I hate my hair! HELP!

lizzielizzie Posts: 3Registered Users
I need SERIOUS help. I have been doing CG for 6 weeks and my hair is not responding well. I have never had a problem with my hair curling, ever, in my life, but the reason I did CG is because I wanted my hair to be healthier. I have really coarse, super thick hair and the products I am using are:
Suave Naturals co-wash
Giovanni 50/50 cond
Giovanni leave-in
Set me Up gel by Herbal essences
(lately I have been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] before the gel).

My hair just feels heavy, gunky, and it takes hours to dry. I loved my curly hair because it is wild and big and it's not anymore--it's lifeless.

Can anyone help me? PLEASE!!!

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    How often are you conditioning? Almost sounds like you might be over conditioned. I get two distinct types of reactions from OC either I get poufy and flyway or I get heavy and greasy looking.

Hopefully one of the coarse curlies will answer you also because there may be something in one of your products that a bad ingredient for coarse hair.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    Do you think you may be using too many products all at once? I agree with watsercurl maybe you OC'd. I did that once and my hair just felt gooey and gross.
    Also did you do the sulphate shampoo before starting CG and did you make sure the sulphat 'poo had no cones?
    The first time I tried CG, I skipped the sulphate 'poo and my hair was awful.
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• lizzielizzie Posts: 3Registered Users
    thank you both SO much. I never thought about the sulfate shampoo---it most definitely has cone's in it. I also think the KC is too much for my hair.
    What products do you suggest?
    I have super thick, coarse, High porous hair---
    Thank you again for helping me!
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    You're welcome - what is your curl type and maybe i could rec. some products??
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    lizzie wrote: »
    thank you both SO much. I never thought about the sulfate shampoo---it most definitely has cone's in it. I also think the KC is too much for my hair.
    What products do you suggest?
    I have super thick, coarse, High porous hair---
    Thank you again for helping me!
    If you have coarse hair I would stay away from too much protein. The Giovanni products have soybean protein in them so they might not be a good choice for you. The Donna Marie products are moisturizing but IMO lighter than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and don't have any proteins in them. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] can weigh down your hair and take a long time to dry.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• lizzielizzie Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have 3b, coarse, high porous, very long hair. I can't tell you the change in my hair once I used a non-silicone shampoo (THANK YOU), and my hair does not respond well to protein.
    Today, I used the Giovanni tea tree shampoo (to get out the silicones) and the 50/50 (do not like) then I used the MOP condish (which I loved). THEN, I used the Giovanni leave-in and KY Jelly (*blushing*) and my hair is a brain new hedda hair!

What other products do you recommend? I have heard a lot about Flaxseed gel---
    what kind of deep cond. treatments do you use?
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    If I were you, I would use emollient-based products and an "occasional" protein treatment. Too much protein will not work well for you, but you have already seen and felt what that will do to your hair. Enough protein will help to repair your porousness.

JessiCurl Weekly Deep Treatment is emollient-based and contains no protein.

I make my own FSG and have had great results from it. It is certainly inexpensive and easy enough to make so it might be worth it to try a batch and see how your hair reacts. I know it hasn't done much for DEL2 on this board and she is a coarse, porous, wavy.

I don't know where you are located, but in high dew points, I wouldn't go too heavy on products with glycerin high up on the ingredient list.

Patience is hard but necessary. I struggled with finding a good balance of moisture and protein all last year. I needed more protein and was too heavy on the moisture. Now that I have found a good balance I enjoy many more good hair days than bad!:happy5:

HTH!
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi