Problem scalp. Any ideas?

Fixed!

Comments

• LightWavesLightWaves Registered Users Posts: 114
    I have not had the sores/bumps that you have, but I have had issues with itchy scalp, dandruff, and the occassional clogged pore/folicle. I wouldn't describe the clogged pores/folicles as sores, but they were bumps that were painful & occassionally itchy - does this sound at all like what you have? You may also be experiencing an allergic reaction to an ingredient in some of your products.

I'm not sure if you are already CG, but cutting out sulfate shampoos & reducing my lowpoos to once a week, as well as adding tea tree oil to my low poos & conditioners signficantly helped with the itchiness. For clogged pores/folicles, brown sugar scrubs every once in a while did the trick. Now that my scalp has adjusted to CG, I rarely have any itching & haven't had a clogged pore for months.

Sometimes I think the harshness of products, especially dandruff shampoos, just exacerbates scalp problems. Perhaps a more gentle routine would be beneficial for you. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but hopefully some other people will chime in if they have experienced the same thing you have.
    2a/2b/2c - I've experienced them all :iconbiggrin:

Still not sure about porosity/protein... my hair takes forever to dry & products often weigh it down, but I like protein. Thus I'm confused.

LowPoo: Mastey Traite
    Cowash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny, Trader Joe's TTT
    DT: Sevi Pumpkin Conditioner
    Styling: FSG, Pantene Curls Mousse, SS FHG, AO B5 Design Gel, Giovanni Mousse
    PT: Nexus Emergencee, AO GBP
    Styling Methods: Plopping, diffusing
  • curlymeggie1286curlymeggie1286 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Fixed!
  • LightWavesLightWaves Registered Users Posts: 114
    I should have told you which shampoos I've found helpful =). I use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo (non-sulfate) which feels really good on the scalp. A lot of people on the boards also use Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo. Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties that might help with your scalp issues.

Max Green Alchemy also has a shampoo called "Scalp Rescue", which I haven't tried because it's a bit on the expensive side, but it's gotten good reviews.

Good luck!
    2a/2b/2c - I've experienced them all :iconbiggrin:

Still not sure about porosity/protein... my hair takes forever to dry & products often weigh it down, but I like protein. Thus I'm confused.

LowPoo: Mastey Traite
    Cowash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny, Trader Joe's TTT
    DT: Sevi Pumpkin Conditioner
    Styling: FSG, Pantene Curls Mousse, SS FHG, AO B5 Design Gel, Giovanni Mousse
    PT: Nexus Emergencee, AO GBP
    Styling Methods: Plopping, diffusing
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Registered Users Posts: 105
    It seems like that fixes everything. You could mix 1/4 ACV to 3/4 water. Wet hair, cover hair with conditioner but not top 1" near scalp, pour ACV mix on, rub in, put on cap for 10+ minutes, rinse with cold water. Do every time you shower until problem is resolved. You could also try putting ACV directly on the spots... maybe soak a Q-tip in it and hold onto it for a few seconds. I don't know if this will help. I have just heard that ACV gets rid of any kind of skin problem, from acne, dandruff, foot fungus to ear infections. You could research online for more info.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • Akua WoodAkua Wood Registered Users Posts: 23
    I totally agree with ringlets on fire {love the name}.

You could also try treating your scalp with neem powder mixed with some ACV.
  • melle76amelle76a Registered Users Posts: 64
    i also agree that cutting out sulfates will help. i used to have an irritated scalp most of the time, with itchy and 'sore' spots around the base of my head/hairline. since i've cut out the harsh sulfates, it has not been a problem any more! i almost can't believe the difference it has made.

so, i would switch to a natural shampoo without sulfates. good luck!
    Mel- 3b, blonde, normal to fine, chin-length.
  • tntbrumstntbrums Registered Users Posts: 3
    My 8 year old has had a battle with ringworms on the skin but now she has it in her hair. she has soft curly natural hair but now her hair looks like a over relaxed and broken off due to the scalp fungus. any natural remedies or suggesstions out there. Desperate and hurt for my baby. Thanks!
  • andreajones188andreajones188 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 65 Curl Connoisseur
    Itchy Scalp driving you crazy? An itchy scalp is one of the most common and unpleasant hair care struggles we face. A itchy dry scalp mainly comes from lack of moisture, which is why you’ll most likely experience it in the winter. People often mistake an itchy dry scalp for dandruff. THIS IS NOT TRUE. If you have dandruff, your flakes will be large and your scalp will be extremely oily. If you have a itchy dry scalp, your flakes will be small and dry in texture. Below we’ll be answering your most asked questions on why this happens and how to prevent, it so you can say GOODBYE to an itchy scalp.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file