Kitties

RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
My question is this : For those of you who have cats, want cats, did have cats, know someone who has cats, or know someone who is kin to someone who has cats :lol:

Do they stay indoors most of the time???

Background Info : My MIL sometimes likes to make snide comments out of nowhere that seemingly are to say I'm weird, strange, or whatever. I have an inside cat who had kittens. My little Ollie died, but the other two are still indoors. I threw them out for half a day because no one would take them and they were pooping under my desk :( I felt bad and brought them in and I think they're getting the hang of the litter box FINALLY... Point being, my MIL felt the need to come out with a comment about how it's not "normal" for cats to stay inside all the time and "most people" have outdoor cats or let them go in and out all the time. I felt this was a jab directly at me, as she does that.. And was wondering how many of you find it perfectly normal for cats to stay inside all the time?
DPTFm5.png
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    My cat stays inside all the time. Call it what ever you want, but I'm not about to let him out side so he can get run over by a car, attacked by some other animal, beaten up by another cat, tormented by some kids or something else horrible. I love him waaaaaay too much for that!!!

When I was a teenager, a stray kitten showed up in our yard and we ended up taking her in. It took awhile for her to get used to staying inside all the time, and it was a pain to listen to her cry at the door, but she got the hang of it after a while....again, didn't want her to get run over, etc.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    quickcurl wrote:
    My cat stays inside all the time. Call it what ever you want, but I'm not about to let him out side so he can get run over by a car, attacked by some other animal, beaten up by another cat, tormented by some kids or something else horrible. I love him waaaaaay too much for that!!!

When I was a teenager, a stray kitten showed up in our yard and we ended up taking her in. It took awhile for her to get used to staying inside all the time, and it was a pain to listen to her cry at the door, but she got the hang of it after a while....again, didn't want her to get run over, etc.

See, that's how I feel too. My MIL kept talking about her mother who kept having her cats 'disappear' that were outside, right before telling me how weird I was. It seems I care way more about my pets than she does... I don't know. Cats are different than dogs, it's not as though you can put them in a cat lot or something :D I didn't think I was weird by any means; I didn't see why she said that :?
    DPTFm5.png
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Everyone I know, now, keeps their cats inside except for one of my neighbors. They haven't learned to keep their cats in the house even after one disappeared.
    When I was growing up we knew only one family with cats and they were indoor/outdoor. Chow-chow died from an animal bite, most likely a groundhog. They took Tara and her 4 kittens to a shelter. Kitty, Tara's son, was dumped in a field but found his way home. He later died after a car hit him. I found him, frozen to the ground, on my way to school.
    We keep all of our cats inside, and freak a bit if they get out and we can't find one. There are many feral cats in our neighborhood and I just know they'd get into a fight. George, our oldest cat, had to be taken to the vet after being bit during a fight. Fighting increases their chance for catching disease (FIV) or infection.
    That said, in many parts of the country it's strange to have cats and even dogs inside. Ignore her comments about the cat inside; afterall it's your home and you're the one who lives with it, not her.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • outtahereouttahere Posts: 343Registered Users
    I live in an urban area, so no, my cat is not going outside. I can't believe the nerve of some people who let their cats run wild around here with a major highway so close by. My cat is not like personal property to me (though she is considered property under my state's law), but a family member. Heck, I love her more than I do some of my family. :lol: This board shows me again and again how meanspiritied people can be to one another :( (don't know what is up with it lately), and it makes me appreciate my cat even more. My grandparents live on a farm, so their cats are in and out a lot. I can see that a little more than letting them out into the city streets, but still, this is a world cultivated to meet humans' needs (which I sometimes think is unfortunate), with little regard for any other living creatures.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I keep my cats indoors for several reasons.

1. Their safety--there are too many mean people and reckless drivers and other hazards. I'm not letting just anyway near my kitties. They are trusting me with their care, so no way I'm going to let them roam the streets where god knows what will happen to them. I always think of a little girl I know whose kitty was intentionally poisoned by a neighbor. The neighbor fed the cat antifreeze and it died.

2. My neighborhood is full of strays who may fight with my kitties or pass on diseases to them.

3. Cats kill lots of native species. It is really a problem in some places. They can also pass diseases like toxoplasmosis to local wildlife. It is better for wild animals to keep your kitties inside.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    quickcurl wrote:

See, that's how I feel too. My MIL kept talking about her mother who kept having her cats 'disappear' that were outside, right before telling me how weird I was. It seems I care way more about my pets than she does... I don't know. Cats are different than dogs, it's not as though you can put them in a cat lot or something :D I didn't think I was weird by any means; I didn't see why she said that :?

You're not wierd!!! I think you hit it on the head when you said that it seems you care more about your pets than she does. Some people just see them as animals and that's it; they aren't part of the family.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    My baby kitty is an indoor kitty. My sister's cats are both indoor kitties, although they do get supervised playtime in the backyard.

My mom has two indoor-outdoor cats, but they mostly stay inside, or on the giant back porch. When they do go outside, they never leave the fenced in backyard.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    For me this one is easy, since my cat was just poisoned a few days ago. She's okay thank the gods.

She (Pita) was a wild cat. It took 6 months to get her to come up to me. Another 6 months to get her to come in the house. 3 months to get her to stay in the house overnight. Once she was totally adjusted to being an indoor cat, that's where she stayed. In the summer she goes out on the porch or patio with me to roll around on the cement, chew on grass, and have some 'us' time. Well the other night she went to chew on grass and I could see immediately she was in trouble. My lawn guy knows to use fertilizers, etc that are safe for kids and pets, so I asked him what the deal was. Come to find out, he had seeded some bare spots with treated grass seed. Had she been allowed to go outside alone, she probably wouldn't be around today.

Now on the other side of the coin, I have had outdoor cats. When I moved into a house I bought years ago, there were a bunch of wild cats and kittens living in an abandoned building nearby. I tamed as many as possible, a few became my housecats, some were too wild to do much with so I humane trapped them and took them to a farm to be barn cats. I kept one of my favorite wild ones, built her a house on the back porch, trapped her and had her fixed, and she lived outside for 14 years before dying of old age. I tried and tried to get her in the house but she hated it! She was happy and healthy outside no matter how cold or hot it was.

But I really feel there is no reason for your pet cat to go outside unattended.
    Sorry this was so long.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    My cats stay indoors at all times. Families always like to point out what you do "wrong" according to them. Just smile :wink:
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Posts: 1,728Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My dear departed cat, Hunter, got outside once and was terrified! The poor baby spent a whole night outside and when my mom found him he was hiding under a bush.

I wouldn't want to have an outdoor cat with our crazy neighbors who have crazy kids and let their big dogs loose. My other neighbors have an outdoor cat who spends a good deal of time in our yard. I'm thinking of kidnapping her.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think if you call yourself "owning" a cat, you should keep them inside. People are mean to stray animals, they can pick up diseases, they get hit by cars, dogs chase them, they fight, and they can be a PITA to all your neighbors if you let them wander.

I can understand letting them out if you're there to watch them, but just letting them out and about? No. That just seems really irresponsible to me. I know no one likes to hear it, but there ya go.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote:
    I think if you call yourself "owning" a cat, you should keep them inside. People are mean to stray animals, they can pick up diseases, they get hit by cars, dogs chase them, they fight, and they can be a PITA to all your neighbors if you let them wander.

I can understand letting them out if you're there to watch them, but just letting them out and about? No. That just seems really irresponsible to me. I know no one likes to hear it, but there ya go.

Gotta agree with you on this, as on many things.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Thanks everyone. I'm glad to know I'm not "weird" as she said :D

It does depend on the situation. I live in a pretty rural area so it's not *as* big of a thing. My mom has 2 outdoor cats, but she also lives in a very secluded area with a small barely even one-lane background, many acres of woods, a huge field AND a barn. So the cats are more than happy there and don't even go up near the road! I have about 1 1/3 acres, a big portion of it fenced, with a backroad also, BUT a 4 lane just a couple blocks away - so I wouldn't feel right about it. Like I said, I did put mine outside for a bit (a couple hours) but they couldnt' get over the fence right now so they were okay.... I felt awful still and had to bring them in. I don't see how people can just not care about pets at all.. I'm STILL sad about my kitten that died last Friday. Actually broke down on my mom on the phone a few mins. ago, because it really hit me that he was not coming back...

I guess I'm just a softie :)
    DPTFm5.png
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    I want a cat and would keep mine inside at all times if I had one.
    3c
  • FrizzyJenFrizzyJen Posts: 22Registered Users
    Everyone I know with outside cats has lost one. My cats are indoor. We live in an upper apartment with a nice big porch, so they can get a little taste of outside.

Rheanna, I can relate to your sadness over your kitten. I remember when my mom's dog died I kept crying at work. :oops:

Jeepcurly, I liked your description of us time with your cat. I always try to get some quality bonding time in with my cats, particularly Aldo, my big mamma's boy :)
    3b/c, short now-growing it out
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My 3 cats are all indoor. One got out once. I ended up calling out from work to look for him, spent the day making flyers, talking to everyone in the neighborhood, and generally freaking out. Around midnight, I almost gave up and went for one last sweep of the neighborhood because it was starting to storm. As I was coming back, calling his name, I heard a meow and followed it. Turns out, he found the right building, but not the right apartment, and was hiding from the rain under a neighbor's porch. Moral of the story: don't let your cat out unless you expect to lose them. I guess what they say about cats always finding their way home isn't true either. I felt very lucky to have found him.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Jeep, I am so glad your cat is okay!
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I think cats are great outside. I am not a cat fan though, so I would NEVER have a cat inside. But, being from the country, I know many people that have cats that live outside on mouse patrol. Of course they feed them and they can crawl under the barn, tractor,etc if it rains,etc. it doens't get that cold where I am from, so that isn't an issue. I think if they have the means to live outside and you still feed them and stuff, it is fine and they would prob. prefer it. Just my opinion though. I would also point out that it wouldn't be a good idea to put a declawedcat outside b/c it wouldn't be able to defend itself.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Everywhere we've lived we saw cats running around, so I voted "No".

In fact, just this morning I had a tuxedo in my back yard, about 2-3 times a week I see a beautiful white & something ringtail & leg-striped cat jumping the fences & the wall behind our house, & a lady came around asking if I'd seen her several month old butterscotch-colored kitten.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got my cat when I was living in Center City Philadelphia and now we're in Manhattan. He's been indoors his whole life, and he's staying that way.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I've had four cats and they've all been kept indoors. At first it was because I lived in the center of a town, with no yard. After that it just seemed safer for the cats. We have a large yard where we are now, but all the neighbors have dogs, and there are coyotes and foxes around, which can make a meal of a cat.

Of my parents' two cats that went outdoors, one was killed by a car, even though it was a rural area and he was a pretty road-savvy cat. The other got into fights with other cats, even though he was neutered, and had some nasty injuries. He also got feline leukemia, though he survived it. And fleas and parasites were a constant struggle.

Your vet bills are much lower if the cat stays indoors.
    My 4 cats are all indoor cats. They have access to a window and my patio door so that they can get fresh air and watch the outside. They are all very happy and well adjusted. Cricket got out once for a whole day and was terrified, he's not used to the sounds and whatnot.

I live in an apartment complex where there are a lot of outdoor and stray cats. It breaks my heart to hear them fighting and to see the wounds on them. I feed the strays and would love to take them all in but, for abvious reasons, I can't.

An outdoor cat lives an average of 3-5 years, and indoor cat lives an average of 13-15 years.
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Both my cats are indoor cats. They were rescued and it was very hard for them to get used to being inside all the time due to their alley cat ways. One, in particular, would cry all the time wanting to be let out, but after a few days of not getting his way, he got used to it. It's much safer inside.

Just make sure kitty has enough to keep him entertained: Cat toys, cat trees, etc.

FYI, they do sell some mesh screens you can attach to either your porch and/or backyard fence (I don't know which), that will safely keep cats inside of your property, but they can still experience the outdoors. There are a lot out there. I don't know how easy this one would be to install. Hmm. http://www.purrfectfence.com/[/url]
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
    Only indoors for my 3 kitties, there's just too many things that can happen. One of my neighbors cats vanished and another one came home after being missing for 5 days with a broken tail and partially paralyzed. He had to have his tail amputated and it took weeks til he could walk normally and go to the bathroom on his own.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress. – Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file