week 3 hair going limp

curlydicurlydi Registered Users Posts: 38
Ok its been 3 weeks now and my hair is very limp on day 2. I'm co washing every other day or every 2 days. I did a low poo on Tuesday with giovanne 5050 and rinse out with the suave MFS. The gel I've been using has silk proteins in it. My questions are am I over conditioning or is it the proteins in the low poo and gel?? Maybe its just week 3 hair and will get better. My scalp is soooo happy with what I've been doing as it doesn't smell and is not oily and flaky. My hair is very thick (althought it doesn't look it now) and medium texture and medium in porsity. Any suggestions? Thanks
Location, Utah
Hair, 2-3a
Co Wash, Sauve strawberry and coconut
Leave ins, Lustrasilk SM, GF triple, KCKT
LowPoo, 365 grapefruit, GSAS, GTTT
Stylers, LAL gel, BRHG, HES&S, KCCC,

Modifed CG since 5/09

Henna Head!

Comments

• dyeozdyeoz Registered Users Posts: 18
    Have you tried a baking soda/acv rinse yet?
    Or a shampoo bar?
    comic-p.jpg
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Registered Users Posts: 345
    curlydi wrote: »
    Ok its been 3 weeks now and my hair is very limp on day 2. I'm co washing every other day or every 2 days. I did a low poo on Tuesday with giovanne 5050 and rinse out with the suave MFS. The gel I've been using has silk proteins in it. My questions are am I over conditioning or is it the proteins in the low poo and gel?? Maybe its just week 3 hair and will get better. My scalp is soooo happy with what I've been doing as it doesn't smell and is not oily and flaky. My hair is very thick (althought it doesn't look it now) and medium texture and medium in porsity. Any suggestions? Thanks

It can take up to 8 weeks for your hair to fully adjust to the CG method; it may even look worse at first. Wait around 2-8 weeks and see if your hair is getting better. If it's still limp, then you may want to avoid proteins. A good protein-free shampoo would be the Burt's Bees or Avalon Organics shampoos, and a good gel would be the Herbal Essences or L'Oreal gels. HTH
    :cya:
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Did your hair perk up with the poo? If so, you're probably cowashing too much. See if you can stretch it out. If not, you may need more protein, not less. A protein sensitivity would show with hard, dry hair--definitely not limp, lifeless hair.

My hair really likes the more natural products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Registered Users Posts: 625
    I'd make sure you're REALLY scrubbing when you're using your co-wash. I wasn't scrubbing enough on my scalp when I began, and I think that's why my hair got so limp. In fact I noticed so much of an improvement when I really scrubbed, my hair actually got dry. This is from stuttswife's website, Live Curly, Live Free:

"But it is not the sulfates in shampoo that keep your scalp and follicles clean—movement and agitation are what do the cleansing. Think of a washing machine: that agitator in the middle that swishes your clothes back and forth is there for a reason. Without it, your laundry detergent would be fairly ineffective, no matter how many “mountain fresh” chemicals are loaded in there.

If you use a non-sulfate based or conditioner cleanser or shampoo with an alternate surfactant once a week and give yourself a really good, brisk scalp massage while cleansing—using your fingertips and rubbing your scalp with a firm, energetic circular motion—you are massaging the sebum, dirt and debris out of your hair follicles while stimulating your sebaceous glands to maintain their proper function. The cleanser acts as an agent to carry that oil and debris away without damaging and drying out your hair shaft. That's the real purpose of a cleanser, not this sulfate-based shampoo nonsense that strips your hair of the moisture and essential oils that keep it healthy.

The cleansing routine I recommend is this: apply a curly-friendly cleanser to your hair and massage it into your scalp for several minutes with a firm, circular motion, scrunching it into the length to help activate the curl (don't use your fingernails, just the pads of your fingers). Rinse well with warm water, massaging your scalp to help remove the product. Then take a bit more of your cleanser on your fingertips and perform a second, very gentle massage on your scalp—not as long as your initial cleanse, but just a minute or so. Rinse it out, then proceed with your routine. You've stimulated your sebaceous glands and flushed everything out of your follicles with the first massage, then calmed everything down, relaxed your follicles, and slowed down your sebaceous glands with the second one. I've found this is the most effective way to treat your scalp and it will keep it very healthy.

You should only need to cleanse your hair once or twice a week, depending on the hydration level of your hair."

I've been co-washing with Giovanni Triple Treat Tea Tree conditioner since it's light and the tea tree cleanses my scalp nicely. If you can swing the price tag, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl Hair Cleansing cream[/buylink] might be a good choice for you as it's like a poo but it doesn't strip hair's oils exactly like a low poo. And if you still have problems, try concentrating the conditioner mainly on your ends and avoid your scalp a bit more.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpgcurls1-1.jpg
  • KKurlsKKurls Registered Users Posts: 79
    curlydi wrote: »

Mine did exactly the same thing and at about the 3 week mark. It happened quickly, from a 'best hair day ever' one day to limp, fine skinny hair, especially on the crown and bangs.

I attributed it to some hidden 'cones I used early on in a few products I continued (including in my Wen - even though its the a-cone), the fact I didn't clarify before starting the CG process, and my DH recharging the water softener. I have no idea if I am correct or not in this, but I gave in today, and did a clarifying wash, prepared to start over with absolutely no silicones.

I'm curious what you might have figured out...have you had any luck correcting this yet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CG since June 12, 2009
    Type: 3a and 3B mix, fine, high-med porosity, low density on top (uhg), medium in back...
    Co-wash: EO Rosemary Mint, Suave, or Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
    Leave-in: Jessicurl Too Shea, or whatever I co-washed with.
    Styling/Gel: KCCC, Aussie Opposites Attract spray gel, CJ Smoothing Gelee Jessicurl RR and CC
    Technique: Clip and air dry

Hair style is the final tip-off whether or not a woman really knows herself. - Hubert De Givenchy
  • curlydicurlydi Registered Users Posts: 38
    My hair has perked up! Yeah! I think something I was using had hidden cones. My mom came for a visit and brought me some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and my hair LOVES it!!! So now its very curly which I love. No more limp hair ; ) Thanks for the advice.
    Location, Utah
    Hair, 2-3a
    Co Wash, Sauve strawberry and coconut
    Leave ins, Lustrasilk SM, GF triple, KCKT
    LowPoo, 365 grapefruit, GSAS, GTTT
    Stylers, LAL gel, BRHG, HES&S, KCCC,

Modifed CG since 5/09

Henna Head!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights