Traveling with my FSG?

GAgalGAgal Posts: 79Registered Users
I just made my first batch of FSG (Monday) and I am really loving it so far. I used the recipe that can be found in this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208&highlight=twice+fsg+flax+seed+gel

It was very easy to do and turned out great the first time. I am currently keeping it in the fridge as I did not purchase any type of preservative as of yet.

I am going on a week long trip soon, will be staying in hotels that may or may not have mini-fridges. If I take my FSG with and it is not refrigerated is it going to go bad on me? Do I need to go out and buy something to put in it (I will be making another batch before I go) and if so what is the least expensive and easiest preservative?

Just for a review as well, I am newly CG and first tried HETT Gel did not like it at all. Then I tried Aussie Tizz no Frizz - did not do much for me either. Then I decided to invest a little more and tried Deva Curl Angell. It is okay, but if there are any new curlies reading this I would recommend going straight to the FSG...it is easy to make and very economical and has worked the best of any of the products I have tried so far!

Comments

• dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    GAgal wrote: »
    I just made my first batch of FSG (Monday) and I am really loving it so far. I used the recipe that can be found in this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208&highlight=twice+fsg+flax+seed+gel

It was very easy to do and turned out great the first time. I am currently keeping it in the fridge as I did not purchase any type of preservative as of yet.

I am going on a week long trip soon, will be staying in hotels that may or may not have mini-fridges. If I take my FSG with and it is not refrigerated is it going to go bad on me? Do I need to go out and buy something to put in it (I will be making another batch before I go) and if so what is the least expensive and easiest preservative?

Just for a review as well, I am newly CG and first tried HETT Gel did not like it at all. Then I tried Aussie Tizz no Frizz - did not do much for me either. Then I decided to invest a little more and tried Deva Curl Angell. It is okay, but if there are any new curlies reading this I would recommend going straight to the FSG...it is easy to make and very economical and has worked the best of any of the products I have tried so far!

ditto on going straight to fsg! i tried garnier fructis hard curl gel, did nothing for me except frizz, crunch, and then my waves died-no hold. also some curl creams and etc. but fsg has done wonders for me!:wav:

you might want to try and look at this thread, some other's talk about using the EO's to preserve (thieves, or 1/2 tsp of grapefruit seed extract and a "pinch" of citric acid are good places to start. i think they list the amounts they used too.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=72611
    HTH
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I add a little citric acid and the EOs. Citric acid is cheap. You may be able to get it in health food store, a home brew store, etc. I've bought it online from a cheese making place and locally at an Indian grocery store. It has come up before--I posed the question in the google search bar and it's in this thread:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk
    /showthread.php?t=56068

Antiseptic EOs are: rose, clove, rosemary or lavender Use 3 drops per oz of liquid.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GAgalGAgal Posts: 79Registered Users
    Okay Kathy, thank you again for sharing your awesome knowledge! Now I did go read through the other thread you recommended, but I am wondering this...

Do I need the combo of the antiseptic EO's as well as the citric acid to help keep it from getting "yucky"? Do you think it is necessary or just a precaution? Not that I won't use them but I really am finding all this interesting and just wanna know...lol.

Also, if I got rose EO could I then use that to make my own rosewater spritz?

One of these days I am going to actually make it to the health food store in my area...so far I have found supplies at local grocers, etc. I have 3 & 4 year old boys that seem to grow extra hands anytime we go into a store with "lots" of stuff to grab (i.e. the health food store...) :blob3:
    Don't know if it's overkill or not. When I did FSG with nothing, it lasted four days outside of the refrigerator. Now, I do 1/2 t per cup of FSG along with the EOs (which act as fragrance and preservative.) It lasted at least two weeks this winter and so far this Spring (we've had a few days of hot weather.) I just happen to have a lot of that "stuff" around--maybe buy one for self keeping.

I don't know about the rose EO and rose water--there are websites that tell you how to make those kind of things. Don't have time to look this morning, but will try to think of it later.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That's okay about the rosewater...I just figured if you knew off the top of your head...I can take some time and look it up myself
    So I learned that rose oil is a by-product of making rose water...or vice versa...
    What about "Fruit Fresh" made by Ball...it is made to sprinkle on fresh cut fruit to keep it from browning.

Ingredients:
    Dextrose, (simple sugar?), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid (what I am looking for), Silicon Dioxide (Sand??)

Also has a statement under ingredients that says; Contains no sulfites...
    I would stick with regular citric acid, if you can find it. It's really cheap and doesn't have all that other stuff.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Yep... good old Fruit Fresh... pure citric acid powder. Alternatively, you can try crushing and dissoving some Vitamin C tablets.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    GAgal wrote: »
    So I learned that rose oil is a by-product of making rose water...or vice versa...

You may already know this since it is an old thread. :joker: But you can buy rosewater in the essential oil section of any health food store. It isn't that expensive. I believe it's around $5-$7.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file