Letterman's Comments on Palin and her daughter

curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
I know this is everywhere right now. I'm not a big fan of Palin but what Letterman said was just nasty. It just bugged me a lot. I don't care if he meant the 18 year old girl it's just nasty. Seriously there are plenty of jokes to be made about Palin herself did he really need to make nasty sex jokes about her daughters? I don't know it just seems wrong.

Comments

  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Any sexual jokes are degrading towards all women. :protest:
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Yeah my thoughts exactly.
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    I think he could've used a different joke--it was under the belt--inappropriate--ultimately, not a joke to say on national television about someone's underage daughter.

    *shrugs*

    I don't think it's a big deal to get too worked up about--but yeah, it wasn't a smart thing for Letterman to do. I don't think Letterman was intentionally trying to be degrading/inappropriate. Poor use of judgement, methinks.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Honestly?

    I couldn't care less about it. He's a comedian. Apparently the only joks that get any play are sexual in nature, and given Bristol's continual media coverage, which I suspect is of her own volition, I'm not particularly sympathetic to her (or her mother) being miffed about being made fun of.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    Honestly?

    I couldn't care less about it. He's a comedian. Apparently the only joks that get any play are sexual in nature, and given Bristol's continual media coverage, which I suspect is of her own volition, I'm not particularly sympathetic to her (or her mother) being miffed about being made fun of.

    The remark wasn't made about Bristol but her sister who is 14.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • mandatoryfunmandatoryfun Posts: 878Registered Users
    TK* wrote: »
    Honestly?

    I couldn't care less about it. He's a comedian. Apparently the only joks that get any play are sexual in nature, and given Bristol's continual media coverage, which I suspect is of her own volition, I'm not particularly sympathetic to her (or her mother) being miffed about being made fun of.

    The remark wasn't made about Bristol but her sister who is 14.

    Okay, well let's be up front and honest here. Letterman thought he was making a joke about Bristol, completely unaware that Palin had visited Yankee Stadium with her 14-yr-old. So the intention was to make fun of Bristol. I don't think that's an excuse - he may have attacked Bristol, but it was really affront on women everywhere.

    I do feel bad for Bristol. I don't think she wanted to be involved in this media circus when she first got pregnant. We should remember that there are plenty of girls out there who are in a similar situation; they don't deserve our scorn or our ridicule, but should be encouraged to be strong, independent women. What happened to Bristol is her mother's fault, and if Letterman should be directing these jokes at anyone, it should be Sarah Palin herself. Her support of abstinence only eduction is a formula for teen pregnancies. And, of course, Palin has used the mock outrage about this attack on her daughters to forward her own political career/agenda. While watching a CNN interview the other day that was supposedly about this attack on Bristol and how inappropriate it was, I instead got to hear Palin blather on for a while about a pipeline. I thought that the American people vetoed ideas like that in November, so why exploit your daughters to try to push it on us again?

    Which leads me to another point. CNN, why am I seeing a 15-20 minute segment and interview with Sarah Palin over the Letterman incident, but the segment on Iranian elections is under 5 minutes long? Aren't we also on the verge of momentous health care reform? Inappropriate though the joke was, can we please talk about REAL NEWS for once?
    CG since 07/26/09
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    TK* wrote: »
    Honestly?

    I couldn't care less about it. He's a comedian. Apparently the only joks that get any play are sexual in nature, and given Bristol's continual media coverage, which I suspect is of her own volition, I'm not particularly sympathetic to her (or her mother) being miffed about being made fun of.

    The remark wasn't made about Bristol but her sister who is 14.

    I disagree. His intent was to joke about Bristol.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    He thought Bristol was there at the game, but in fact it was her sister. So yeah, he was aiming the joke towards Bristol but since she wasn't there, the joke carried over to the 14 yr old sister.

    Splitting hairs? Yeah. Inappropriate? For either sister, probably. Is this a big deal? I personally don't think so.

    *shrugs*
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    TK* wrote: »
    He thought Bristol was there at the game, but in fact it was her sister. So yeah, he was aiming the joke towards Bristol but since she wasn't there, the joke carried over to the 14 yr old sister.

    Splitting hairs? Yeah. Inappropriate? For either sister, probably. Is this a big deal? I personally don't think so.

    *shrugs*

    I think it's a big deal mainly because we as society seem to shrug off things comedians say as "jokes" when in reality a lot of what they say is plain vulgar, sick and disgusting. I think by us laughing and shrugging it off doesn't make us any better than him. This statement was very low, and I personally cannot give Letterman a "pass" for this one.
    3b/c
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I read where Olive Garden has pulled their ads from Letterman. I have always felt when your livelihood depends on the public, once you do or say something offensive it can mean the public turning on you, sort of like the Dixie Chicks (though I don't see this being as big).

    Am I the only person or do some of these comedians seem to be the class bully in disguise? If our kids said some of these things in school to other kids, we would call them bullies; if a comedian does it, it's a joke? I sometimes think there is a fine line between funny and bully.
    3b/c
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    I know this is everywhere right now. I'm not a big fan of Palin but what Letterman said was just nasty. It just bugged me a lot. I don't care if he meant the 18 year old girl it's just nasty. Seriously there are plenty of jokes to be made about Palin herself did he really need to make nasty sex jokes about her daughters? I don't know it just seems wrong.

    E.T.A. here's a linky for the Olive Garden

    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/06/olive-garden-yanks-letterman-ads.html
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway


    CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:




  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is what I don't get. Letterman makes a stupid joke, and he is a misogynist who has to apologize. Sarah Silverman makes stupid jokes over and over again, and she's cute. Um, ok, whatever.

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I have no idea who that is.
  • curly2curly2 Posts: 320Registered Users
    TK* wrote: »
    Honestly?

    I couldn't care less about it. He's a comedian. Apparently the only joks that get any play are sexual in nature, and given Bristol's continual media coverage, which I suspect is of her own volition, I'm not particularly sympathetic to her (or her mother) being miffed about being made fun of.

    The remark wasn't made about Bristol but her sister who is 14.

    I disagree. His intent was to joke about Bristol.
    He is a comedian, there is a lot worse being said about everyone from lots of other comedians, about race, women, you name it.

    I also agree his joke was about Bristol and that the joke was misguided. We need to get over it and move on to more important things.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlyarca wrote: »
    This is what I don't get. Letterman makes a stupid joke, and he is a misogynist who has to apologize. Sarah Silverman makes stupid jokes over and over again, and she's cute. Um, ok, whatever.

    I don't think she's cute when she makes a stupid joke. She looks just as stupid as all the rest of them.
    3b/c
  • jam6352jam6352 Posts: 99Registered Users
    Letterman made a misguided mistake. Big whoop. You don't see anyone falling over because of half the sh*t Glenn Beck says. I agree Palin used the situation to her own advantage which is sad. She should have defended her daughter and nothing else. Letterman apologized, what more does she want?
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

    Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion


  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    jam6352 wrote: »
    Letterman made a misguided mistake. Big whoop. You don't see anyone falling over because of half the sh*t Glenn Beck says. I agree Palin used the situation to her own advantage which is sad. She should have defended her daughter and nothing else. Letterman apologized, what more does she want?

    First off you quote one time here that Glenn Beck ever made nasty sex jokes about anyones kid and maybe then you have a point. I listened to both Mr. and Mrs. Palin defend their daughters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file