Newbie, trying to figure out my hair type

KatKat Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi everyone!
Im not sure if I am a 2B or a 3A. I have had frizzy, wavy-ish hair for most of my life but it is so unruly and I have no patience for it that I usually brush it into an even frizzier mess that looks almost straight.

I am attaching 2 pictures, sorry if they are big, I hope they resize because I cant do it on my computer. But anyway, the one where I am holding my daughter kind of shows what my hair looks like on an average day. Somedays it is a little curlier and some days it is straighter and frizzier.

The other picture shows how I look when I come back from the stylist, who has much more patience and skill when it comes to hair, and with a little scrunching, some gel and a diffuser she gets it really curly. I think that is my curl "potential", but I never have bothered.

Usually I use Pantene products but this week I switched to Burts Bees to start the switch. It is Sulfate free. I would eventually like to go the full CG route and just skip shampoo alltogether. However I am nervous about the oily transition. Does that seem to happen to a lot of people?

Would you say I am a 2B or 3A? Or something else alltogether? I would say my hair is on the thick side and kind of coarse, but that could be just from being dried out for so many years. I have always skipped conditioning my head, I only used it on my ends in the past.

Any tips on how I should start? I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options! Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Registered Users Posts: 250
    Pretty hair! I'd definitely put you in the wavy category.
    One thing that's helped me a lot is figuring out my texture: fine/medium/coarse. I know you said you were coarse. If that is the case, try to look for other curlies on this site with coarse hair. DEL2C I think is coarse. Check out Struttswife's threads in the Newbie forum for info on textures.
    The other two invaluable links for me have been this one on dew points and this one with abbreviations for this site. Oh, also check out the video on plopping at www.jessicurl.com
    HTH!
    2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
    Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
    Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
    Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
    oops let me try this again.
    dew points
    abbreviations

Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein

• KatKat Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thank you for the links and video! The video was especially helpful.

Stupid question here, but does wavy mean I am not in any of the curly categories?

I think I am probably in the medium to medium-coarse range. Definitely not fine though! It is too thick and rough for that.
    Lol...I dunno about other people's classifications, but yes, I consider 'wavy' to be a subcategory of all the curly types. In other words, 2, 3, & 4 are curly...1 is the only type that's not.

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Wavy is the same thing as curly category 2, if that's what you're asking.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I'd say you're a 2B. But it my hair was only slightly wavy before I started CG and learned about all the products/techniques for curly hair. :)

The transition period is different for everyone. Mine was about 6 weeks but many experience little to no transition. Really depends a lot on the condition of your hair, how often you were shampooing and the products you were using prior to.

Texture is the size of each individual strand. Fine is like a silky thread, normal like a cotton thread, coarse is thicker (can't remember the descriptor). My hair is fine. When my fingers are cold I can't even feel it. I would suggest you check out www.livecurlylivefree.com for more information. If your hair is damaged it is probably porous. There's a thread on the go right now about products for porous curlies - if you do a search you should be able to find it.

If you haven't already been to the Newbie Forum, there's some good information in here. Also, if you search on laura lee, she has a great explanation of CG for the beginner in her blog which is listed in her signature.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=78318

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14222
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • KatKat Registered Users Posts: 4
    I think I picked a poor example picture so I am adding one more. Sorry. :sign6: This one shows a better look at all my hair on a day I didnt brush it out. I think that makes a better representation than the first one I posted. The first one is more common for me because I usually brush it out.

Does this new picture help with the category determination at all? I have had it cut since this picture and I get a couple ringlets at my shoulder that dont show in this photo.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I posted this in another hair type thread. Hopefully it will be helpful:

This is how I understand the hair types:
    2b is wavy.
    2c has scattered ringlets with the curl pattern starting around ear length. Needs to be long to curl.
    3a is ringlets starting a couple inches from the canopy. Curls even when cut short (above shoulder)
    3b is tighter ringlets starting at the crown.

You are probably2b/c and the curl might increase as time goes on with proper care. That means no brushing out the curl!

Here's another site with info on CG:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Registered Users Posts: 529
    I would say you're definitely a 2b but with a little CG and a little condish here and there you could easily be a 2c or even 3a!
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file