Growing hair out blues...help

hipchickhipchick Registered Users Posts: 350
I had gotten a bad haircut a few months ago and the new hairstylist I went to said to let it grow out for a few months and then come back for a cut when the many short layers grow out a bit.

It is now a few weeks before I would get a cut and my hair has totally lost its shape. I am embarrassed by how bad it looks.

Should I call the stylist and ask him to cut it earlier than he suggested and just wait another few weeks?

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    i would call him and ask if you can move up the appointment a couple of weeks.
    hang on, i know it is frustrating but you've already put soooo much time into waiting for this haircut, letting the bad cut grow out, it's worth it to just wait a little longer. trust me, i know carlos.
    can you put your hair back anyway? clips, headbands?? or, a large clip in back, like a flex8 clip, to push up back. if i were in your shoes (and i was a few years ago before my first haircut with carlos, he had also told me to wait several months -- weeelllll worth it!) and am now growing out gray hair.
    call him and see, then either way, white knuckle it :cyclopsani: the time will pass either way, at least in a little while you'll have a fabulous haircut. if you go to someone else, all the time you've put in growing it out is lost.
    good luck!!
    stay on nc talking -- we'll be your 'hair growing sponsors!' lol :hello1:

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • hipchickhipchick Registered Users Posts: 350
    Thanks rbb. I am going to try using some clips and different gels and I'll wait another few weeks and get my hair cut with Carlos. He really seems to know what he is talking about and I believe he will do a good job. I am just not used to walking around with unruly hair.
    hipchick, i think you are making the right decision to wait it out. you're almost there!
    if you keep your hair well moisturized it should not be unruly??? do you do deep conditioning treatments once a week?
    ah, here is a question -- does your hair seem worse? are you using the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]devacurl one condition[/buylink]? it is possible you have the new formula in the old label, and the new formula has guar hc in it which is very drying if left as a leave in. it totally made my hair disgusting after a week. i had to switch over to [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-One-Condition-p-467.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-one-condition]devaCARE one condition[/buylink] and my hair is back!
    i use heaven in hair or the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-One-Condition-p-467.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-one-condition]devaCare one condition[/buylink] once a week as a deep conditioner. i use the devacare one c as a rinse out/leave in.
    good luck!

rbb I don't deep condition and never have. How do you deep condition? I been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]devacurl one condition[/buylink] and I bet it is the new one which might explain my unmanagible hair. Mostly I use phytodefrisant because it lengthen the shorter sections of my hair that are a very awkward length now. On the longer sections of my hair I use aveda get curly.
    okay, try stopping the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]devacurl one c[/buylink] and use another conditioner. i use the devaCARE one c (orange one), your hair does not have to be colored to use it, many people find it very moisturizing.
    i think the best way to deep condition is to put the conditioner on DRY hair -- it will absorb much more -- then i put a shower cap over it and let it sit at least 20 minutes, up to 2 hours depending on what i am doing. i do this once a week. i often use the devaCARE one c as a deep conditioner. then i wet my hair, use it as a cowash, rinse, and add more for leave in.
    hopefully, these two steps will change your hair dramatically.
    let me know how it turns out!

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    rbb, I appreciate your posting about doing DT on dry hair (as in *not wet*). I usually use Terax Crema in the shower, but when I don't, I apply DT to dry hair as you mentioned. I was doing it that way because I was too lazy to do the extra step of wetting my hair down with shower or spritzer first, but I like that there may actually be a benefit to my hair by taking the easier way. :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    curls2grow wrote: »
    rbb, I appreciate your posting about doing DT on dry hair (as in *not wet*). I usually use Terax Crema in the shower, but when I don't, I apply DT to dry hair as you mentioned. I was doing it that way because I was too lazy to do the extra step of wetting my hair down with shower or spritzer first, but I like that there may actually be a benefit to my hair by taking the easier way. :)

carlos flores told me to do it on dry hair, and the woman who used to color my hair also told me the same thing, and i believe i read struttswife also saying that. i've been told that when hair is dry it absorbs more. of course, you can dt on wet hair, just better wet. and for me, more convenient on dry hair. i put in the conditioner and then do my chores, then shower and rinse it out.

HIPCHICK -- you might have to do a low poo to get rid of any guar hc that was in the one c, altho it is supposed to be water soluble. and, some people do not have trouble with guar hc; however, when used as a leave in it is very drying.

Thanks rbb. I am going to try doing a DT on dry hair and get [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One C[/buylink]. Do you use gel as well or just one c for hairstyling? The gels take soooo long to dry.
    hipchick -- i do use gel, either angell or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angell[/buylink]. i use about the size of a nickel on top and another nickel on bottom of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angell[/buylink]. if i use angell, i use a little bit more.
    i know i'm supposed to just scrunch it in, but that does not seem to work for me, so i work it through with my fingers. (after i leave some one c in).
    then, i squirt some set it free on top and bottom of hair, work that through, then scrunch, blot/scrunch with a curl ease towel.
    i mostly let my hair air dry, but it does take 3 hours!! (i'm lucky, i start work later but i also end later).
    if i need to get out earlier, after an hour i diffuse for a few minutes upside down, not touching my hair. i leave it damp, let it finish drying before i scrunch.
    curly hair takes a long time to dry with or without products unfortunately.
    depending on weather, i sometimes use very little gel, hardly any at all in drier weather. it all depends on your hair and the weather.

Thanks so much rbb!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file