growing out myths vs. truths

aburdetteaburdette Registered Users Posts: 26
what has worked best for you? there are a lot of different suggestions... from "mane n' tail" horse shampoo and conditioner to expensive hair care regimens like "hair formula 37". has anyone tried these products? did they WORK? if not, what has worked well for you and how much growth have you seen since you began taking vitamins, starting CG, using a certain growth product, etc. etc. etc....?

i'd be happy to hear any tips, suggestions, encouragment, and especially product reviews!:thumbright:
3b/4a very fine, avg/high porosity curly looking to GAIN LENGTH!
open to learning all i can from this site and others' advice!!!:read2:
currently shoulder-length :cry:
DESPERATELY wanna be BSL!!
taking: GNC Ultra Nourish Hair
starting CG routine again :thumright:
co wash and leave-in: Suave Naturals Coconut (but i've tried them all!)
condish: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
wanting to try: various oils
:director:PUTTING MY HEAT ADDICTION ON HOLD!
CG & (almost) no heat since 6/14/09

Comments

• chelsieraechelsierae Registered Users Posts: 2
    i've tried the mane n' tail shampoo/conditioner, and i saw no changes.
  • krazykkrazyk TallahasseeRegistered Users Posts: 243
    I think I've seen a lot of growth in the last year from getting into co-washing twice a week (I'm trying to reduce it to once, but I'm still learning the ropes with products).

Since about March I've been using Teri's method (basically leaving in a regular recommended conditioner) and I think that's been perfect for me. My hair stays moisturized for 2-4 days and I usually use a protective styles to keep myself from messing with my ends and from my hair in general.

As far as I can tell I would attribute hair growth to low manipulation, a clean scalp, and a good moisturizer. Also I've found that consistency really really works.

I know you'll find something that works for you. A consistent regimen and nice moisturizing conditioner would be a good place to start.

HTH :)
    :icescream:Confusion in the front/4a in the back and around the sides
    Transitioning Natural since March 2005
    Complete natural (Last of permed hair trimmed out) May 2008 (1 1/2 inches left)

Regimen:
    Co-Wash: (Anything on hand atm)
    Leave ins: Aussie Moist
    Shampoo: Aussie Moist (only if I end up using gel or something out of the ordinary)
    Keeping it krazy simple:toothy7:

My hair history:http://photobucket.com/kris_journeyofhair
    Pw: krazyk
  • lit26lit26 Registered Users Posts: 131
    Coconut oil hands down stmulates growth
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • lit26lit26 Registered Users Posts: 131
    Karazy K I see your use herbal essence hello hydration. Have you tried herbal essences hydralicious conditioner? its like heaven for hair in a $3 bottle.
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • CopaseticCopasetic Registered Users Posts: 222
    My mom has used a ton of those products intended to speed up hair growth, and none of them have ever worked for her.

My hair grows reasonably fast. All I really do to it is treat it gently so that I don't need to trim, eat healthy foods, and try not to obsess over it!
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Registered Users Posts: 457
    my hair love mane n' tail conditioner and seems to stay uber moisturized from 2-4 day with it. so i give it what it wants. Cant say it made my hair grow more, just that it has the right moisture balance for me.

I also take vitamins and try to eat healthy.
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Registered Users Posts: 299 Curl Neophyte
    chelsierae wrote: »
    i've tried the mane n' tail shampoo/conditioner, and i saw no changes.

I've tried the mane n' tail shampoo/conditioner on my horse, and I saw no changes either! :mrgreen:
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    Unfortunately, products don't necessarily make your hair grow any faster (unless a hair product can magically alter your hormone levels, which, sadly, isn't the case).

What WILL help your hair grow:
    1. A balanced diet (you wouldn't believe the difference healthier eating makes)
    2. A gentle, nourishing hair care routine, like CG! Avoid heat styling with curling irons and straighteners at all costs, and be sure to moisturize your hair with conditioners and deep treatments. Stay away from sulfates!
    3. Regular scalp massages. Scalp massages stimulate the hair follicles and actually do assist with hair growth. Every night, gently massage your scalp with the tips of your fingers. It feels great, it relieves stress, and your hair will actually grow a little faster!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• aburdetteaburdette Registered Users Posts: 26
    thanks everyone for the advice. i've been TRYING to stick to CG since june but i have to say it's been sooooo hard! every once in a while i break down and curl or straighten and i very rarely still use shampoo... but i still use it sometimes. i try to take vitamins everyday but i sometimes forget that too :?

my problem is most likely inconsistency... and playing with my ends. but these posts have encouraged me to keep up with CG! thanks again!:hello2:
    3b/4a very fine, avg/high porosity curly looking to GAIN LENGTH!
    open to learning all i can from this site and others' advice!!!:read2:
    currently shoulder-length :cry:
    DESPERATELY wanna be BSL!!
    taking: GNC Ultra Nourish Hair
    starting CG routine again :thumright:
    co wash and leave-in: Suave Naturals Coconut (but i've tried them all!)
    condish: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    wanting to try: various oils
    :director:PUTTING MY HEAT ADDICTION ON HOLD!
    CG & (almost) no heat since 6/14/09

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file