Thinking about relaxing

PrettyPorcupinePrettyPorcupine Posts: 258Registered Users
I'm thinking about relaxing my hair. I've just had it with this mess. I'm considering the ORS No-Lye, which I used for spot-relaxing/softening with good results a year ago. This time I plan to go all the way straight, though.

My hair is in good condition and I am trying to grow it out but I can't stand it curly any longer. The other option would be blowdrying and flat-ironing once a week but the weather here is so damp (we get 90-degree humidity in summer) that it would definitely take some work to keep it straight. Still, I would prefer to do this if there were some good way to minimize the damage -- and yes, I KNOW that relaxing is even more damaging...hence my confusion...

OK, if you want to throw the pros and cons at me, go ahead. Or those of you who straighten regularly with a flat-iron, how are you keeping your hair healthy?
Modified CG. You'll pry my 'cones from my cold dead fingers! Mixed waves, coarse, below shoulder length, dark brown. I hate my hair :evil: but I'm trying to learn to accept it.

Gels: LA Looks Wet Look Styling Gel, Garnier Fructis Wet Shine Gel. Condish: Alberto V05 Free Me Fresia, Tresemme' Flawless Curls, LVPNG, Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Shampoo: Tresemme' Flawless Curls. Silicone Serum: Whatever is on sale, but I don't leave home without it.

Comments

• hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    Keratin treatments seem to be the latest and greatest in straightening and from what I hear, is not damaging (I've not had it done, so I don't know though!).

I've straightened my hair (I'll admit :) ) lots over the last few months and I use a straightening balm and serum - both from avon and my hair isn't damaged at all - no splits, etc. Using this straightening balm and serum, I don't even get the dry ends I did back when I was straightening my hair a few years ago.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • PrettyPorcupinePrettyPorcupine Posts: 258Registered Users
    for your reply...I'm still mulling it over :afro:
    Modified CG. You'll pry my 'cones from my cold dead fingers! Mixed waves, coarse, below shoulder length, dark brown. I hate my hair :evil: but I'm trying to learn to accept it.

Gels: LA Looks Wet Look Styling Gel, Garnier Fructis Wet Shine Gel. Condish: Alberto V05 Free Me Fresia, Tresemme' Flawless Curls, LVPNG, Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Shampoo: Tresemme' Flawless Curls. Silicone Serum: Whatever is on sale, but I don't leave home without it.
  • sortawickedsortawicked Posts: 11Registered Users
    Have you ever tried a CHI straightening iron? It works really well and it doesnt really take a long time.I am trying to go curly but I still love my chi and use it occasionally.

I did a relaxer a couple of years ago.My daughter was home and her boyfriend was over.The said come out and let us see it when you're done.

The directions said leave it in for 25 minutes. at 10 I noticed that when I ran the comb thru it the hairs were stretching like chewing gum. then they would break. then huge hunk where coming out in the comb! I jumped in the shower and washed it out but it was too late. I got out and combed it and hunks were still coming out and what wasnt breaking at the roots were fried like I'd been in a fire or still stretched like bubble gum.

I called my daughter and she started crying and saying " Oh my god momma, oh my god..." ( she was 17 and that was equivalent to a death in her world!) I said "hey calm down, its just hair! It'll grow back" I was actually laughing , I think I was in shock.

I knew it would take at least a year to regrow to where it was and in the meantime I had to go out and buy a buzz cutter. I have buzzed my hair before at times when I just couldnt deal with it being so huge and bushy and when the humidity and heat of Louisiana would drive me insane.

I was a bit more upset than I let on tho. My dream was to have enough hair to put into a pony tail and I had to start over.

I had to buzz it to 1/2 inch and there was a bald spot on the front all the way to the scalp. there was just nothing I could do about it. I had to go to work like that!

So my advice would be to get a chi and dont frak out and do anything drastic.

I feel your pain!
  • Finch00Finch00 Posts: 190Registered Users
    Wow sortawicked, that's horrible. My friend used the relaxer called "Just For Me", it's a children's one I guess. She has like...3c hair and it worked fine for her. I was thinking about using a relaxer because I live in rainy New England, and straightening usually doesn't last long. Also getting tired of fighting with my hair...it looks great with this no-poo thing but it takes like 6 hours to dry, 20 minutes to wash and style, and then once I go to bed I mess it all up.
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users
    My biggest concern when I see someone who says "I hate my hair," is that they're going to hate their hair regardless of what's done to it. Are you sure you won't hate it when it's straight all the time and it won't hold a curl? If you know you'll love it, go for it. If not, for something pretty doggone permanent, as relaxers are, I'd say wait.

I'm a natural 4a/b head, so I've got tight coils for days on my head. When I wear it straight, like I am this weekend, I deep condition, leave-in condish, and Sabino Moisture Block. Since you're cool with cones, you'd be cool with this (all silicone, no fillers). I use it when I rollerset my hair, and then very lightly when I flat iron it. My hair reverts pretty darn easily, but I can keep a style for around a week with SMB. I'm in NOVA, so the weather changes as it well pleases.

The BKT has also been a HUGE hit. More long lasting than the flat-ironing, without the permanence of the relaxer. If you want to go for long stretches at a time, I'd try that. Let us know what you decide.
    Thanks for the replies and recommendations!

The BKT is too expensive, out of the question. Also I've heard mixed reviews from people with my type of hair, making me doubly reluctant to try it.

I finally did it 'tho -- I relaxed. I used ORS Olive Oil No-Lye and the one thing I screwed up was leaving it in just a little too long. I didn't want my hair bone straight, just wanted to soften and loosen the curl (and lose frizz). I got all that but I also got some damage and had to chop off some particularly bad areas around my bangs leaving me with an uneven thatch of hair around my head. This was far from pretty, and coupled with the dryness and limpness of my hair, overall it was a pretty ugly phase...

Well, a month and two Aphogee treatments later, my hair is exactly how I wanted it. :cheers: I have no frizz and a loose curl, it's easy to style, and it just plain doesn't drive me crazy anymore. It's in good shape, no breakage, it feels smooth instead of coarse, and I'm very happy I stuck it out through the rough patch.

I know from experience that my hair reverts quickly so I will probably be curly again by the time Fall rolls around, but I'll have a carefree summer and that's what I wanted.

So overall, thumbs up!! :blob2:

I've had the same experience once with a bad relaxer -- just melted my hair off. It was horrifying!! And like you, I had to get a buzz cut that made me look like an escaped mental patient!! That made me reluctant to try again, but OTOH it was one bad experience out of several good ones so I went for it again.

One thing I've learned is to always leave it in for less time than they tell you -- I figure you can always go back and re-relax if it hasn't come out right but you can't get that melted hair back overnight!

• lit26lit26 Posts: 131Registered Users
    Maxiglide!! with john frieda heat treatment and chi silk infusion! if you have already tried then there is nothing more you can try because this combination is the best!!
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file