Flax Seed Gel preservative, need advice for blondes

Try using cream of tartar (tartaric acid byproduct of wine-making process, used for baking and available in the spice isle) as a preservative. Mine has been in the fridge for weeks! I almost wish it would spoil so I could throw it away.

Flax seed gel is not working for me. I get stringlets no matter what. If my hair dries crunchy, there's no scrunching it out. It's stringy till I wash it. Plus it darkens my hair. I want soft, bright curls and am willing to put up with a little frizz. I've tried using it with oil, AVG, curl cream, and conditioner.

Have any other blonds made it work?
2cFi (blond, fine and thin)
Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
Currently trying: honey, AVG, homemade FSG, mayo DT

Current challenge: wanting more bright blond and less dark gel look.

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]"A woman beloved by her husband becomes more radiant every year." --my husband quoting someone[/FONT]

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I rotate products, seldom using any one product more then twice a week. I put lots of extras in my FSG and use it once or twice a week. A few weeks ago, I was loving it. Now, not so much. I think I OD'ed--used it too much. My hair has always satiated on product--and shows me it's had enough.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CeallachgCeallachg Posts: 60Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try using cream of tartar (tartaric acid byproduct of wine-making process, used for baking and available in the spice isle) as a preservative. Mine has been in the fridge for weeks! I almost wish it would spoil so I could throw it away.

Flax seed gel is not working for me. I get stringlets no matter what. If my hair dries crunchy, there's no scrunching it out. It's stringy till I wash it. Plus it darkens my hair. I want soft, bright curls and am willing to put up with a little frizz. I've tried using it with oil, AVG, curl cream, and conditioner.

Have any other blonds made it work?

I noticed the same thing with my hair before I stopped using non-water soluble silicones. Almost everything made my hair look like it was either wet or greasy, and most products made my hair too crunchy for my taste. I've since noticed that silicones, glycerine and too much oil are what does it to me. I started out using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Jessicurl's Rockin' Ringlets[/buylink] (FSG) and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink], and it worked beautifully! It was easy to SOTC and my hair didn't look greasy or wet afterwards! Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel does the same thing.

I also make my own FSG. I use grapefruit seed extract as a preservative and I've never noticed it affecting my hair badly. I found it in my local organic foods store. I also put jojoba oil, honey and lemon essential oils in it. Honey and lemon are supposed to bring out the blonde highlights in our hair. I only put a little bit of jojoba oil, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon to two cups of water after "cooking" depending on how thick the gel comes out--I use less if it's thick. If I use too much jojoba oil I get the same greasy look I got from those other products. HTH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/2c, fine, thick, normal porosity/elasticity

Current routine: co-wash & detangle with AIA Coconut CoWash then RO. Experimenting w/AG re:coil, DCVF & All-Nutrient Hair Proteinizer.
    Love: AO GPB, KCCC, PBH Gelatine Goo, ANHP, CNPF
    Like: GDL, FSG, honey, HETT, JCNS, DCVF
    Hate: glycerin, mineral oil
  • FinnickyWavetopFinnickyWavetop Posts: 25Registered Users
    You sound like my hair twin (although mine may be more porous), and I had the same issue with FSG. Stringy, crunchy, and just darker enough to look like I hadn't washed it. This was with RR, and even if I just used a dime-sized amount.

Since my hair is no fan of the glycerin in RR, I'm going to cook up a few differing batches this weekend. I'll let you know if any of the variants work :-)
    Porous 2a-c F i PJ glycerin hater in Finland
    CG and I are dating, but we're not exclusive or anything
    I'll add magsulfate to anything!
    Liking: JCHCC, Too Shea, 4R Moisture Mist, Gelebration spray, Wella hold 2 mousse, tucuma butter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file