tried FSG. any good cream-based recipes??? desperate to continue no poo :(

aferlynnaferlynn Posts: 3Registered Users
pre-no-poo, I used frizz-ease poo/condish and "curls rock" styling cream with super success. no complaints, but in my efforts to rid my life of chemicals i've started no pooing about 2 weeks ago.

no problem with grease, but frizz! everywhere!!! i've tried a few FSG recipes i found here, with aloe and oils etc. my problem is this: any FSG combo tends to weigh my hair down a lot, and i still end up with a halo of frizz.

i know my hair might still be transitioning, i'm going to try a deep conditioning treatment tonight hopefully to help. but does anybody have any more creamy-based recipes for styling with? i'm thinking that since the "curls rock" was more of a cream and less of a gel that might be why my hair liked it.

i miss my volume and frizz free hair i had before i stopped using chemical based products (see my avatar for what that looked like!).. but i really want to try and stick with this routine. thanks for your help!

Comments

• likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm pretty new to the CG method too, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I do have a few thoughts.

The last time you poo'd, did you use the old non-cg condish and styling products after? If so, you may still have cones in your hair, and you might need to clarify to remove them.

Also, if you post your hair texture/porosity and the products that you are using right now that will help people to know what you may need to do differently.

What sort of towel are you using on your hair? Terry towels make frizz, while t-shirts, flour sack towels, and special cloths like Curlease and Curls Like Us will help prevent frizz. Sleeping on a satin pillowcase will also help a lot. Are you brushing your hair, finger combing, or using a wide toothed comb? That can make a big difference too.

I know how complicated this is when you're new, and when you're trying to use natural products, it's even more so. I am doing the same thing, and it's frustrating at times!
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• aferlynnaferlynn Posts: 3Registered Users
    well I'm not using conditioner.. I know that makes it way more complicated but I'm trying to avoid buying commercial products in general! So I've washed about twice since starting, one using a flax seed gel wash and once using about 2 tbsp baking soda diluted in lots of water (followed with an ACV rinse). After I get out of the shower I comb with wide tooth comb, have been putting FSG in my hair and drying most of the way with a diffuser (I can't realy go out with wet hair). On days I don't wash I just do water only followed by combing/styling. Surprisingly I don't have much of a problem with grease, being new to the no 'poo thing, so I'm thinking I might just have dry hair..

I'm not sure about porus/non porus? I think I have somewhere between 3A and 3B curls - they get curlier when shorter but they're not quite as tight of a curl as most of the 3Bs.

Last night I tried an olive oil/jojoba oil/agave nectar/shea butter deep condition, but heh, i havent figured out how to get it all out fo my hair yet! oy..

Is there any way to use shea to help cut down on frizz without weighing hair down? My problem with the FSG is it weighs hair down, so I have zero volume and kind of less curl.

Oh, and I do use a microfiber towel as well.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Why aren't you using condish?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• aferlynnaferlynn Posts: 3Registered Users
    I'm trying to stop buying commercial made products, and the plastic bottles they come in if I can help it.. Plus to get completely organic or all natural conditioners it's expensive and I'm on a tight budget. I want to be more eco-friendly. So it's not exactly the CG method, just the no'poo method.
  • mevluvmarkmevluvmark Posts: 18Registered Users
    If your hair is frizz, you might need more moisture. Since you don't want to use commerical products, you can try: fenugreek powder or seeds, hibiscus powder, bringeraj(one of the best moisturizing ingredient i have ever used, this will work when nothing else will, unless you have a buildup) banana baby food, marshmallow root or powder, irish powder and of course honey. All of these are very moisturizing, if you have fine hair you will need some protein added to these moisturizing ingredients. Milk products, eggs are just a few of products that contain protein.

Hope i help you some.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you thought of making your own condish? There is a recipe here that I'm about to try. Check out Shawnette's blog too for other great homemade recipes.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    another thought about using condish, some places will refill your bottles for you. I know of several salons in my area that do it, and a couple of natural grocers. If you do some looking, maybe you can find a place that sells a CG product and will refill a bottle for you, saving the waste
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file