Just the slightest bit of volume is considered an afro these days

sevendaiissevendaiis Posts: 54Registered Users
So on the bus yesterday, this American girl that I live with pointed me out when she was asked if she had younger siblings, this is how it went:

Guy: Do you have any younger siblings?
American Girl that I live with: *points to me*
Another guy: But she's blonde and has curly hair (American Girl has straight brown hair)
Another Girl: Yeah its like *poof*
Guy: How is it *poof*?
Another girl: Its like an afro!
(They all turn around and look at me)

[The American Girl isn't actually my sister, she and her mum and sister moved to Australia live with us, but it looks like she considers me as her sister :tongue1:]

I was kinda annoyed, because this was on a day where my hair had less volume then usual. It was pretty much straight at the top, then curled loosely at the end. I thought it looked nice for a change!

Does this ever happen to you?
2c-3a :clown:
Last straighten: 27th Febuary 2010
Curly Since: 18th March 2010 (second time around)
Trying CG (properly) soon. Last year's attempt failed, provoking straightening.
I love Ballet! <3
:blob:

Comments

• CandycaneCandycane Posts: 291Registered Users
    i know what u mean---my hair has a bit of valume--not as much as id say other people with 3c hair would have but it has some. It grows out and down and is just past my shoulders when dry-n some how its an afro?

Dont get me wrong i dont hate afros-i think they are sexaaay--id just consider an afro something that grows up instead of down--someone can have 4a hair but if its down to their bra strap chances are...its not an afro.

I was in class about 2 weeks ago and my professor was telling us a story about when he was younger(mind you he is a 40 something year old white dude with straight hair) tells the entire class that his hair used to be exactly like mine. Said his hair only grew out n would never grow down...sorry but that is not my situation.

I think people already have it set in their minds that if hair has some sort of texture to it- that it grows a certain way or can only look a certain way forever. I think they need to come to nc.com n check out what a fro could look like 4 years from now.
  • Curly_SueCurly_Sue Posts: 1Registered Users
    :crybaby:Yeah i got jeered because of my curly hair!:sad:
    I was on bebo which is like facbook and i read a comment from a girl I thought I was okay friends with commenting to another one of my so called 'friends' about me...this is what thy said..angry9:angry9:

With her big fukn afro black,sticky out all over the shop hair,and her ****in WIERD hands that go BLEAGH all over your FACE..shed make yeh SICKKKKK like! Awh jesus..no one will have her at the coloney cuz she wont be able to meet anyone cuz her ****in hair is in the way....
    ..im jusrt thinking.. yno what we said to HIM, about being HER cousin.. that was obv her that read it! [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ihate them.The girl who said that about me actually has disgusting hair and i told her she would be better off with a wig!She straightens her hair so much that its full of split ends and is all falling out!This just happened yesterday and she couldnt evensay it to my face.I eat the face off her when I cAME INTO SCHOOL i eat the face off of her:)she was sorry then..mwaha!
  • sevendaiissevendaiis Posts: 54Registered Users
    Curly_Sue wrote: »
    I was on bebo which is like facbook and i read a comment from a girl I thought I was okay friends with commenting to another one of my so called 'friends' about me...this is what thy said..angry9:angry9:

With her big fukn afro black,sticky out all over the shop hair,and her ****in WIERD hands that go BLEAGH all over your FACE..shed make yeh SICKKKKK like! Awh jesus..no one will have her at the coloney cuz she wont be able to meet anyone cuz her ****in hair is in the way....
    ..im jusrt thinking.. yno what we said to HIM, about being HER cousin.. that was obv her that read it! [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ihate them.The girl who said that about me actually has disgusting hair and i told her she would be better off with a wig!She straightens her hair so much that its full of split ends and is all falling out!This just happened yesterday and she couldnt evensay it to my face.I eat the face off her when I cAME INTO SCHOOL i eat the face off of her:)she was sorry then..mwaha!

That's terrible! What a anus wipe!

At least you have enough confidence to let your hair do its natural thing, unlike that chick, who is ruining her hair by making it flat! (I personally think the flat-ironed look looks terrible) I bet she's just jealous!
    I love Ballet! <3
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users

It's people like that that have no lives (lol AND next to no hair). While she was saying that in her mind she would be thinking the exact opposite (with her flawless beautiful hair everyone will want to meet her at the coloney (sp?) and stuff like that) She just wants you to react so she will feel better about herself and that thing on her head she calls her hair. There are just some people out there wherever you go that are just not worth it.
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

• thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    my hair has lots of volume i mean major (i have to worry about my hair ties breaking my hair is so thick) i've been made fun of but some people think its cool like my bff loves to mess with it and some guys at my school were like your hair has a lot of volume (at which point i'm like oh great start insulting me) then to my surprise they said its really cool. There are people who will make fun of you (the jealous ones) people who will have fun with you (your friends) and those rare others who will just accept you (the people you want to be your friends):thumright:.
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    Oh, this annoys me as the rightful owner of an afro. It's aggravating from my side as well. I want my Afro to be acknowledged as special and it can't be when anyone who has the least bit of curl in their hair has an afro now. :sad5:

At some point people have forgotten an "afro" is a very specific shape. A round halo around your face, hair grows up and out and not down. This is usually type 4 hair (becuase of the shrinkage factor of extremely coiled hair, most type 4's hair doesn't hang until it reaches a very long length and sometimes not even then) but it CAN be approximated for 3's sometimes if they brush/pick their hair out. And I don't mind them claiming an afro AS LONG AS IT'S AN AFRO SHAPE. It cannot be flat on top. :angry4:

Who of the following has a fro?

BLK_4229.JPG
    scary_spice.jpg

wavy-hair-with-band-from-more-com.png

d5d5c_curly-hair.jpg

hayley_marie_main.jpg

esperanza_artist2.jpg

Correct answer:
    All but the last (Esperanza Spalding) do not have an afro. I put in in the lovely Hayley Marie Norman (second from last) becuase you might have been tempted to call her 4A hair an afro just becuase it is tightly curled and quite fabulously big. BUT you would have been wrong becuase her hair is slightly flat on top and clearly has a flat bottom edge. Which afros do not have.

And that was my rant for the day.
  • fabisebienfabisebien Posts: 76Registered Users
    well, I like volume, I just love the foxy curly hair looks, but my hair is wavy/curly and goes down:sad10:
    New Staples: As I Am: Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner and Leave-In Conditioner.
    Method For Styling: Rake and Shake. And Let Air Dry.

Bird! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ORIGINALLY_ELIORIGINALLY_ELI Posts: 1Registered Users
    I don't see what was so offensive in the conversation you had.

So what if they said you have an afro ? Do you think afro's are ugly ?

You know you don't and that's all that matters:sunny:
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users

i know the feeling. but whenever that happens to me i pull up a pic of my hair on a good day and post it on nc.com, because i know the ladies here appreciate curly hair and its an instant pick-me-up :D
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

• sevendaiissevendaiis Posts: 54Registered Users
    I don't see what was so offensive in the conversation you had.

So what if they said you have an afro ? Do you think afro's are ugly ?

You know you don't and that's all that matters:sunny:

Of course not!! The thing is though, the girl was quite obviously making fun of afros, and assumed everyone with curly hair has an 'afro', when like KinkyKeeper said, afros are special! I hope that she can tell the differenct between 2 type hair and 4 type hair, so I think she was just being ignorant! Afros are cool and unique! :love4:
    I love Ballet! <3
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    kinda off topic, but does anyone know where the word "afro" came from? is it short for anything???
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

• KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    tengoRizos wrote: »
    kinda off topic, but does anyone know where the word "afro" came from? is it short for anything???

African. Becuase many people of African/Black descent have hair that forms an afro naturally.

That's why it's so offensive when someone says "Ewww look it's an afro" or puts down afros. Becuase they are literally saying "Ewww, look it's African hair" or "I'm glad I don't have African/Black hair."
  • thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    So I don't have a true afro however I do get the half-fro, and I love it! Yes it may be frizzy, big, and totally awesome at the same time :happy3:(but i guess curly hair is just good like that):happy3:
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file