advice with shampoo bars?

solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
Hi all--
I tried shampoo bars for the first time today and I did not like how it felt in the shower. My hair felt very waxy and I couldn't get my fingers through it after lathering and rinsing. I tried two lathers and the waxy feeling kept getting worse, so I ended up using Jessicurl GLS to try to get the feeling out.

So, my question is, does it just take time to get used to shampoo bars, or do I have some serious buildup that I need to clarify out? I would like to like shampoo bars, but at this moment, I am not a fan.

Thanks for any advice!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    It takes a few uses for hair to acclimate to the bars. They feel "waxy" for the first few uses. They feel a little odd, but once I use my rinse out--that feeling goes away.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    After styling, I use a little oil (Jessicurl's Oil Blend) to smooth out frizz when I SOTC. I also only wash/style every 2-3 days. Would either of these impact how I use or what kind of shampoo bars I use? Can anyone recommend a specific bar type? There are so many choices--oils or no oils, scents or no scents, honey, milk, tea tree, etc!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    I use some of the "heavier" products that have oils/butters in them. I think the natural soap bars take out any residual ingredients from these products. Just buy ones with ingredients your hair likes.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CanarygirlCanarygirl Registered Users Posts: 9
    also...if you have hard water in your area, this could be contributing to the waxy feeling. Some people with hard water have better luck with bars that do not contain castor oil. So, soap bars instead of shampoo bars (generally shampoo bars have castor oil to improve the foaming).

Apple Cider Vinegar + water + shot of condish is a good rinse for after a bar shampoo
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    solidgold wrote: »
    Hi all--
    I tried shampoo bars for the first time today and I did not like how it felt in the shower. My hair felt very waxy and I couldn't get my fingers through it after lathering and rinsing. I tried two lathers and the waxy feeling kept getting worse, so I ended up using Jessicurl GLS to try to get the feeling out.

So, my question is, does it just take time to get used to shampoo bars, or do I have some serious buildup that I need to clarify out? I would like to like shampoo bars, but at this moment, I am not a fan.

Thanks for any advice!
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....You need to know the texture/porosity of your hair to determine whether you can use these bars. If you're coarse/porous it's likely that your hair will not respond well to them. There was some discussion here about another gal having issues with the bars. Even if you find some with ingredients that your hair "likes" they can still be very harsh on the wrong type of hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=77660

You also didn't mention doing an ACV rinse afterwards which is very important.
    http://livecurlylivefree.com/FAQs.htm
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • scoles222scoles222 Registered Users Posts: 21
    I got 2 shampoo bars from a holistic food store here by me, I was so excited to use them since they are all natural & certified organic. And I like the idea of cutting down on packaging (they are wrapped in recycled newspaper) and that they are easy to travel with. But I must say that I DO feel that it is buliding up on my hair. I've been using it for about 2 weeks & not liking the condition my hair is in right now. Do you think that shampoo bars might just not be for me, or should I try a different brand? The ones I got are made by Earth's Bounty. TIA!
    scoles222 wrote: »
    I got 2 shampoo bars from a holistic food store here by me, I was so excited to use them since they are all natural & certified organic. And I like the idea of cutting down on packaging (they are wrapped in recycled newspaper) and that they are easy to travel with. But I must say that I DO feel that it is buliding up on my hair. I've been using it for about 2 weeks & not liking the condition my hair is in right now. Do you think that shampoo bars might just not be for me, or should I try a different brand? The ones I got are made by Earth's Bounty. TIA!

I've never had a problem with build up. My hair doesn't like castor oil and I had a problem when I used a bar that did. Now that I don't use castor oil, my hair is very happy. It could be the ingredients in the bars.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LilylouLilylou Registered Users Posts: 9
    Kathymack, are the goat milk bars lighter than the butter bars? I really liked the samples you sent, and the curl was better until the dews got higher. Then I seemed to loose the curl.
    Lilylou wrote: »
    Kathymack, are the goat milk bars lighter than the butter bars? I really liked the samples you sent, and the curl was better until the dews got higher. Then I seemed to loose the curl.

I'm using the goats milk bar right now and like it a lot. Enough so that I may order another scent (or a scent) next time around. If you want a lighter soap for summer, I'd go with the organic bars. The don't have shea butter. (I'm out of Rosewood Balsam, which is the only organic bar I get with shea butter.)
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file