Something helpful for KP

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
Wanted to share something that has been helping with my KP. I have it really bad on my arms and a little bit on my thighs. A couple weeks ago I started using a microdermabrasion bar that I got from my stylist. It's light enough to use everyday. I then follow it with extra virgin coconut oil and it really seems to be improving the bumps and redness. Better then the prescription I get from the derm. I saw recommendations for the coconut oil on the kp website and thought it was worth a shot. It comes in a solid form but I keep it in the shower so it turns soft pretty quick from the heat. But it will also turn soft if you just rub it in your hand for a minute. I rub it on my arms and then rinse off just a little before I get out of the shower. It makes my skin really soft and I don't feel greasy. I have also been using just a smidge on my face as a moisturizer because it is supposed to work well for eczema too. It does seem to be helping that as well and isn't breaking me out which is nice. Thought I would pass it along in case it helps someone else.
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    :D I have kp! I heard about the coconut oil too I think I might try that I also heard..this is kinda weird but peanut butter like rub it on for 25 minutes and wash it off.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I think I have heard the about the peanut butter thing too although I am kind of iffy on wanting to try it.

Lately I have been putting a tiny bit of coconut oil on my arms after I am out of the shower and dry. For some reason that seems to work a little better. I always thought moisturizer was supposed to work better when the skin is damp (absorbs better) but it seems to do more for my redness if I wait until I am dry first.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    I had a light case of it on the backs of my upper arms. Knock on wood, it's gone since I've been using exfoliating scrub & exfoliating mitts.
    Definitely think the exfoliation thing is a big key to helping. I have a pretty serious mess of it all over my arms (more concentrated on the upper part) and a slightly less mess of it on my thighs. It's maddeningly frustrating to treat but the microdermabrasion bar is helping ALOT. More than the previous scrub I was using (Soap and Glory Scrub of Your Life). It has really cut down on the appearance of new bumps and seems to be helping clear up some scarring from old bumps and ones that don't seem to want to heal up. Very happy about that. I don't think it will ever totally disappear but anything to be less obvious is awesome.
    Soap and Glory Scrub of Your Life

Whatever you do, do NOT try their Some Like it Hot Thermal Scrub! :shock: Do NOT like! I stopped using it on my body parts that's stated for use on, on the tube & kept it for use on just my feet, & it's still too hot. I wince every time I use it!
    lazy loops wrote: »
    Soap and Glory Scrub of Your Life

Whatever you do, do NOT try their Some Like it Hot Thermal Scrub! :shock: Do NOT like! I stopped using it on my body parts that's stated for use on, on the tube & kept it for use on just my feet, & it's still too hot. I wince every time I use it!

Eek! I will definitely skip that. The only other product I ever tried of theirs was a body butter and it wasn't good. The Scrub of your life is ok. Not harsh and it does help some. I may try using it on my feet since I stopped using it on my arms and I hate to waste it.
    The Soap & Glory stuff isn't cheap either. I had to throw the Thermal away this afternoon because I couldn't get the rest (a tbsp or so :dontknow:) out of the tube. It's so thick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file