Cover Girl lip stain

curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
Has anyone tried the Cover Girl lip stain? can't remember the exact name of it. It looks like a magic marker, and the idea is it puts a stain of color on, like a marker would. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how did you like it?
Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
LA Looks Sport Gel
Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    eeeeh, it was 'ok'.

My lips aren't super smooth and tend to be on the dry side (no matter what kind of conditioning treatments I try to put on) so the stain adhered more to some spots than others. Applying it directly after exfoliating my lips solved that problem pretty decently...

but it also doesn't seem to completely dry/stain on me either. It's better about wiping off than plain lipstick, don't get me wrong, but it still comes off a bit when my lips touch a napkin, straw, etc.

Basically, I use it for layering now. I'll put it on under a gloss or lipstick so that when the lipstick/gloss fades, there's still some color down. I can't wear it on its own though :/
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, the colors are limited and not at all true to that of the tube or of the "swatches" on the shelf. I could never find one I liked on me. The stain does stay on well, but it's dry - I needed a clear gloss on top of it. Since I already use CG Outlast lipcolor, I just used that topcoat and it worked well with the stain without breaking it down.

ETA: with the clear gloss over it, I didn't have any trouble with it coming off on cups, straws, etc. It also didn't look splotchy on me - like any of their long wear lipcolors, you have to quickly spread/smooth it on before it starts setting to get an even looking appearance.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got the nude & promptly gave it to a friend because it was too pinkish, I think, for me. BLEH
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    I got one and was disappointed that it actually wore off pretty quickly. Sephora used to make really good ones, but I don't see them on the website anymore. :hmph:
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If they're like their other Outlast lip colors, some colors just wear a lot better then others. You might try giving another color a chance, as long as you buy somewhere that you can return it.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lazy loops wrote: »
    I got the nude & promptly gave it to a friend because it was too pinkish, I think, for me. BLEH

I've bought 2 tubes and both times have been disappointed with the shade. The colors seem a lot pinker and brighter than on the tube and like auntnett stated, really not true to the tube color or swatch. I gave up trying to find a shade I liked because I didn't want to end up throwing away more money.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Magoo wrote: »
    lazy loops wrote: »

I've bought 2 tubes and both times have been disappointed with the shade. The colors seem a lot pinker and brighter than on the tube and like auntnett stated, really not true to the tube color or swatch. I gave up trying to find a shade I liked because I didn't want to end up throwing away more money.

And they wore off so fast!
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Interesting that no one else seems to like them. My lips are naturally quite dark (in comparison to my skin tone) so most stains don't show up on me. I got the darkest fuchia-pink one and really like it a lot. I found it lasted a few hours even after eating and drinking. So it's not an all day thing but easier than reapplying gloss every hour.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    i loved these things :) I'm like whatshercurl and I have very dark lips. They lasted a long time. I put gloss on top to moisturize, and it still stayed on most of the day.

the darker colors did seem to last longer. I really miss the sephora lip markers. urban decay had some great ones too. I guess that true "lip stains" are out of fashion right now.

On a side note, I tried the new Revlon colorstay ultimate lipcolor (that comes in a tube like lip gloss), and I much prefer it to the two step of a sticky tube of something and then a seperate lip glaze over the top to seal or moisturize or something.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file