She's tired of my hair :-(

tweetybird1011tweetybird1011 Posts: 19Registered Users
So last night my mom was braiding hair and it hurt so badly. She kept complaining about how tough its getting to pull a comb through my hair.First off you're not even supposed to be pulling those tiny ass combs through 4a/b smaller than coffee stirer sized curls! She says its cuz its getting too long. It isn't really that long at all ( alittle more than 6 inches), but its long for her.

Anyways, she wants me to find a texturizer. A good one that doesn't loosen my curl but makes it easier pull an extreemly small comb through. I need one that doesn't cause too much damage. If you hav any other suggestions like products that will make hair easier to comb without so many harsh chemicals, please say so.

Thnx in advance!
4a texture (pen spring sized spirals)
shoulder length stretched goal
lower neck length unstrecthed
nedd to find a way to define curls
about to embark on my henna journey
:tweety:

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I dunno, maybe you can invite your mom here.

What about detangling with a wide tooth comb first or a and then doing the smaller sections with the rat tail comb?

Is she starting at the ends and working her way up or is she just attacking the hair?

What about using a good conditioner on your hair while its damp to give it better slippage?

I am thinking it is more about technique rather than your hair.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users

What about detangling with a wide tooth comb first or a and then doing the smaller sections with the rat tail comb?

Is she starting at the ends and working her way up or is she just attacking the hair?

What about using a good conditioner on your hair while its damp to give it better slippage?

I agree. I have 4a hair too and don't have that problem. I use lots of conditioner, and then detangle with a wide toothed comb before using the fine too. ALWAYS start at the bottom, and the minute I feel a knot I put the comb down and use my fingers to try and smooth it out. I wear my hair in twists, which I redo every week, and I use a fine-toothed comb to separate and smooth the hair. My hair's 10" long and I've never had that problem, and it doesn't hurt when it's combed.
  • lenax7lenax7 Posts: 107Registered Users
    So last night my mom was braiding hair and it hurt so badly. She kept complaining about how tough its getting to pull a comb through my hair.First off you're not even supposed to be pulling those tiny ass combs through 4a/b smaller than coffee stirer sized curls! She says its cuz its getting too long. It isn't really that long at all ( alittle more than 6 inches), but its long for her.

Anyways, she wants me to find a texturizer. A good one that doesn't loosen my curl but makes it easier pull an extreemly small comb through. I need one that doesn't cause too much damage. If you hav any other suggestions like products that will make hair easier to comb without so many harsh chemicals, please say so.

Thnx in advance!

If she can't comb your hair properly/well there is nothing wrong with your hair. The technique she is using is wrong. Adding harsh chemicals to your hair is like taking a sledgehammer to a nut. I would strongly suggest you buy any effective detangler, I have super thick 4a/4b hair which would hurt so much when I used to comb as a kid, but now is painless because I learnt how to do it right! I use qhemet biologics cocoa detangler, and the comb goes through easy. But there are others out there: I've heard good things about darcy botanicles!

The advice of others is right! Start using a wide tooth comb and I mean the widest you can find: For example:

widetoothcomb_l.jpg

I then follow with a slightly smaller one:
    LSCurlyHairCombL.jpg It sounds like a look, but using these combs has made my hair less tangled in general, so its easy!

Some people swear by denman brushes instead of combs, but I prefer combs. You need to look on the internet to find out which comb suits your hair type.

Denman:
    Denman+Brush+1.jpg

In my experience, moisturised hair = less tangles. What products do you use in your hair? If they contain a lot of petroleum and mineral oils - these are making your problems worse by insulating your hair from much needed moisture. The qhemet heavy creams are amazing in my hair and now I only ever need detangler after a wash my hair. On a daily basis I don't need it. But you should check out darcy botanicles. I have yet to try it, but I've heard amazing things about madagascar vanilla styling creme:

http://darcysbotanicals.com/natural-hair-collection/madagascar-vanilla-styling-creme.html

I've found 4a/4b hair loves thick creamy moisturises that it can just suck up.
    You should try posting in the 4a/4b boards - you'll get more responses and info.
    Hair type: Type 4-beauty (4a/4b).

Staples: (Qhemet rules!):
    Leave in conditioner / Daily mosturiser: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream.
    Former fave: Shea butter - (appears to be making my hair less thick - so I'm not too happy),
    Detangler (only need to use after shampoo): Cocoa tree detangling ghee.
    Shampoo: Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising conditioner.
    Deep conditioner: Still searching...

Hair hates: Natural oils of any kind.
  • HajHaj Posts: 164Registered Users
    Ronnieaj wrote: »

I agree. I have 4a hair too and don't have that problem. I use lots of conditioner, and then detangle with a wide toothed comb before using the fine too. ALWAYS start at the bottom, and the minute I feel a knot I put the comb down and use my fingers to try and smooth it out. I wear my hair in twists, which I redo every week, and I use a fine-toothed comb to separate and smooth the hair. My hair's 10" long and I've never had that problem, and it doesn't hurt when it's combed.

Hi Ronnieaj, just wanted to know what your curl size is. Are they coffee stirrer sized? And would you mind posting pics? BTW I'm also 4a, (twa) I have coffee stirrer sized coils and some that are bigger. I don't see a whole lot of people with hair like mine. It seems that most 4a's have a bigger coil/curl diameter than me and I've only seen two other people who's hair was long but who's texture looked similar to mine.
  • HajHaj Posts: 164Registered Users
    Ronnieaj wrote: »

Hi Ronnieaj, just wanted to know what your curl size is. Are they coffee stirrer sized? And would you mind posting pics? BTW I'm also 4a, (twa) I have coffee stirrer sized coils and some that are bigger. I don't see a whole lot of people with hair like mine. It seems that most 4a's have a bigger coil/curl diameter than me and I've only seen two other people who's hair was long but who's texture looked similar to mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file