Accutane and recurring acne and lavender

pinkapaloozapinkapalooza Registered Users Posts: 54
OK, So I was on Accutane about a year ago and almost completely finished the 6 months they recommended you should use it. I moved and switched dermatologists. The new derm said that I didn't have teenage acne (I was 21 at the time) and that I had hormonal acne and prescribed me spironolactone. Well since the Spir is a high blood pressure medicine, it lowered by blood pressure and had me passing out. Since I quit that, my acne has slowly begun to come back. My face is pretty much still clear (except for the occasional period pimple), but now I have acne on my arms and back. (Not severe, but still annoying- it is summer). I am quite upset about this because the Accutane was VERY expensive and I did it to complete rid myself of acne (which it temporarily did).

I was reading up on the properties of lavender essential oil and some people say it has helped them with acne. Has anyone tried this? I just ordered a CV soap bar that has lavender and rosemary in it- does anyone think this will help?
Medium/Coarse, Thick, Medium Porosity, 3B Hair
Wash: Suave Daily Clarifying- once a month
Co-wash: Vo5 Vanilla Mint Tea
Rinse out: 50:50 co-wash & Honey
Leave-in: Vo5
Gel: LaBella Level 10 hold

ACV rinses weekly
Pixie curling & air drying

Like to play with new products!

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Lavendar tends to be irritating to a lot of people, rather than acne-healing. If I were in your shoes, I'd try a good quality 10% benzoyl peroxide on the body acne.
  • pinkapaloozapinkapalooza Registered Users Posts: 54
    The only problem is I have literally tried TONS of acne treatments and pretty much nothing works. The acne isn't as severe as it used to be, but it is very stubborn.

ACV rinses weekly

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    The only problem is I have literally tried TONS of acne treatments and pretty much nothing works. The acne isn't as severe as it used to be, but it is very stubborn.

I feel your pain. Some people need more than one course of Accutane. If you don't/can't do another course of Accutane, you might want to ask the derm for an antibiotic Rx. All acne is "hormonal", so I don't know what your derm was telling you that there is somehow a difference between teenage acne and hormonal acne.
  • pinkapaloozapinkapalooza Registered Users Posts: 54
    Me either, I just took what he told me. lol I totally cannot afford to do accutane again and I probably wouldn't because I had some less than desirable health affects. I even tried birth control (which I used successfully back in high school and it cleared my acne) but it made me violently ill. I suppose I will just have to deal. Also I did try the antibiotic prescriptions which also made me sick.

ACV rinses weekly

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I have been using a lavender soap bar to wash my face and body (like the one kathymack sells) for several months. I have been off the acne antibiotics for about 1.5 months, and I'm still clear. I'd give it a try and see how it works for you (the soap). Good luck! I'll be 46 next month and was still getting cystic acne (gone now, hopefully for good).
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    try the 5% salicylic acid. something about that strength really does help my skin. bpo is good but just be careful with your clothes, towels and sheets because it can bleach them. also, is there anything in your diet that might be making your skin worse? are you taking a good multi and getting omega 3 and enough water and limiting your sugar?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • PigletPiglet Registered Users Posts: 1,451 Curl Neophyte
    I have some organic lavender oil and have recently starting using it. I'm still in two minds as to whether it's any good. My skin is so changeable, it's hard to know what to attribute any change to.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    so very off topic...

piglet,
    have you taken your vacation to the US? if so, did you enjoy yourself?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file