volume on top

Ok, I'm really sorry to be a repeat. I'm sure this has been here a million times but I can't seem to find an answer.

I have great volume on the sides of my face, trust me, I have A LOT of hair, but the top of my head goes flat from the weight of the curls and I'm at a loss of how to get more volume and still stay CG.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Hair Type: 3a/3b and LOTS of it! Hair color ranges from dark brown to light brown with blonde and red highlights thrown in from the sun. haha I've never had two people call it the same color :P

Started CG 3/1/09 and I am loving it! I can't wait to see the results after a couple of months. I've become a curly girl fanatic :love7:

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    Clipping, plopping and diffusing help. As do certain products, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]CJ Aloe Fix[/buylink] Gel, and CJ Smoothing gel if applied lightly and not on the roots.

Products will be somewhat dependant on your hair characteristics though. I'm fine textured so my hair likes lots of protein.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Only addition to whatsercurls suggestions I can think of is--do you have layers? They lighten up hair a lot and help prevent that triangle hair. If your hair is long and heavy, it's hard.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    Giving your hair a final upside-down rinse in the shower can help to increase volume. It works much better for me than just clipping. Just make sure to run the water over the sides of your hair and any bits you don't want volume in when you're right-side-up again :)
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • laredheadlaredhead Registered Users Posts: 30
    Pineappling works for me. I can get great volume on the sides, but not on top. I have to leave the top of my hair in a pineapple all night to get decent volume on top.
    Tryin' to figure this out!!!

CG since 05/05/09
    2b/c? - wavy with a few spirals
    High porosity, medium texture... umm, I think???

Co-wash: Giovanni TTT
    Rinse-out: Biotera volumizing or Burt's Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Gel: Biotera

My hair hates HE!!
  • dromero52512dromero52512 Registered Users Posts: 5
    laredhead wrote: »
    Pineappling works for me. I can get great volume on the sides, but not on top. I have to leave the top of my hair in a pineapple all night to get decent volume on top.

hi! What is pineappling? I'm new to the site so not sure! I have this same issue!

thanks!
    ~~~~DAMI~~~~
  • KeLynnKeLynn Registered Users Posts: 182
    miralaluna wrote: »
    Giving your hair a final upside-down rinse in the shower can help to increase volume. It works much better for me than just clipping. Just make sure to run the water over the sides of your hair and any bits you don't want volume in when you're right-side-up again :)

This might be a dumb question (I'm new!) but do you still comb out your hair after that? I use a wide-tooth comb to get out tangles before I plop, but it seems like that would undo any benefits of rinsing upside down?
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file