Are weaves a protective style??

CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Registered Users Posts: 734
which type of weaving? and how do you care for your hair in weaves?

what are some good places to get weaves done in New York City?
head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
"Make your choice adventurous stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger.
Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen

Comments

• Kinks74Kinks74 Registered Users Posts: 394
    Sew-in weaves can be protective. Glue-ins, not so much.
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • hypnotichypnotic Registered Users Posts: 613
    I had two sew-ins. I am going to edit this with pics. I'm at work. Anyway the first one was curly/wavy, she left some hair in the front out. Because I am natural I had to flat iron and then I would use a waving iron. If I wanted to avoid the heat. I would flat iron and do a braid then twist it like a bantu knot. I don't think my hair was excessively damaged then. My main issue was cutting out the thread. My father did it and I lost some hair.

The second one was more straight. I definitely had to use more heat to blend the hair. Never again. It was breaking right at the line where my natural hair met the tracks.

I think it depends on the style. I know someone in Brooklyn that does them but she's not a licensed beautician. Oh and my cousin is a beautician but she lives in Vegas.
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    Here's some info from www.reniece.com/faqs.html

HAIR & WEAVE CARE

What is the recommended length of time to wear my weave?

I recommend that you wear your weave no longer than 2 to 3 months. The weave itself may hold up much longer, but it's really about your hair underneath.

What could happen if I leave my weave in longer than the recommended time?

Your hair underneath could begin to get extremely matted/tangled, which can result in hair loss.

What should I put on my hair underneath the weave?

My favorite moisturizer to use underneath a weave is Lisa Akbari's Moisture Plus.

How often should I shampoo my weave?

Once per week or once every two weeks is fine. However, your shampooing needs may vary.

Is there a particular shampoo that you recommend for the weave?

My favorite shampoo and conditioner for weaves and natural hair is DHD H20 shampoo and Moisture conditioner. (www.dhdbynatlewis.com) It infuses extreme moisture in the hair. When using the shampoo, it often feels like the hair is being conditioned! So by the time you use the conditioner, you hair will have such wonderful "slip".

Is there an easy method to use to shampoo my weave?

It is easy to shampoo your weave while in the shower. Keep the hair going straight back; that will help minimize or even eliminate tangling. I recommend using an applicator bottle to mix shampoo and water. Shake it, then squirt the shampoo suds in between the tracks. You can do the same with the conditioner. Rinse VERY thoroughly.
    Here is her fotki.

I had a full-head sew-in (all my hair sewed in), because I did not want to straighten my hair all the time. I put some shampoo and water into a color applicator bottle and used that to wash my hair every two weeks. I also used a mixture of glycerine/water/oil to moisturize the braids every other day or every week... basically whenever I felt like it :D This is a good website about weave care. I don't know any stylists in NYC, but I know a great stylist in CT lol
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    Ive been rocking these a lot lately. I can put my hair in a bun underneath (which is a protective style).

http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/2009-the-1st-six-months/curlyphonypony2.html

http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/2009-the-1st-six-months/wavyphonypony.html

this is what my hair looks like under the piece: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/2009-the-1st-six-months/babybun2.html

I havent had any split ends since rocking these hair pieces.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • lorrnaelorrnae Registered Users Posts: 134
    I think the phony pony looks good. It matches perfectly.
    4a/Fine Strands/Medium Length/Low Porosity
    http://members.fotki.com/Lorrnae/ (still editing)
    PW:curlygal
    My product routine is currently a work in progress.
  • Lydyybuggin76Lydyybuggin76 Registered Users Posts: 219
    My weave was installed by Breon, Reniece's sister. They work together and I must say that the wait to get in with her was well worth it. (and the wait list is SICK!!!)

Although they do not feature curly hair in their client pics, they do deal with us! My intent is to grow out my hair as long as possible and in preparation for my 2nd install, my hair is slightly past my shoulders when stretched. Above all else, Breon is PROFESSIONAL in demeanor and ability. That goes a LONG way!!!

www.reniece.com
    Here lies Jan Smith, wife of Thomas Smith, marble cutter. This monument was erected by her husband as a tribute to her memory and a specimen of his work. Monuments of this same style are two hundred and fifty dollars.
    -Gravestone Inscription
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    lorrnae wrote: »

Thanks Lornae :pl:
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    I transitioned in weaves. I never leave my hair out because I don't use heat. Sometimes I do micros in the front or the front and back so I can pull it up in a ponytail.

I just installed my second weave/braid combo for the winter. I use spritzs like crazy and wash once a week. I also steamly weekly. My hair grows like crazy.
  • CurlyteeCurlytee Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    Sister your hair is absolutely beautiful.
    lorrnae wrote: »

Thanks Lornae :pl:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Registered Users Posts: 250
    I HEART weave. I used weaving to transition my hair. I always used it as a protective hair style during my relaxed days.

I'm actually thinking about getting another one in the near future. I love taking breaks from my hair.

I've never experienced the hair loss or matting issue. I just want to note that I take extreme care of my hair. This includes washing and treating my exposed and weaved hair. I honestly believe treating your weave as if it's your hair. You also have to treat your hair prior to installing the weave. So, I wash and treat my hair at home with own products.

I live in MA, but I travel to NYC in order to get my weave installed. I go to Erena Hair Center, which is located in Brooklyn. They actually match and blend the hair (weave) at the salon. Once that is finished, you can install it with one of th stylists in the salon. My stylist in the salon name is Camille. I also posted some pictures of my weave installed in my Fotki.

FYI...I normally keep my weave in between 3-5 months. It all depends.

:blob::blob::blob:
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • afrikurlafrikurl Registered Users Posts: 736
    For those of you who wash your hair in a weave, how do you get it to dry? I want to try a weave but I don't want my hair smelling like mildew from not drying properly. My wash n goes take like 14 hrs to dry. I cant imagine with other hair added.
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Registered Users Posts: 250
    afrikurl wrote: »
    For those of you who wash your hair in a weave, how do you get it to dry? I want to try a weave but I don't want my hair smelling like mildew from not drying properly. My wash n goes take like 14 hrs to dry. I cant imagine with other hair added.

WOW....14 hours. I usually let my weave air dry. I wear curly weaves. So, I loosely two-strand twist my weave in order to expose the braided hair. This gives my braided hair the extra help/time it needs to dry.
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    I went to Brooklyn, midtown, and the UWS and always ended up back at "Sho Nuff" salon (Harlem) with hairstylist, Trinea (pronounced "Trin-nay"). She doesn't have the most pleasant demeanor but her weaves look good.

No matter where I go, I would always tell them I wanted small braids (about triple the size of a micro braid) and I wanted hair left out in the front, on the sides, and in the back. This gave me versatility to wear it down or put it up in a ponytail. I never kept my weave in for more than 5 or 6 weeks b/c my hair couldn't take it. If u leave it longer, I wouldn't suggest leaving it in for more than 3 mths max. You need to take out your hair and DT in between if you want to keep the hair you have! As with any braiding procedure, if they're braiding too tight, tell them to STOP. You don't wanna chance getting breakage for any hairstyle.

I have been to most of the custom hair stores in NY. I never made it to Erena's, but I was a long time customer at Lugo's (BK and East Village- EV is MUCH better) and Adorable in teh Flat Iron District. I've also been to

Barbie's in Queens- trash
    Bronx hair- ok, depends on the texture
    Lexy's in BK- beautiful colors blended, but (curly)texture matted up very quickly

There's a place in midtown where they take ppl by appt but I can't remember their name. Anyway, they are the most expensive out of all of them and their hair looks/feels terrible.

Adorable has a kinky textured hair...its called "kinky" its expensive but looks very natural. It has IMO a very coarse feel to it. Lugo has a very curly 3cish texture called "jheri curl." It doesn't look like a JC IMO and when I wore it, ppl wouldn't even *believe* it wasn't my hair. If u want straight hair, u can get that just about anywhere. If u purchase hair in a package and bothers ur scalp, ur prob allergic to it. I tried out packaged hair for the price but my scalp was too sensitive. I've been advised that anything sold in a package is synthetic and I believe it.

I always wore curly hair during the last few yrs of my weavedom, so my hair was always wet. I'd suggest sitting under a bonnet dryer on a low setting and try not to re-wet it every day. I love big hair and usually had anywhere from 8-12 oz on my head. Keep in mind that the more hair you have on ur head, the longer it will take to dry and the more likely it will be to catch on itself. Also, the better quality of the hair, the less it catches.

My apologies for this book I've written, but I would've really appreciated it if someone told me these things when I was weaving so I hope u find this helpful! Attached is a pic of one of my weaves (Lugo's EV hair).
    comic-p.jpg
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Idk if this would help with the weave b/c I never tried it but last wash, I waited until my hair was past damp (but still wet) to apply my styler (as per NC members suggestions!) and I cut my drying time in half.
    comic-p.jpg
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    @mixedupcurlychick - very cute :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hypnotichypnotic Registered Users Posts: 613
    Idk if this would help with the weave b/c I never tried it but last wash, I waited until my hair was past damp (but still wet) to apply my styler (as per NC members suggestions!) and I cut my drying time in half.
    no i am tempted to get a weave again

and i never posted pics i am such a bad NC member
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
    lol Hypnotic, it takes me forever to post any pics. I usually wait til the last minute. Last night I updated my Fotki- onlyb/c I was having my hair cut today!

@ Hippychic: Why thank u :toothy10:
    comic-p.jpg
  • justicefighter1913justicefighter1913 Registered Users Posts: 253
    Thanks ladies for bumping this thread. I'm thinking of getting a weave and using that as my protective style for the next few months. I had one a long time ago and it was just a ham...too much trouble, but I think I'm better able to handle it now...lol
    Hair goals: 1) healthy hair 2) BSL by 12/10:viking:
    Recovering from a "scissor happy stylist "setback:tongue2:
    My Fotki: A work in progress:clock:
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Registered Users Posts: 625
    Ladies...I got a sew-in-weave over the weekend & I must say that I'm VERY excited .Excited that I'm getting a break & that my HAIR is getting a manipulation break (started a nu semester of school, don't have the time)...:tongue:
    My lil sis get's them all the time & leave's it in for approx 2 months (she's natural aswell)...her hair is mega thick & BSL beautiful.
    This is my 2nd go round with a sew-in, the 1st time not so good (she left me looking like I was wearing a hair hat...too bulky)...but this go round I'm luvin, looks very natural. I went to a spot in Jamaica Queens...the long wait was worth it!!! ~snapping fingers~ now lets see some growth ppl...lol
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
    Hey ladies,

For those who are curious about weaving, this is the thread I mentioned at the meetup. Lots of info in here! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

*The last place I mentioned in my post (custom hair store in midtown) is Alkinko's. I couldn't remember the name at the time.
    comic-p.jpg
  • sueb1617sueb1617 Registered Users Posts: 2
    If you live in ATL DO NOT get your weave done by ShawdaDee, Bella Vivo Salon. My weave came out so bulky and was poorly done + her customer service is very bad! She charged me 200 dollars

1. The hair prices listed on her website were identified as Hair Ex Hair Prices- when I called her she denied it and when I looked again it was off of her website.
    2. She promotes herself as a hair broker but she is not.
    3. She tried to sell me Indian hair for 300-400 dollars but didn't want to tell me where she got it from
    4.Communication with me regarding scheduling my appt was very poor.
    *I emailed her with my availability for the next 3 weeks and she emailed me back a time and day that was not in my availability. ???
    *She played tag constantly texting and calling me with days that she was available ignoring my availability. ???
    I sent her an email asking for her availabilty for the next 30 days and she sends me her availbility for the next week ???
    5. I show up for my appointment and she washes my hair very very quickly not doing a thorough job as if she didn't want to be bothered with washing my hair.
    6.She advertises her salon as some type of luxury place yet she doesn't have the proper tools to do hair. She didnt have a single widetooth comb or blowdryer w/ attachment. Her excuse was "none of my clients have hair"
    7. She braided my braids underneath too big which gave my hair an extremely bulky look.
    8. Moisturizer or heat protectant was not used on my hair at all
    9. When I told her I was not satisfied with my hair she says: "You bought the wrong hair" (She was the one who recommended the hair ex hair I bought) "You have to pay me if you want it redone" "your hair is too thick"
    Believe me when I tell you the chick is all about money!! RUN!
  • seniyaseniya Registered Users Posts: 21
    I'm thinking of getting a weave as well. Mainly because I've never had short hair in my life and I'm not adjusting. Miss my ponytails :cry:

I was just thinking of doing a few tracks in the back and blending in the sides and front (I dunno how accurate that is, but my cousin did something like that once).

But my question is how do you find a curl pattern that matches your natural hair perfectly? If anyone can help ...
    BC: June 2nd 2010

Current Length: Six inches, I'd like to believe

Routine: Wash and goes with VO5. Profectiv Hair Strengthener + Castor Oil + Water. Elasta QP Feels Like Silk on lazy days.

http://public.fotki.com/seniya/
  • elizondoguillermo026elizondoguillermo026 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    That's too broad of a question. To start with, what are weaves?

Weaves can be chemically altered (through the process of relaxing), 100% human hair or synthetic. It can also be taken out quickly and easily as it is just attached on to your own pigtails. Weave just refers to any weave created by more than one person working together, aside from braids which usually only take minutes to execute by themselves.

Some sew in their hair due to the lack of time for styling or other healthy reasons! For more information on how to find and take care of your weave visit here: https://www.naturallycurly.com/community/schools-of-thought-highlights/herbalizing-weave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file