Using Xanathan Gum or Guar Gum?

GAgalGAgal Posts: 79Registered Users
Just wondering about using either of these "thickiners" (what I understand them to be) in hair product recipes? Is that all they would be - make the product thicker - do they add any benefit to the product?

When would they be added in a recipe, for example when making FSG? And how much?

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I add the xanthum gum 1/4 t at a time when I add everything else. Mix with an immersion blender--whisk didn't emulsify it.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    kathymack can I ask do you think a hand mixer would work? Is the xanthan gum easier to mix in the guar gum? I added guar gum to my FSG while it was still hot and turned my hand mixer on high and it still didn't blend well. It's starting to piss me off. :banghead: No matter what I do this stuff will not mix.
    kathymack can I ask do you think a hand mixer would work? Is the xanthan gum easier to mix in the guar gum? I added guar gum to my FSG while it was still hot and turned my hand mixer on high and it still didn't blend well. It's starting to piss me off. :banghead: No matter what I do this stuff will not mix.

I've never used guar gum, but can't imagine it's that different. The immersion blender has an attachment that's not "whisk" looking. It's "blade" looking, what I use to puree soups. It may "break" up the gum a little better. A food processor might be better then the hand mixer. Also, I don't do mine while it's really hot.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »

I've never used guar gum, but can't imagine it's that different. The immersion blender has an attachment that's not "whisk" looking. It's "blade" looking, what I use to puree soups. It may "break" up the gum a little better. A food processor might be better then the hand mixer. Also, I don't do mine while it's really hot.

Ok that's really good to know. I'm going to try my food processor next time. I've tried adding the guar gum when it's hot and not so hot but nothing seems to work.
    You guys just may need to buy an immersion blender. They aren't that expensive and are MUCH less work/mess then using the food processor or blender. As I think of the food processor, I'm not sure if having it running might be too much for the FSG, but it should be running to emulsify the "gum."
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    Just thought I would add my two cents. I don't know if you add EO or anything like that to your FSG, but I saw a good tip so that the XG won't clump up. With your blender (hand), blend the XG, or citric acid with your EO and/or FO first and then add to the FSG. HTH.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file