Anyone here eat organically?

kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
Benefits? Thoughts?

I've been thinking about heading to Trader Joe's and starting to eat organically (with a little "natural" thrown in...so I won't be really strict with it.)

My family eats a LOT of junk food, so the main idea is to not "tempt" myself, by giving myself "special" food that only I can eat.

I've gained 15 pounds within the past 4 months just by stress eating... so hopefully if my food is more expensive/hard to get, I'll follow a better diet. Also, my skin's been breaking out a lot. And I notice certain foods/vitamins make a difference.
3A~fine texture
Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
PW curlyhair
Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg

Comments

• tryn2understandtryn2understand Posts: 54Registered Users
    Great thread! I want to read some of the input as well. We are junk food addicts and we need to eat better
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    Agreed!
    My friend and I were discussing how Americans wouldn't be labeled as obese if we just ate naturally/organically. I'm sure we've GOT to be taking years off of our lives. I saw a special on Oprah once about the oldest people on the earth. And 3/4 of them ate food fresh from their own crops- freshly ground corn to make tortillas, fresh cheese/milk from their cows, and wine from grapes in their vineyard.

And if food that was better for you was CHEAPER, ones could actually afford to live better. Ones on food stamps can't get anything but Enriched White Bread. Which tastes absolutely nothing like good fresh baked bread.
    It's rather depressing.

But the thing is, I'd like to hear some viewpoints. I keep hearing this "Eating organically doesn't make a difference" crap, but I'm not so sure about that.

Also, if someone's made the switch from hardcore junk food to organic and survived... if that had with drawls, got more irritated, etc. ...Or if they had major benefits like weight loss, improvement in complexion, or a better immune system.

Another thing, is what they do at restaurants, because I'm thinking the sudden non-organic/natural meal change would totally throw off their system and cause stomach upset?

I'm a total rookie saying all of this stuff, but it's stuff I've been wondering if anyone knew anything about.
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Organic is better for you. Do a google search and you will find lots on it.
    Unfortunatley, organic=much more expensive. It is hard. We try to get organic whenever we can. We just started growing some of our own vegetables and fruit plants, and my mom makes most of our food from scratch, including bread. Bread from the store tastes like %@#* compared to homemade freshly baked bread.
    It doesn't have to neccesarily be organic, but if people would just quit eating so much junk food and fast food, they would be so much healthier.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    I think prices are actually dropping a bit for organic food. You'd think they would be raising, but last time I was at TJ's and Whole Foods, everything seemed a buck cheaper.
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I think the organic movement has gotten silly, to be honest.
    Organic does not equal healthy. There is plenty of organic junk food.
    Just eating better (more veggies, cutting out hydrogenated fats, eating more natural sugars) is what's important.

My real objection to organic is that it has created confusion, I think.
    I am a huge proponent of eating seasonally and supporting farmer's markets. If you want to eat healthy, that's the best way to start. You will not find hydrogenated fat in a farmer's market. You will find fresh vegetables, fruit, and sustainably raised meat and dairy.
    You are guaranteed to walk away from a market with more than you thought you would, if for no other reason than because you might see some gorgeous vegetable you'd never had before.
    It is more expensive (a bunch of asparagus will cost $4 as opposed to $1 or $2 at a grocery store), but it is worth it. Not just because there is nothing as delicious as asparagus in season, freshly cut from a farm in your state or a nearby one, but because it provides a profit for the farmers who certainly work hard enough to earn it. Food that travels less and is therefore handled less tastes better, not to mention that it has an impact on the environment as well.
    Same goes for meat. Meat from farmer's markets is sustainably raised, with animals that are treated humanely. Grass-fed beef has been shown to contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
    Too much meat is labeled organically raised and taken as a bar of the wholesomeness of it. But pasture raised (whether beef, pork, chicken, and also the eggs and dairy) is the ultimate barometer. There's no deceit as there is with the organic, free range label. Pasture-raised means the animal is left to roam in a wide open area, eating what it finds. Eggs from pasture-raised chickens taste great because the chickens are under stress-free conditions eating grubs as they roam the open field of whichever farm they belong to. Again, omega-3 fats have been found. It's as close as one gets to having a few chickens in one's backyard.
    Organic and free range means the animals get some time outside but are still mostly confined and that their feed contains no chemicals, antibiotics, and the rest.
    Certain farms prefer to not slaughter their animals in certified organic slaughterhouses because the trip is too long and stressful for the animals, and they prefer to make the whole process better for them.

With dairy, a lot of organic dairy is ultra-pasteurized and stabilized. I'd rather have fresh cream with no stabilizers and simply pasteurized.

Getting organic certification is too expensive for some farms, so some farmers can indeed grow organic vegetables but not meet all the criteria that comes with certification. Certainly I have nothing against organic produce, but having seen a woman turn away from a stand at the market because her apple wasn't organic, though the apples happened to be as fresh and delicious as one could hope for, I think there needs to be some perspective taken into account. In turn she probably bought an organic apple that came from New Zealand, or in the best case scenario, from California or Washington.
    If I can get organic produce at a farmer's market, I am all for that and supporting the movement, but I am not giving up my pasture raised eggs because they are not organic, nor will I ever eat a peach traveling from god knows where because it's organic when I can get the most luscious ones possible at the height of summer, fresh, warm from the sun, and sweet and juicy as can be, from a stand at a farmer's market.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I agree with you to some level.
    We live in a really small town, so large farmer's markets really do not exist around here. It's always relatively small. So fresh AND varied isn't always an option, though I would love to have that.

And fresh fruits/veggies over fats/faux sugars make a large difference. Like I'm fine with eating cookies that are home made (not necessarily with strictly organic ingredients), in comparison to Chips Ahoy that even TASTE like fake crap.

But then again, I don't always want to be cooking up, either. Which is where I kind of was fitting TJ/Whole Foods in the picture.

And I definitely think the "USDA Organic" label has become some sort of wannabe Prada label for newly health conscious ones that deem it "in" to be "green".

Thanks for taking the time to put all of that Sairis!
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Oh yeah, this link kind of explains what I mean a bit more:
    http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2005/11/organic-schmorganic.html

Explanation about organic, free range, and other labeling:
    http://www.greenrightnow.com/wearecentralpa/2008/06/04/scrambled-eggs/

I get what you mean about variety. I obviously can't get everything at the markets, since things like citrus will never be in season in New York markets. And I do buy those organic if I can get them.
    At the same time, I consider that part of the fun. I might not get citrus, but I can get amazing quinces here. Our apples are great, as is our rhubarb. Every market has something of interest, something to offer. It might be something you might not even be looking for, but could love.
    Plus it's not an issue in terms of wanting something I can get later. I can't say I crave winter squash during the summer or tomatoes during winter. I think people forget it takes patience, but it's rewarding to wait.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    some things it's great to buy organic but some your better off buying locally non organic.... the fresh choices book is exellent!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file