CurlTalk

Tips for crimping hair by braiding it

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
Because my hair doesn't look good when I just straighten it (too wispy and flat), I like to go for the crimped look instead when I'm tired of wearing it curly. Not the super crimped look, but more like this.

The best result I get so far is by straightening my hair first, then dampening it piece by piece and applying some gel for hold as I braid the pieces. Yesterday I did this and wound up with 16 braids. I took them out earlier today.

It came out decently but the overall effect is frizzier than I'd like it to be.

I don't suspect many curlies even do this but just in case some of you do and have some tips, they'd be much appreciated!
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I used to do it.

I would wash my hair, let it get almost dry (damp-ish), then braid all around my head. The ones by my face I made slightly tighter.

Then I'd sleep on it, take out the bands in the morning, and fluff it.

I'm not too prone to frizz (I'm just a 2), so this method worked fine for me. Although I find sleeping with anything at all in my hair ---- even pony bands --- annoys me.

HTH
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Thanks for the input ninja dog. I have done it that way before, like a couple years ago. Think what made me go the route of straightening first (but then dampening while braiding) was that it makes it look less clumpy.

Don't think I used much holding and smoothing stuff when I did it that way though, so I'll probably do that and give it a try again.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • wistykittywistykitty Posts: 1Registered Users
    The easiest and fastest way to get my hair to hold crimp and not frizz is: dry to 90% dry - braid as big as I want the crimps - apply a curl holding lotion, then apply heat, a hair straightener works great, you can just run it down the length of each braid a couple times.

Allow to set for 30 minutes - the braids have to go from hot to cool or they will frizz when you undo them :)
  • Schmegmeg1Schmegmeg1 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I braid all of my hair and once it's semi-dry I straighten the braid till it's thin.
    It always works well for me!
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users
    I also braid it on damp hair. I spray it with a Infusium 23/water mix and I use a creamy moisturizer like Elasta QP Mango butter. I also curl the ends with a roller.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC, Eco Styler
    Leave-In: KCKT, Garnier WB Coconut & Cocoa Butter LI
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter