Natural Non-Hair Products That Work

EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
Here's the thread for natural product that work well and are not to expensive. I'll start:
Deodorant (not anti-preseperant (sp?))-Kiss My Face Liquid Rock (roll-on NOT stick (the stick doesn't do anything for me)
Sunscreen- I think most work but I love Natures Gate Giggleberry scent!
Bug repellent- Badger makes the best one I've tried tho not amazing it helps and the bugs do love me
Lotion-Burt's Bees Honey and Shea Butter Body Butter
Foot Lotion-Burt's Bees Coconut
Lips- Burt's Bees, love it!
Just a note- I don't really like supporting Burt's Bees since they have such a big company but their ingredients are better than average so I do buy their really effective stuff...

Comments

• dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    Here is just a repeat from another thread.

Deoderant: Crystal body deoderant stick. and I LOVE it, works surprisingl good for just mineral salts. Hypoallergenic, fragrance and paraben free, its even endorsed by the cancer treatment centers. But it has to be applied after you shower and before you sweat. But i really like it! i don't stink, it is a better antipersperant than the dove kind i was using, and it has no residue/gunk on your cloths, and leaves me feeling really clean.

sunscreen: burts bees chemical free sunscreen, a little hard to spread, but i really like it!

bug spray:burts bees herbal insect repellant

Lotion:homemade whipped unrefined shea butter with a little bit of coconut, sweet almond and apricot kernal oils. (it seems to not only hydrate but heal dry skin too.

Facial scrub: make a paste with baking soda and a few drops of water and then scrub my face and rinse (daily used). Then once a week I scrub with cornmeal/honey/little milk. I have never had clearer skin!

Baby soap: Burts bees baby bee buttermilk soap bar. Changing over to CV's castile and calendula baby soap.
    Baby wipes:Homemade-Paper towels and CV's castile and calendula soap, and water.
    Baby bum ointment: Hyland's Diaper Ointment with calendula extract. Works wonders, way better than desitin! I have used it for other skin irritations for my family.

Soap: chagrin valley soaps

Toothpaste: Still trying to find a good one...for now I make my own. Baking soda, natural sea salts, and peppermint EO. ...yeah, it is kinda gross, any suggestions?

Cleaning: Most things I spray hydogen peroxide and then spray vinegar on top and let sit for a few minutes and wipe away-sterilizes and degreases and shines and I don't get headaches when I clean and super cheep! if i need a scrub i use baking soda and vinegar.

I have become a product label junky! If anyone has anything else they like post it! I am trying to find good stuff without it having to break the bank!
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    forgot my toothpaste- kiss my face triple something-- love love love it! 50x better than Toms, which isnt that natural anyways!!!
    and does the crystal keep you from sweating, or just not smell?
    is the bug repellent that you use work well?
  • tnaturaltnatural Posts: 362Registered Users
    I started converting to natural products a couple of years ago after my skin broke out in tiny bumps after using Bath & Body Works lotion (mainly used it on my hands at work). My brother told me how bad that was for my skin and I should really look into more natural products. He gave me a sample of Dr. Hauschka, unforunately my skin did not like it and its way too expensive. I purchased sample of Burts Bees and was hooked. It just kinda of progressed from there.

I use a lot of their products, but there are some that just don't like (ex. Orange facial cleanser..Yuck!) But here are the ones I do like as well as other products.

Facial Care
    BB Lip Balm
    BB Soap Bark Chamomile cleanser (winter)
    Desert Essence Face Wash (summer)-It's thin but a little goes a long way. It really helps when my skin gets oily from the summer heat. The refill is only $10 for 32oz
    BB Tomato Garden toner-small bottle but again you only need a small amount
    BB Blemish Stick-helps zap little bumps I get during the month
    BB Radiance Night and Eye Creme-these are ok but a bit pricey. I have had the same jars for months probably because I don't use is every night.
    BB Facial scrub-love this stuff
    Bentonite Clay-Use this on my hair and face
    Still looking for a natural moisturizer-I have not converted yet

Body
    BB Citrus bobdy wash
    BB Shea butter bar soap
    Tom's of Maine bar soap
    BB Milk and Honey Lotion-just wish this came in a bigger bottle
    BB Coco/Macadamia Body Buter-mainly use this on my hands at night
    BB Shea Butter Repair Creme-This is expensive but its the only thing I use in the winter when my hands get dry and cracked.

Oral Care-
    Have not converted all the way just use Tom's of Maine mouthwash

Medical Treatments/Remedies
    BB Res Q Onitment-works pretty well on minor scraps but I still use Neosporin
    BB Muscle Mend- WOW this stuff is awesome. I get bad back pain during that time of the month and this really helps.
    BB Bug Relief-I used this while I was in Costa Rica and it worked but it did not take the swelling down just tamed the itchness.
    Bug Spray-I cannot remeber the name but I bought it at WholeFoods. But it wasn't BB LOL. I just remember it was a green and white bottle and it worked pretty well.
    BB Cuticle Creme

Laundry-All Seventh Generation except for Ecover stain remover-this stuff is a life saver

Cleaning-All Seventh Generation except for Ecover dishwashing tablets, Rinse Aid, and Cream Scrub

I apologize this is so long LOL but I just love my natural products!!
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
    Forgot to mention I was very upset (and still am) that Clorox bought out Burts Bees. Why couldn't they be purchased from another Natural company errrrr. I
    figured as long as their products don't change I will still use them. If I start seeing some funky ingredients I will be switching. I just wish that some of their products came in refills or bigger sizes. Like their lotions and hand soaps. I stopped using their hand soap (which I loved) months ago cause I didn't like buying a pump everytime.
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    manya994 wrote: »
    forgot my toothpaste- kiss my face triple something-- love love love it! 50x better than Toms, which isnt that natural anyways!!!
    I use the Tom's SLS free toothpaste and like it. What are te KMF ingredients?

I, too, am curious about the deodorant. I have to use clinical strength deodorant and that keeps me from trying to switch to natural kind as I've never had luck with them.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Over the years, I've switched to almost everything natural.

Cleaning: Claudia's Choices (locally made all natural) laundry soap, baking soda and castile soap scrubbing cleaner, d'limonene all purpose cleaner, Seventh Generation bathroom cleaner, toilet cleaner, and all purpose cleaner, Nature Clean dish soap, Lime Mate and Lemon Mate air fresheners, vinegar, baking soda, club soda, etc for various uses.
    Facial cleansing: Oil Cleansing Method
    Cosmetics: Aveda eyeliner and mascara, Burt's Bees or Desert Essence Lip Balm
    Boday Lotion: Earthsafe, various oils
    Hand lotion: Aveda, Earthsafe, various oils and butters
    Sunscreen: Aveda for face, Badger or Alba for body
    Bug Spray: essential oils, mainly citronella and peppermint

Can't think of anything else right now, LOL!

Oh yeah: toothpaste! I use Kiss My Face Powersmile :)
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

I use the Tom's SLS free toothpaste and like it. What are te KMF ingredients?

I, too, am curious about the deodorant. I have to use clinical strength deodorant and that keeps me from trying to switch to natural kind as I've never had luck with them.

here's all the KMF toothpastes: http://kissmyface.com/oralcarepages/oralcarepage.html if you click learn more it has the ingrediants

and i have to say thier roll on deodorant is awesome-- like lasts for 3 days and i still wont smell on sweaty days!

BTW I also use BB blemish Stick and it does work well!

mmmm, that sound like good toothpaste, i will have to look into that! i know what you mean about the toms!

i used the deoderant at the splash park with my 1 year old-we didn't get wet he hated it! but i didn't get sticky which i usually do with the other. so i think it might help keep you from sweating too. not sure... but ever since i switched i hardly sweat, and my cloths don't get that gross armpit stain anymore.

the bug spray works well, as long as you get it worked well all over exposed areas! i missed a few spots last weekend when we went in the mountains, and i am paying for it! in a little strip there are 10 mosquito bits there :angry3:.
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
    tnatural wrote: »
    Forgot to mention I was very upset (and still am) that Clorox bought out Burts Bees. Why couldn't they be purchased from another Natural company errrrr. I
    figured as long as their products don't change I will still use them. If I start seeing some funky ingredients I will be switching. I just wish that some of their products came in refills or bigger sizes. Like their lotions and hand soaps. I stopped using their hand soap (which I loved) months ago cause I didn't like buying a pump everytime.

BUMMER!!! :angry3: :angry3: :angry3: they better not change their ingredients! i'll be watching them!
    but maybe they will let you buy in bulk! or more bulkier amounts!
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One more thing I forgot to put in my list is deodorant, I use a crystal, the one that looks like a rock. It works really well, I've been using them for years. I never smell, even after a hot day driving my bus, and I'm a big girl! There's not even any smell when I get up in the morning before I hit the shower! Plus, one stone lasts for over a year, unless I drop it :)
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

dailywavy wrote: »
    tnatural wrote: »

BUMMER!!! :angry3: :angry3: :angry3: they better not
    change their ingredients! i'll be watching them!
    but maybe they will let you buy in bulk! or more bulkier
    amounts!

I hope so I will have to search on the net for the bulk sizes.
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm also slowly switching over to all natural or more natural products.

For my face: (so far this routine has been working very well for me)
    Oil cleansing method
    Homemade ACV toner
    Tea tree oil for blemishes
    Homemade Vit C serum
    Mineral makeup and blush
    I'm looking for a more natural lipstick since I reapply so many times a day

Body:
    BB's Citrus and Gingerroot body wash (LOVE the scent!)
    Trader Joe's soaps
    BB's Soothingly Sensitive buttermilk lotion
    BB's Honey and Shea Body Butter
    TerraOrganics Shea butter
    I'm hoping to switch to a more natural deodorant but I need something that will work in the summer heat
    Also looking to switch to a more natural toothpaste
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
    magoo- as I said before on this thread KMF makes a wonderful toothpaste and liquid deodorant.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    magoo- as I said before on this thread KMF makes a wonderful toothpaste and liquid deodorant.

I will have to check them out. The natural deodorants work well for me in the colder weather but come summer, not so much.

I also plan on switching all my nailpolishes to those that are formaldehyde and toluene free.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file