I'm asking questions for my 19 year old son.

MsBMsB Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
How do we determine if he is a 3C or 4A?

Comments

• NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is he wanting to know because he is trying to figure out what type of hair products to try? If so, he would be better off just trying to look at pictures of people to see if they have similar hair as people have their own ideas of their hair types which may not be the same for the next person. However, being he is a man he probably wouldn't want to do that so maybe you could do it for him!! :tongue1:
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • MsBMsB Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NCE It's funny that you should answer. After asking this question I read one of your posts asking if all this 3C/4A stuff is just BS :). LOL...maybe I should have read your post first because that is the issue with my sons hair.

A year or two ago when my son first decided to grow his hair I came to ask questions for him. He feels funny asking. But now that he has used a number of different products he is still confused and said willing to try different"stuff".

I guess I was just trying to figure out where to ask his questions. In a general area, 3c or 4a. We've asked questions in the mens area before but this is really more about product then style.
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MsB wrote: »
    NCE It's funny that you should answer. After asking this question I read one of your posts asking if all this 3C/4A stuff is just BS :). LOL...maybe I should have read your post first because that is the issue with my sons hair.

A year or two ago when my son first decided to grow his hair I came to ask questions for him. He feels funny asking. But now that he has used a number of different products he is still confused and said willing to try different"stuff".

I guess I was just trying to figure out where to ask his questions. In a general area, 3c or 4a. We've asked questions in the mens area before but this is really more about product then style.

Typically, if I'm looking for products I go in the general area. Then if I don't get much response I post in the 4a group since there are always more people in this one!! My son is 16 and he has big loose curls then smaller tighter ones along his hair line only! He uses the Curls line and/or Neutrogena Triple Moisture products. I've seen just about every hair type use these particular products. So I feel comfortable with mentioning them to you. This is my son's routine:

Routine 1:
    Shampoo: Curls Cleansing Cream
    Condition: Curls Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    Style/Leave-in: Curls Souffle or Curls Gel es-C (jealousy) or 100% Organic Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

The Curls Products can be purchased online at curls.biz or at some local bss. If you go to their site they will give you a list of places in your area if they have any. Coconut Oil I purchased at Whole Foods which I won't do again because it's way more expensive.

Routine 2:
    Shampoo: Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer Daily Shampoo
    Condition: Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer Daily Conditioner
    Style/Leave-in: Curls Souffle or Curls Gel es-C (jealousy) or 100% Organic Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

The NTM products I have seen in Walmart, Target, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy and Albertsons (I'm in TX)!

Another Shampoo and Conditioner I have used and loved is Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. It's natural and I believe Tea Tree is good for dandruff and/or itchy scalp (I tried for itchy scalp). It was great. But, I can't handle soy protein and it has it in it. I have personally seen it at Walmart and Walgreens. However, you can buy at vitacost.com for $3 cheaper and the shipping and handling is $4.99 no matter what you purchase. He could purchase the coconut oil here as well. Oh, he could also buy tea tree oil and peppermint oil and put it in a conditioner that he likes and that should help with the dandruff as well I believe. Those can also be purchased at vitacost.

Even though my son and I don't have the exact same curl pattern we tend to use the same products. Most of the time anyway. HTH!
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • MsBMsB Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NCE thanks so much for the response.

I think we'll look into the curls leave-in products. Is the souffle a softer finish then the gel? Crisp or "slimy" is an immediate turn off for him. Would the coconut oil act like the conditioner did in my son hair? Just conditioner left the curls undefined (separate curly strands rather then clumped curls).

Have you ever tried trader joes conditioner. A number of people I know have compared it to eulence conditioner but less expensive.

I've seen a number of people mention that protein or soy protein is not good for their hair. Exactly what does it do?

Thanks for your advice
    MsB wrote: »
    NCE thanks so much for the response.

I think we'll look into the curls leave-in products. Is the souffle a softer finish then the gel? Crisp or "slimy" is an immediate turn off for him. Would the coconut oil act like the conditioner did in my son hair? Just conditioner left the curls undefined (separate curly strands rather then clumped curls).

Have you ever tried trader joes conditioner. A number of people I know have compared it to eulence conditioner but less expensive.

I've seen a number of people mention that protein or soy protein is not good for their hair. Exactly what does it do?

Thanks for your advice

Neither the Souffle nor the Gel es-C left his hair crunchy or crisp. Actually, since he has dark brown hair (it always looks dry) the Gel es-C is better. It gave a shine. The day he used it for the first time. I was like what did you use in your hair today it looks great. He said it was the Gel and it was still soft! I was VERY surprised.

He uses the coconut oil more for it's smell!! He loves it and eats a little sometimes too! It gives great shine. Since his hair is only 3" maybe it's not used for hold or anything. If he wants clumpage he would have to use another product along with it. Oh, I forgot to say my son doesn't wash all of the condish out either. Leaves some in. He comes it thru with a shower comb I bought him to make sure it's distributed through out his hair.

Unfortunately, we live in TX so no Trader Joe's Products can be found here.

Protein isn't necessarily bad. Some people need tons of it, some only a little and some can't have it. When I use it, my scalp itches like crazy and my hair becomes very dry. The only reason I figured it was the protein was because I finally looked at the ingredients on my old products and compared them to the new ones I had bought and noticed the only difference was the new one had Soy Protein. One of my old ones had Silk Amino Acids which is a protein, but something that doesn't bother my hair. Therefore, I will only use products that have Silk Amino Acids in the future. I also found out I was allergic to Aloe in this process. So be careful. Have him try only one new product at a time. Just to be sure. My head itched for 2 weeks before I finally figured out what was going on and it was no fun!!
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file