Please suggest a cut for me!

smileyOnesmileyOne Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi! I'm new to this site and am so glad I found it. My hair is driving me absolutely crazy!!!

I've got super fine 3a hair. The ends just won't weight down and it's so fine at the front I look like I'm balding some days. I don't have any layers in the back due to an extremely horrible experience a few years back.

Please advise on how you would proceed to "fix" this hair! In particular, how should I cut it and what do I ask for.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Sarah :)

Comments

• curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Smiley,
    Your hair is very fine and the length isn't doing anything for you. I know past layers have been a bad experience but you need them. I think you have hilites? Do you know what kind of lightner your stylist used? Some of them have sodium thyoglycolate a chemical that is used in straightner so all the hilites are relaxed and the curls are limp. I am not sure if you are dedicated to having long hair, but I would suggest a stacked bob. It will give you lift and the illusion of more hair. One of my clients on this forum has one, her screen name is rednaturalcurls and I think she posted a picture in the bob thread, I will try to find it for you. I have very fine hair as well, so I feel your pain, do not dismay there are cuts to accentuate your curls. I'll post back after I find the picture.
    Cynthia
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Here is the link, it is under the show us your bob thread, http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/rednaturalcurls/Haircut.jpg KathyMac has a nice one in that thread too.
    Have you had any luck finding a stylist in your area that knows curls? I hope this helps.
    Cynthia
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    curlpro wrote: »
    Here is the link, it is under the show us your bob thread, http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/rednaturalcurls/Haircut.jpg KathyMac has a nice one in that thread too.
    Have you had any luck finding a stylist in your area that knows curls? I hope this helps.
    Cynthia

Thanks, I think shorter, layered hair would be the call, too. In my fotki, there's a picture of me with shoulder length hair in the album that's labeled Jan/Feb '08. It looks like I have more hair with the shorter, inverted bob.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smileyOnesmileyOne Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thank you so much ladies for your input!!! And for digging up that great pic from the gallery. Much appreciated!

I went and had a consultation today at a new place and without me saying a thing, he basically stressed all the same points you all said. We'll see...I hate having to go to a new stylist but he's supposed to be good.

My appt is next Tues. I will post the results!

Thanks again!
    Sarah :)
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Registered Users Posts: 3,061 Curl Neophyte
    I was going to say the same thing... your length is doing NOTHING for you. I personally wouldn't go as short as the first picture, but definitely an inverted bob would look good. I think you need a good 1/2 to 1 inches off the back and then layers throughout. GL!!!
    I got my hair cut! Also, got rid of the crazy dark brown and white blonde highlights for something more natural! I'm not sure what to think of this! It's quite a change for me as I used to always wear my hair pulled back and can't do that anymore...it's too short!

Thoughts?
  • solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    Very cute! The cut is a good shape for your face, and the style looks much more polished than your previous look.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Registered Users Posts: 3,061 Curl Neophyte
    It looks FANTASTIC!!!! so much thicker and healthier looking than before. How are you liking it?
  • pilateschickpilateschick Registered Users Posts: 222
    Your hair is gorgeous! Loosing the pony tail option is an adjustment but the cut really suits you.
    modified CG, since January 09
    As I am Coconut Cowash, low poo. Clarify once a month
    RO: Elucence moisture Bal.
    DT: CJ Rehab
    LI: Marie Dean Red Clover honey (in low dews only)
    Jelly/Gelly products: As I am curl enhancing jelly-near HG status
    KCCC- Classic but fickle

HGs: Aloe Fix alone or over Boots Curl Cream

PJ cabinet full of failed combos
  • AnnieAnnie Registered Users Posts: 12
    I love this cut on you! It looks wonderful!
    greying blond hair
    3a/3b, fine, medium density
    product minimalist
    experimenting w/ soaps, clay mixes, borax
    HG is one product to cleanse, natural moisture when needed, and that's it!
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Your new cut looks fantastic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Registered Users Posts: 625
    That cut is SO cute. You can seriously work a messy curl. I'd play it out even more with a really light pomade or something, and make it all flippy.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpgcurls1-1.jpg
    Thank you so much ladies for all your kind comments! I must admit I am loving this shorter hairstyle! Thank you so much again! Sarah :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file