CurlTalk

High Dew Point Product/Support Thread

I see we're getting various threads for products rec for high dew point weather.

I figure that we may was well just have a high dewpoint thread so we can keep our resources in one easier-to-find thread.

As a porous curly, I am working on testing acidic rinses to help keep the cuticle down. The theory is that the cuticle should lie down better so the humidity won't get into raised cuticles as easily.

I am also testing a new hard hold gel - Joico JoiGel.

I'll do a copy paste about it from another thread.

ETA:

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), VP/VA Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Oleth-20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Benzohenone-4, Propylene Glycol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzyl Benzoate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance (Parfum).

"JoiGel™ Firm
Designed for: firm-hold gel styling
Benefits:
Provides excellent support, control and shine for styling without flaking.
UV protectants condition and protect against daily environmental stress.
Maximum styling control, body and shine to support hard-to-hold hair"

It worked nicely to give frizz protection over the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. It did dry crunchy, but it all scrunched out easily, and my curls are soooofffftttttttt. I think the combo of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] moisture and the silicone does something for me. Dew point is 70 right now and all is holding up well.

It is less crispy than I remember the BRHG being, and I don;t know if it's hold is as hard when it comes right down to it.

Since I had no adverse reactions, it goes to week long testing before I declare it a keeper!
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    Your the BEST RCC. Will be watching this thread Very closely! Am in dire need for info along this line.
    TY
    Donnaicon14.gif
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    We're getting so inundated with humid threads, lol. I just figure it will be easier if we can get everyone on the same thread. ;)

Aside from the various gels we all choose in high humidity, I figure there may be other tricks up some curly sleeves that we need to hear!

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I am trying Living Proof today. I will report back in.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Looking forward to the results of this post. We get summer days in NY which have horrendous dew pts. You feel like you are breathing in steam.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this thread RCC. This will be a great resource:)
  • carrie640carrie640 Posts: 216Registered Users
    Subscribing! Although, I am convinced that on days when the DP is high, NOTHING is going to help entirely!
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    At what point is the dew point considered high?
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    RCC you're the best :notworthy: I was having trouble keeping up with all the humidity threads myself! This was a good combo for me I'll keep experimenting and reporting back.

Dews are a whopping 63!

Low Pooed with EO Honey Cham/EO honey Cham Condish rinse out. No LI today I don't like how it mixes with CK and frankly it just weighs me down when dews are this high!!

CK 4 puddles
    FX Fixative Gel 2 Qtrs
    BRHG 1 Qtr size

This held up well but I got slightly poofy when it was all dry but still had definition. I also forgot to bring my Honey in the shower *kicks door*

Before Bed I spritzed with Water/Honey spray. Just a drop of honey in a 3oz spritzer I don't want it sticky. Then I added a blob of FOTE smoothed on and scrunched let it dry for an hour. Put it in a pineapple and I got Day 2 that I can wear down. I didn't add anything else this morning and it has plenty of hold. Dews are still a high 62
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

60-65F (16-18C) is borderline high (but it still feels gross and high to me)
    65 and above is high. I know there is a comfort difference between a 70 degree dewpoint and an 80 degree dew point (although both are pretty awful), but I don't know if it makes a big difference in hair beyond that. The DP rarely reaches 80 where I live.

Even 70 is not common here in June, and i have seen 80 already on the Gulf coast, so we are having some unusually high dew points in the eastern US right now.

This morning, even much of the Rocky Mountain area is in the 40s to 50s, which is high for them.

But, for hair issues, the product issues seem to start at around 60.

Agreed....if it gets to be 60, I hang it up!!
    Are any of you porous curlies trying things besides hard hold gels?

I'm thinking along the lines of acv rinses and similar and protein treatments for those who can handle them. My reasoning is that anything helping to keep the cuticle down should help with frizz reduction.

I'm thinking along the lines of acv rinses and similar and protein treatments for those who can handle them. My reasoning is that anything helping to keep the cuticle down should help with frizz reduction.
    so we are having some unusually high dew points in the eastern US right now.

Is there a pattern here?? We had unusually LOW dews all Winter now this? :rolleyes:
    if it gets to be 60, I hang it up!!

Why? My best days have been 60-63 so far! Love it!

I'm not sure how often I can ACV or use Dr. Bronners Rinse yet but I'm gonna try using one or the other once a week and see how it goes. I was doing them once every other week during the Winter. I do agree RCC that it helps with frizz reduction and POOF in my case.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Del, not everyone has the same product working knowledge as you do, lol. 60 can be uncontrollable for quite a few. :)

If we all looked good at 60, I wouldn't need to start this thread. ;)

I think I am going to try the acid rinse weekly as long as it does not become too drying. But, the high dew points may help prevent that.

I, too, wondered if there was some pattern! It was unusually dry last winter. And, I'm fairly sure we didn't have dew points in the 80s so much so early. Dew points were fairly common talk here last summer.

I have a friend who lived in Dallas and is now in Jonesboro and she, too, does well when DPs are high....not me...not at all. When it gets to be 60+, I am done for. Just probably depends upon the person.

Now the thing with the cuticle...ACV doesn't always make it for me. Sometimes my hair loves it...other times it doesn't.

I've even tried the cold-water rinses. Sometimes it works..other times it doesn't. I am truly convinced my hair will do what it wants...when it wants....no matter what I do to try and change its mind.
    carrie640 wrote: »
    I have a friend who lived in Dallas and is now in Jonesboro and she, too, does well when DPs are high....not me...not at all. When it gets to be 60+, I am done for. Just probably depends upon the person.

Now the thing with the cuticle...ACV doesn't always make it for me. Sometimes my hair loves it...other times it doesn't.

I've even tried the cold-water rinses. Sometimes it works..other times it doesn't. I am truly convinced my hair will do what it wants...when it wants....no matter what I do to try and change its mind.

Curls do have that tendency, but I do think that routine tweaking and type of cut plays much more into this than we realize.

If we all looked good at 60, I wouldn't need to start this thread

I plan on being HAWT when I'm 60 :laughing6: Oh right, we're talking dew points though aren't we.....

You might like Dr. Bronners Shikakai rinse better. There's a thread on the Product Reviews--It's not for everyone but you never know..
    Curls do have that tendency, but I do think that routine tweaking and type of cut plays much more into this than we realize.

This is true, one thing I'm realizing (not sure if it's higher dews it might be) is I can't do lots of Water Spritzing on Day 2 or I frizz. A little Butter or Gel and if it still doesn't do what I want I have to live with it or wash. I do remember in the CG handbook that it was suggested on Rainy days it might be better to wash the try to re-wet and style.
    Discovered CG 2007

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users

60-65F (16-18C) is borderline high (but it still feels gross and high to me)
    65 and above is high. I know there is a comfort difference between a 70 degree dewpoint and an 80 degree dew point (although both are pretty awful), but I don't know if it makes a big difference in hair beyond that. The DP rarely reaches 80 where I live.

Even 70 is not common here in June, and i have seen 80 already on the Gulf coast, so we are having some unusually high dew points in the eastern US right now.

This morning, even much of the Rocky Mountain area is in the 40s to 50s, which is high for them.

But, for hair issues, the product issues seem to start at around 60.

Oh, okay.
    Dew points here are almost always 65 degrees and up during late Spring and Summer. Right now it is 69.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Thanks for this, RCC! I'm subscribing but I have nothing to contribute, as dews rarely get above 55 here. But I'll be traveling to New York next summer, so I'm curious to read about what everybody is using to combat frizz. (I just bought some Living Proof. Should be here in a week or so.)
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Thanks for this, RCC! I'm subscribing but I have nothing to contribute, as dews rarely get above 55 here. But I'll be traveling to New York next summer, so I'm curious to read about what everybody is using to combat frizz. (I just bought some Living Proof. Should be here in a week or so.)

Hey, it's all relative.

For some of the posters who are used to 30-40, 55 may throw them off enough to come take a peek!

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users

My dews are in the low to mid 70s. Weekly ACV rinses are making a big difference with frizz, but my gel (Aussie Instant Freeze) isn't cutting it. I initially had great hair with pink boots and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] underneath it yesterday, but within a few hours it was drooping. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Fuel-Curl-Enhancing-Spray-p-490.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-curl-fuel-curl-enhancing-spray]CJ Curl Fuel[/buylink] revived it a bit this morning, but I'm on the lookout for a new gel.

KM's sending me some of the Dr. Bronner's shikakai rinse, so I'll be testing that out soon!

My dews are in the low to mid 70s. Weekly ACV rinses are making a big difference with frizz, but my gel (Aussie Instant Freeze) isn't cutting it. I initially had great hair with pink boots and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] underneath it yesterday, but within a few hours it was drooping. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Fuel-Curl-Enhancing-Spray-p-490.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-curl-fuel-curl-enhancing-spray]CJ Curl Fuel[/buylink] revived it a bit this morning, but I'm on the lookout for a new gel.

KM's sending me some of the Dr. Bronner's shikakai rinse, so I'll be testing that out soon!
    Oh this is good to know that you can do ACV once a week without issues! Makes me want to wash today to try another combo :lol: I'm not surprised that the Aussie isn't working, BRHG is barely strong enough for me. I wish there was another hard hold gel out there....If it wasn't for the Honey I don't think I'd get the hold I need in high dews.
    Discovered CG 2007

I still don't understand why you aren't getting humectant induced frizz with honey in these high dews. :lol:

But, hey, whatever works!

I have absolutely no idea RCC. It seems that the higher the Dew the better it works :confused1: When the dews are 50's it doesn't work the same. Obviously in Low dews it was a mess. Maybe because CK keeps the frizz away?

ETA: I'm rarely ever totally frizz free though, that's just the nature of this beast on my head. I just don't see "increased" frizz it's actually LESS. If I don't use Honey I'm poofy.
    Discovered CG 2007

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »

Oh this is good to know that you can do ACV once a week without issues! Makes me want to wash today to try another combo :lol: I'm not surprised that the Aussie isn't working, BRHG is barely strong enough for me. I wish there was another hard hold gel out there....If it wasn't for the Honey I don't think I'd get the hold I need in high dews.

Yeah, I'm planning to go get some BRHG today. I've been holding out due to protein fears, but with all this droop I have nothing to lose!

It's weird though, because I had the best hair last summer with this gel. That's why I went back to it a few months ago. My hair is weird :(

Yeah, I'm planning to go get some BRHG today. I've been holding out due to protein fears, but with all this droop I have nothing to lose!

It's weird though, because I had the best hair last summer with this gel. That's why I went back to it a few months ago. My hair is weird :(

I think that the Aquage Max gel that everyone has been talking about is protein free. Hopefully someone can confirm.

• IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    It would be nice if the NC daily forcast for humidity also included dew points then I would not have to look elsewhere for them. I am tech impaired but doing better with sons help. Working on getting curl pics and my sig. Have subsc to this thread
    TY for all your work here
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS
    It is Protein free. I'd love to hear more feedback on it, so far it doesn't "sound" like it's as hard hold as BRHG. I wish it wasn't so darn expensive or I'd give it a go. I hate to plop $13 on a gel that ends up being yet "another" Med hold for my hair.

Aquage Mega Gel:

Water (Aqua)
    PVP/VA Copolymer
    Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract
    Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract
    Gellidiela Acerosa Extract
    Hypnea Misciformis Extract
    Neptune Kelp Extract
    Palmaria Palmata Extract
    Sargassium Filipendula Extract
    Undaria Pinnatifida Extract
    Hydroxyethyl Cellulose
    Pumima Decadiene Crosspolymer
    PEG 40 Hydrogenated Caster Oil
    Triethyl Citrate
    Propylene Glycol
    Sorbitol
    Potassium Hydroxide
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    Diazolidinyl Urea
    DMDM Hydatoin
    Iodopropynyl Butylcarbomate
    Green 3 (CI 42053)
    Red 40 (CI 16035)
    Fragrance (Parfum)

It does have the polymer high up, and it also has the anti-humectant in the castor oil.

I see Floridians using it, so I have hope that it does have some hold.

RCC By looking at the 2 would you be able to see if one is stronger then the other??? I can't it makes my head hurt...

BRHG

Water , PVP , Acrylates/Steareth 20 Itaconate Copolymer , Propylene Glycol , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Triethanolamine , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone Parfum (Fragrance) , Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Linalool , Gamma Methyl Ionone , Citronellol , Lilial , Hydroxy Citronellol , Geraniol , Eugenol , Blue 1 (CL 42090) , Red 33 (CL17200)

Aquage Mega Gel:

Water (Aqua)
    PVP/VA Copolymer
    Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract
    Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract
    Gellidiela Acerosa Extract
    Hypnea Misciformis Extract
    Neptune Kelp Extract
    Palmaria Palmata Extract
    Sargassium Filipendula Extract
    Undaria Pinnatifida Extract
    Hydroxyethyl Cellulose
    Pumima Decadiene Crosspolymer
    PEG 40 Hydrogenated Caster Oil
    Triethyl Citrate
    Propylene Glycol
    Sorbitol
    Potassium Hydroxide
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    Diazolidinyl Urea
    DMDM Hydatoin
    Iodopropynyl Butylcarbomate
    Green 3 (CI 42053)
    Red 40 (CI 16035)
    Fragrance (Parfum)
    Discovered CG 2007

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I have absolutely no idea RCC. It seems that the higher the Dew the better it works :confused1: When the dews are 50's it doesn't work the same. Obviously in Low dews it was a mess. Maybe because CK keeps the frizz away?

ETA: I'm rarely ever totally frizz free though, that's just the nature of this beast on my head. I just don't see "increased" frizz it's actually LESS. If I don't use Honey I'm poofy.

I find the same with CK. The first time I ever had any failure with it was in the Dominican Republic. But dews were in the 80+ range every day.

I've never had an issue with 70-80 range. I used it all summer and it was the only thing that kept my frizz under control and great curls all summer long.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.