Recommendations for Gentle Effective Sunscreen

GAgalGAgal Registered Users Posts: 79
I am looking for a good sunscreen for my almost 3 year old son - would like to try a natural and or organic product but hate using trial and error when I am going to spend what I consider extra money on a product.

I have a terrible time with him rubbing the sunscreen in his eyes...I know obviously it is not meant to get in the eyes but I just can't seem to get him to stop! All the "baby" products I have tried that are supposed to be not irritating and "as gentle as" water are not.

I was thinking about trying Burt's Bees but maybe there is something better.

TIA!

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i have heard very good things about Blue Lizard, but i believe it's an Australian company, so may be pricey to get your hands on in the US. California Baby is supposed to be very kid-friendly.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • violetsviolets Registered Users Posts: 1,689 Curl Neophyte
    I use Clear Zinc or Blue Lizard. They have a physical barrier, not a chemical one.
  • AlexandraAlexandra Registered Users Posts: 25
    nutrogena is a great brand its made by dermatologists and they have sunscreen for everyone!
    ~*~
    growing out this summer!
    type 2b 2c

visit my art page :)
    http://happywatrmelon.deviantart.com/

event.png
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    I am currently finishing up my Aveeno sunscreen and after that I want to try Badger sunscreen (http://www.amazon.com/Badger-47031-Sunscreen-SPF-30/dp/B0012ZMBDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1246923647&sr=8-1 ) as well as Mexitan (http://www.amazon.com/Mexitan-SPF-Biodegradable-Suntan-Lotion-MEX-50-5-4/dp/B002C8A0FI/ref=pd_sim_sg_44), Mexitan because it has an SPF of 50 and sometimes I need an SPF of 50. My skin burns quite easily.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    My friend uses a Neutrogena Baby one on her 1 y-o. I can't remember the SPF, but I know it was more than 30. It's a chemical s/s, IIRC.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I can't say enough about colorescience sunforgettable spf 30 mineral sunblock. recommended by the Skin Cancer foundation. It goes on with a brush and is extremely waterproof. It is a physical barrier, zinc and titanium dioxide. Because it is a powder you can even ge it on their scalp if they are fair skinned, safe for children over 6 mos. under 6mos. with a Dr. check. I use the makeup since I use retin a and live in Florida. Check out the website www.colorescience.com. We have it at the salon if you can't find some I can send it to you. Just send me a note [email protected]
    Cynthia
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Are these natural ones really white and streaky? I think I used one all over my body for the beach and it was very white and made my skin look purple and just horrible (I'm darker skinned). I've been using sunscreen regularly for the past few years but I dont think it's been good for my skin..it looks more tired and I'm not even sure if I need as much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file