CurlTalk

Mousse Vs Gel

I know a lot of people use gel here, but what about mousse? I'm aware that lots of people find it drying, just curious about your thoughts! Today, I used both with good results.
3b-med texture-med porosity
CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I have only ever used gel while CG. I used mousse like 2-3 years ago to see what it would do for my hair and it just dried my hair out.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I voted both. I do use gel a lot more often than mousse, especially in the summer, but I will grab for the mousse once in awhile for a change. I don't think I've ever used them together.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Mousse does NOTHING for me. :angry3:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    I always use gel. Mousse has never provided enough hold for me.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I voted gel because I use that more often but I typically like the results I get with mousse when I do use it.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    I used them both together today and towards the end of the day my hair started looking dry and frizzy - do you think this could be because of the mousse??

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Neither for me (you didn't give that option in the poll).

Although I have met one woman with natural hair who said she used only mousse to style her hair.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I generally use mousse, have never quite got the hang of gel. I go through phases (like atm) where I'll buy gel and give it a go but I never get decent results and end up using it up on ponytail days (hate wasting money!). Always go back to mousse, it gives better hold for me, less stringiness and less frizz.
    3b in South Australia.
  • KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Posts: 272Registered Users
    Every gel i use makes my hair flaky and hard..mousse keep my hair moisterized!
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    I like gel because it forms my curls and keeps hem very defined. Mousse is good for a soft curls look
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    Years ago I used to use only mousse. Then I went to using gel most of the time and using mousse very rarely. Now I've been experimenting with using more mousse with just a dollop of gel on top and have been liking the results. Mousse seems to give me boingier curls but I still need a bit of gel to control frizz and clump.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
    I find mousse way too drying. Can't deal with it.
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

The reason I didn't give the 'neither' option is because if you don't use either then this poll is kinda pointless for you, plus I know a lot of curlies get on fine without, and you're lucky!!!! :toothy10: The reason for this poll is that I'm Kinda just stuck about what to use.

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    i haven't tried a mousse since high school. I just figured it was geared towards finer haired curlies so I never tried it.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlygirl18curlygirl18 Posts: 355Registered Users
    Mousse does NOTHING for me. :angry3:

What she said.
    Condish Faves: GVP Condish Balm, GDLI, GTTTT
    HG Stylers as of NOW: DMCCB, CJ CCCC, Boots, Re:Coil, SMU, BRHG
    ABSOLUTE FAVES: KCP, CJ AF
    I think I'm gonna stick with the gel. Mousse did no favours for me as the day wore on!

• tiramisu62tiramisu62 Posts: 46Registered Users
    Mousse is too drying for me.
    Same for me - it contains too much alcohol.

• Jennalynn20Jennalynn20 Posts: 27Registered Users
    I like both mousse and gel, but with the high humidity lately, I've just been using gel.
    2C-ish, medium texture, medium-high porosity.
    Modified CG since March '09!

Cowash/Low-Poo- Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni 50:50, Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Condish- Biolage/GVP Conditioning Balm, LVPNG, Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling- KMS Curlup balm, KCCC, BRHG, HETT gel/mousse

:hippy2:Proud Vegetarian!
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Same for me - it contains too much alcohol.

None of the mousses I have contain any drying alcohols. Fatty alcohols are ok.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think the ones I've used in the past contained drying alcohols. Anyway, gel gives me so much more hold. I'm sticking to it. If I'm ever tempted to buy another mousse, I must stop myself. I think mousse and gel together was too producty and made my curls drop.

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »
    I voted both. I do use gel a lot more often than mousse, especially in the summer, but I will grab for the mousse once in awhile for a change. I don't think I've ever used them together.

I do this, too. Gel is my first choice, but JoiWhip comes in mighty handy when I want a change (and a protein jolt).
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • curly2curly2 Posts: 320Registered Users
    I need the mousse or root boost for lift at the roots and the gel for rest. I have fine hair that would lay flat if I did not use something to boost the roots. I do not really find the mousse drying, but maybe it is because of the texture of my hair.
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have never used gel until about three months ago when I started CG. I have never been happy with how it makes my hair feel - really dried out and tangly. Yesterday I tried mousse for the first time since the late 80's. LOVE! the hold is amazing and my hair feels soft and the curls are just perfect in terms of shape and volume. If this continues to work for me I'll never use gel again! The one I used has no drying alcohols in it that I can see.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    tinah wrote: »
    I have never used gel until about three months ago when I started CG. I have never been happy with how it makes my hair feel - really dried out and tangly. Yesterday I tried mousse for the first time since the late 80's. LOVE! the hold is amazing and my hair feels soft and the curls are just perfect in terms of shape and volume. If this continues to work for me I'll never use gel again! The one I used has no drying alcohols in it that I can see.

We must, of course, know what mousse you used. :) Please divulge.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jillipoo wrote: »
    tinah wrote: »

We must, of course, know what mousse you used. :) Please divulge.

But of course! I used the Beyond the Zone noodle head mousse. It's got one peg modified cone in it. I've got a thread going about it. I'm gonna post some pics on it later this evening so I can show what I'm talking about. here's the link to the thread

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=79167
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
    Ooh I heard about that, I wanted to try it! But I must not be tempted my mousse! My hair just doesn't seem to like it, yet I still buy it, hoping....

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ooh I heard about that, I wanted to try it! But I must not be tempted my mousse! My hair just doesn't seem to like it, yet I still buy it, hoping....
    See now that's the way I am with gel, I know it doesn't suit my hair but every now and then I think, hmm, maybe this one will work. Never do, always money wasted!
    3b in South Australia.
    Well, that's PJism for you!! Hehe.

• CurlFaceCurlFace Posts: 176Registered Users
    It's mousse for me. I try and try and TRY to use gels, but they just seem to weight my hair down and make it limp looking. I definitely prefer mousse, but I'll keep trying gels because I'm always hoping for a miracle product! :happy3:
    Type: 3a - type 1 on the underside. Thinning.
    :glasses11:
    Currently using:
    -Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo (occasionally)
    -Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
    -Suave Waterfall Mist Conditioner or Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific as leave-in
    -A mix of Shique Gel and HE Totally Twisted mousse
    -FX Curls Up Mousse, on occasion