"curly" cuts

dyeozdyeoz Registered Users Posts: 18
Okay, where I live there are a handful of people who supposedly cut "curly".
Alot of them charge $100.
There is one who charges $60, one who chargess $70.
The one who charges $100 is supposedly deva certified.
In a city, about 3 hours away from me- There is a stylist who is deva certified and cuts for $60-$75...

Do I really need a "curly" cut ?? Or can any good stylist cut my hair? I'm worried and don't know what to do. The $100 seems like alot for a cut, especially if I have to continually go to this stylist... That is way more money than I have ever spent on a haircut. :hello2:
comic-p.jpg

Comments

• shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I have never had a stylist who specifically works with curls so I couldn't tell you if they are better. I find that using a regular hairdresser is fine as long as you are really specific about what you want. Personally I find that if they use silicone product my curls end up droopy, and that my curls get looser if they cut short layers into my hair. Also I let it air dry rather than watching them struggle with a diffuser...lol!
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You will get mixed opinions here. There are some who believe that only Deva style dry cuts work and others who feel that you can get a great haircut from a great stylist. I'm of the second opinion--feel that my stylist knows hair. Gives an incredible wet cut whether you've got straight or curly hair (my aunt has straight hair.) We both get followed and asked about out hair if that's support.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    kathymack wrote: »
    You will get mixed opinions here. There are some who believe that only Deva style dry cuts work and others who feel that you can get a great haircut from a great stylist. I'm of the second opinion--feel that my stylist knows hair. Gives an incredible wet cut whether you've got straight or curly hair (my aunt has straight hair.) We both get followed and asked about out hair if that's support.

Ditto - my stylist is not Deva trained nor does he cut me dry but I'm very happy with the cuts he gives me. He also is non-judgemental about my choice of haircare routines. He feels the health and look are what matters and has even started telling some of his curly clients about nc.com.

Interestingly he told me last time I was there that he cuts really curly hair dry because of springback. The way he described it I would say he meant 3B or 3C.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Registered Users Posts: 3,061 Curl Neophyte
    I think a talented hair stylist will be able to do whatever you ask for. My hair stylist is not deva trained and she gives me the best hair cuts ever. she also cuts my hair wet. Often senior stylist are who I go with.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    kathymack wrote: »

Interestingly he told me last time I was there that he cuts really curly hair dry because of springback. The way he described it I would say he meant 3B or 3C.

I think it definitely depends on your curl pattern. I’m a 3a and have no problem getting a cut from a regular hairdresser. However I can see how people with tighter, thicker curls like 3b/c would have a harder time getting a decent cut from a non deva stylist.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    mdrb wrote: »

I think it definitely depends on your curl pattern. I’m a 3a and have no problem getting a cut from a regular hairdresser. However I can see how people with tighter, thicker curls like 3b/c would have a harder time getting a decent cut from a non deva stylist.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But I still think it depends on the talent of the stylist. My stylist does a lot of ladies with the kind of hair you describe and they leave his chair with great cuts.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • divecurldivecurl Registered Users Posts: 45
    I agree too that it really depends on the stylist. A long time ago (at least 5 years), I went to a specialized curly salon because I wanted a shorter style. The end result was I spent $100 for a haircut I could have gotten for $15 at Supercuts. Fortunately, my hair grows quickly.

I've been going to my current stylist for 2 or 3 years now. He's a "regular" stylist, but he generally does a good job cutting my hair. A few months ago I saw a curly style on a video that I really liked. I described it to him the best I could. He asked me a few questions for more clarification, and then was ready to cut my hair. It was amazing! I LOVE my new style and it is exactly what I saw on the video. And it cost me a whopping $27.

If you decide to go with a regular stylist, I suggest you read the post by struttswife on what to tell your stylist.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=76806

I wish I had read this sooner. When I got my latest trim, my stylist used thinning shears on my hair (I have no idea why). By the end of that evening it was clear to me that something was very wrong with my hair. So I did a little researching on thinning shears and found my answer. Moral of the story, a regular stylist can be very good at cutting curly hair. But they don't necessarily know ALL of the ins and outs. That's o.k. as long as they are open to dialog and feedback. And remember, it always grows back! :happy8:
    Hair type: 3a/3b, medium texture (canopy is coarse), high porosity.
    Hair hates protein; tolerates only low amounts of glycerine.
    Products:
    Color: Redken Shades EQ
    Rinse-out: Curls Coconut Sublime, Nirvana Cherry Bark/Almond, JC Aloeba
    Leave-in: BB Curl Styling Lotion, Darcy's Peach Kernel Milk, Darcy's Avocado & Wild Plum, TheraNeem Leaf & Oil Cream,
    Styling/Hold: KCCC, Fairy Tales Curly Q Natural Curl Maker, TheraNeem Neem Leaf & Aloe Gel
    DTs: Refined Coconut Oil, Ojon, Homemade Avocado
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    I agree, too. My current stylist is Deva trained and uses it regularly on some people, but we've found that for my hair, a wet cut works better. When I used to be curlier with a more reliable curl pattern, dry was preferrable.

I went to two previous Deva stylists who were horrible and cost twice as much as she does - just because they've gone to a class for a few hours does not mean they've actually put it to use and know what they're doing OR that it's what's best for your hair.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file