CurlTalk

How much do you spend on yourself?

superflycurlsuperflycurl Posts: 23Registered Users
How much do you spend on unecessary but nice things for yourself? I'm talking about meals out, trips to the beauty salon, books, CDs, DVDs, nice lingerie, hair products, whatever makes you tick.

I allow about $500 a month currently for the unecessary but nice things. At present that includes having a nice meal out with the girls at least once a week, getting weekly or biweekly massages, getting my eyebrows waxed, being a hair product junky, getting pedicures, buying a lot of books and hiring a cleaner for my apartment when really I could do it myself
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    more than I care to remember :lol:

Considering I'm a junkie when it comes to these things:

1. skincare products
    2. hair products
    3. makeup
    4. fabric

it can get pretty pricey and scary considering how easy it is to paypal.
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    I got myself a 1.50 shirt at a tag sale today.

because of my work I get myself some pampering (and products) cause its so cheap, if I wasnt working there, that wouldnt happen.

So I'd say probably 50-100 a month.
  • superflycurlsuperflycurl Posts: 23Registered Users
    Wow - $1.50 is a bargain! What is a tag sale? I haven't heard of this before.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would guess around $500. Up until two weeks ago, I was a stay at home mom and did a lot of impulse internet shopping. Now that I am working, I figure I will spend around the same amount but at least now I have an income to justify it.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Less than $100 on myself.
    I spend less than $500 a month total on me, groceries, household stuff, cigs, eating out, gas, clothes, etc.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i'm too poor to be able to spend money on luxury things. for me, eating out is a luxury (like wendy's) so i'll say $200.
    frau wrote:
    i'm too poor to be able to spend money on luxury things. for me, eating out is a luxury (like wendy's) so i'll say $200.

you'd need to eat a lot of Wendy's for it to add up to $200
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    Wow - $1.50 is a bargain! What is a tag sale? I haven't heard of this before.

tag sale? Yard sale? garage sale? same thing, different names
    so far, noone has admitted to spending $1k a month and up on themselves. I bet some of you do though! ;)
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Below $50, because we are poor starving students raising 3 kids LOL. Some months it is more than that, but certainly not every month.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Less than a hundred bucks a month. Most months I'd say less than $50.

My husband spends more on himself. :lol:

I'm trying to find a new freakin' job though. Once that happens I'll spend more. I REALLY hate not having extra $. It gets me down sometimes.

but usually I count my blessings and realize that while I may not be able to afford weekly pedicures or new clothes every month, I am extremely blessed and rich in other ways.

(Off my soapbox now. Sorry. :D )
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • Dee CurlzDee Curlz Posts: 123Registered Users
    Definitely less than $50. One of the curlies here is horrified that I spend so little on myself and thinks my marriage is in the crapper because of it! However, she'll be pleased to know that this season I did purchase several new articles of clothing and some fake gems to accessorize... and I feel great... broke, but great! :lol:
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    ... while I may not be able to afford weekly pedicures or new clothes every month, I am extremely blessed and rich in other ways...

Ditto :wink: I also give myself weekly pedicures, facials and manicures. Very cheap and I am still pampered LOL. I watch a chick flick while to do them :lol:
    PartyHair wrote:
    ... while I may not be able to afford weekly pedicures or new clothes every month, I am extremely blessed and rich in other ways...

Ditto :wink: I also give myself weekly pedicures, facials and manicures. Very cheap and I am still pampered LOL. I watch a chick flick while to do them :lol:

Atta girl!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    Today I bought a dress, a cute shirt and short pants..(not quite shorts and not quite pants..but not crops either....like long shorts...) some jewelry and some very cute shoes. All from Target and all together less than $100...and the dress made DH's jaw drop when he got home. :D I rarely dress up.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I'd say about 100-200 a month. Rarely more sometimes less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Meghuney wrote:
    Today I bought a dress, a cute shirt and short pants..(not quite shorts and not quite pants..but not crops either....like long shorts...) some jewelry and some very cute shoes. All from Target and all together less than $100...and the dress made DH's jaw drop when he got home. :D I rarely dress up.
    bananahump.gif
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Meghuney wrote:
    bananahump.gif

OMG :shock: that is one of the scariest smileys I've seen in a while. Is that what I think . . . oh never mind. :oops:
    dee dee wrote:
    Definitely less than $50. One of the curlies here is horrified that I spend so little on myself and thinks my marriage is in the crapper because of it! However, she'll be pleased to know that this season I did purchase several new articles of clothing and some fake gems to accessorize... and I feel great... broke, but great! :lol:

Meh. Don't listen to anyone else. If you're happy, you're happy. Sure it'd be great to be loaded, but in my opinion, it's better to love and be loved, and to have a great relationship.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    PartyHair wrote:
    dee dee wrote:

Meh. Don't listen to anyone else. If you're happy, you're happy. Sure it'd be great to be loaded, but in my opinion, it's better to love and be loved, and to have a great relationship.

They say that with the right relationship you'd happily live in poverty even. But somehow I'm not convinced. I think having a bit of money to play with smoothes everything over
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    I voted "below $100" though it's probably more like "below $50" usually..... with an expensive month now and then to bring the average up.

Mostly this involves buying clothes and hair products and makeup.... and I tend to get cheapies where those are concerned. I never go to the salon or get waxes or massages or manicures or anything like that. I rarely eat out, and when I do, the fanciest I generally get is, like, Max & Erma's. :lol: (Unless you count fast-food lunches I eat in my car on my break, and personally, I don't!)
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Below $50 here, but some months I splurge so it evens out.
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    On average around 200 give or take.

I just graduated from nursing school and I spent waaaay more than I should have a month on luxuries during school. Now I'm paying for it...credit card debt.

So I've officially put myself on a "spending freeze" until it's all paid off...no more tanning, no more waxing, no more expensive highlights and cuts, no more salon products, no more pedicures, no more shopping, no more eating out all the time. This stuff adds up!

It'll be fun to see how I do! I like to think of it as simplifying my life. :D
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    They say that with the right relationship you'd happily live in poverty even. But somehow I'm not convinced. I think having a bit of money to play with smoothes everything over

This is true. I don't know from a romantic perspective, but my last two years of high school my mom and I were dirt poor, and I was happier than I had been when our financial situation was quite different. You learn tricks to save money, and find ways to enjoy yourself.

The only danger to it is the lack of a safety net, and when you start being unable to afford the necessities. It's hard to be happy while you are hungry.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • goldilocks777goldilocks777 Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    Below $50. Such is the life of a graduate student :lol:
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I usually keep it around $50. We could afford to shop more, but I like having mulah in the bank! :lol:
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhmiklos" class="Popup
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    Less than a hundred bucks a month. Most months I'd say less than $50.

My husband spends more on himself. :lol:

I'm trying to find a new freakin' job though. Once that happens I'll spend more. I REALLY hate not having extra $. It gets me down sometimes.

but usually I count my blessings and realize that while I may not be able to afford weekly pedicures or new clothes every month, I am extremely blessed and rich in other ways.

(Off my soapbox now. Sorry. :D )

Amen!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    an average of $500. its usually on stupid stuff. and i always have an obsession. it used to be hair products. now its makeup. i just spent 200 at the mall today. i had planned to buy just ONE tube of lipstick