK!!

• KraytKrayt Posts: 765Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, so many people not liking all those parts of the movie.

I thought each and every thing was well integrated and put to good use.

They first go to the cannibals to get away from Davy Jones and the Kraken, then the cannibals force them back into the sea.

I don't see anything wrong with, well... anything in the movie.

I loved it 100%.

-Litos
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Loved it. Very entertaining. Thought the whole crew of the Flying Dutchman were awesome. We always stay for the credits and saw the cute little extra scene.
    It didn't seem all that long to us. Of course I had my purse full of every kind of movie candy (the woman at the Kmart checkout said "Oh, you must be going to the movies!") so we were fine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I loved it. I've seen it twice now (wasn't intending to, but had a friend who's having a rough time so I took her to see it last night).

I think the first movie had surprise humor moments that made you sit up and really laugh, where this one took its humor too seriously. It was more "look, look, we're BEING FUNNY now!" There were also too many repetitions of moments. The rolling ball cages, the wheel. Swinging to get out of the ball cages/Johnny bouncing off the spit, etc.

I also thought the beginning dragged a bit. Overall, it was a pretty good length, though, I thought. I'm pretty sure we'll see more with the cannibals, but the end scene made me MAD. Given Johnny's situation, that implies they'll eat the dog, and I sure as heck hope not! I loved the undead monkey.

And...yeah, I liked it, liked the first one better, want it to be next year.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I'm now wishing I would have brought some candy or snacks with me to the movie. I'll keep that in mind, when I drag the rest of my family along to see it. (I'm only making them see it for two reasons: 1) so I can talk about the movie around them, without getting yelled at for giving something away, and 2) so I can have an excuse to see it again.) The family that I went to see it with was anal about getting there like a half-hour early... Otherwise, I would have asked them to stop at dollar general or something. :P

Did you guys hear it made another 18 mil. yesterday, in addition to the 132 mil. it made over the weekend? :shock: Crazy stuff.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Y'all are killing me! I can NOT WAIT to see it! I saw the first one at the movies 3 times and own it on video and DVD! Dang ol' military theater needs to hurry up and show it!! maybe the one off base will be showing it. I think I can ignore the Japanese sub-titles...esp. since the Japanese theater has Dippin'Dots Ice cream!!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    Did you guys hear it made another 18 mil. yesterday, in addition to the 132 mil. it made over the weekend? :shock: Crazy stuff.

Sarah

I contributed to that!

It is absolutely crazy.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

• KraytKrayt Posts: 765Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can someone please PM me at least with the details of the scene after the credits?

I would appreciate it. Did not feel like sitting through credits at 2 AM.

-Litos
    Litos-

Deedle gave the final scene in a post on the first page of this thread.
    -Speckla

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file