People watching at the gym

ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Do other people enjoy this as much as I do?

Of course there are the oddballs and the perfectionists who invite stares, but there's also the sheer fascination of watching how bodies of all types move: the tall, the short, the muscular, the heavy-set, the differently formed. And of course the young versus the old.

I love seeing how bodies of all types work.No matter their construction, everyone seems able to accomplish something.

It's inspiring.

(Note to self: don't wear big underpants, ever. Especially when over 60 years old.)

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I thought you were wondering if we enjoyed being watched not watching. :lol:

I have to say I put on my MP3 and barely notice anyone else in the gym. Except the odd time that another girl ventures into the freeweight room and knows what she's doing. I do notice that and am usually somewhat envious of her form, strength, etc.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ugh, no! I routinely embarrass myself by calling out answers to podcast quizzes and/or laughing at things I hear on my MP3 player.

If anyone is looking at me, it's due to my peculiarity. So I hope they're not.:rambo:
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Ugh, no! I routinely embarrass myself by calling out answers to podcast quizzes and/or laughing at things I hear on my MP3 player.
    If anyone is looking at me, it's due to my peculiarity. So I hope they're not.:rambo:

I'm bob my head to music while I'm stretching and I'm reasonably sure I sing out loud sometimes too. :laughing9:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

I'm bob my head to music while I'm stretching and I'm reasonably sure I sing out loud sometimes too. :laughing9:

It's really hard not to. I don't think it's worth it to hold it in. Someone has to provide the entertainment, right?
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I do each and every thing mentioned. I consistently have a concert going where I am the lead! Or I'm laughing all dumb-like at FHFU or some other podcast.

And I ALWAYS turn green with envy at the women in the freeweights. (well sometimes I'm not envious, I'm just admiring... :oops:

Ah... The gym. I should sign up again.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
    curlymix wrote: »
    I do each and every thing mentioned. I consistently have a concert going where I am the lead! Or I'm laughing all dumb-like at FHFU or some other podcast.

And I ALWAYS turn green with envy at the women in the freeweights. (well sometimes I'm not envious, I'm just admiring... :oops:

What is this? I'm always looking for new podcasts (aka new ways to embarrass myself in public).
    curlymix wrote: »

What is this? I'm always looking for new podcasts (aka new ways to embarrass myself in public).
    Frosty heidi and frank uncensored. They were on a talk radio station in LA that recently changed formats so they have a weekly podcast to keep themselves out there. I love them!

Www.Frostyheidiandfrank.com

They crack me up. Im always laughing inappropriately in public.

It gives me Sazon! Hehe... :)

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Can't say that I really watch other people. I usually totally get lost in my own little world. I hit the treadmill or eliptical and read and :walk:. I've had people standing right near me and they're talking and I didn't even notice them. :toothy3:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing6:

Ninja said "underpants."
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing8:
    Yeah, I am sure I am getting some laughs when I bust out with some Backstreet Boys tunes :oops:
    I love to people watch...period... :alien:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

wild~hair wrote: »
    :laughing6:

Ninja said "underpants."

BIG underpants. :laughing6:
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 860Registered Users Curl Novice
    It seems as though many of the people at the gym I go to WANT to be looked at. At any given time you'll see males and females alike on treadmills or ellipticals looking around the room the entire time as if they're trying to see if someone is looking at them. :roll:

Then there is an older woman I've seen on numerous occasions, wearing nothing but a sports bra and leggings like this thread - nothing more. :pukeleft: :puker: It's very obvious that she wants to put on a show because she hangs out in male-dominated areas and does numerous straight-leg-bending-at-the-waist "exercises".

Whereas I enjoy people watching, I dare not give my fellow gym-goers the attention they crave so I zone out w/ my iPod (and occasionally read).
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I used to go to a gym, I would people watch sometimes. But like Vegas, most of the time I'd keep my headphones on and listen to the Discman (I only recently gave in to the Ipod/mp3 player trend).

Reading and doing any sort of physical activity is difficult for me.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    I'm with you Ninja, it really is amazing to see others movin it. When I zumba, I like to watch how others find their groove with the moves. When I'm on the floor doing cardio, I usually just zone out and "read" (audio books) or listen to music. I do keep an eye on myself if there's a mirror close by, to make sure I'm keeping proper form.
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can't stand people-watching at the gym...yet another reason why I swim. So many of them seem so narcissistic. Look-at-me-I-wear-see-thru-spandex-and-turn-all-the-guys-on, or watch-my-sweaty-muscles-girls. :roll:

Then there is the endless talking. My idea of hell on earth is being stuck on a treadmill between two yentas who talk endlessly. Oy. Just because talking while exercising is a measure of where you are cardiovascularly, it doesn't mean you HAVE to talk continuously. Take a breath occasionally.

The pool, just 20 feet and a closed door removed from the treadmill madness, is a totally different experience. It's so peaceful and zenlike. There's hardly any talking, and even less people-watching. I can just swim and breathe and count and meditate.
    Underpants! BIG Underpants!

There --- I said it again.
    I can't stand people-watching at the gym...yet another reason why I swim. So many of them seem so narcissistic. Look-at-me-I-wear-see-thru-spandex-and-turn-all-the-guys-on, or watch-my-sweaty-muscles-girls. :roll:

Then there is the endless talking. My idea of hell on earth is being stuck on a treadmill between two yentas who talk endlessly. Oy. Just because talking while exercising is a measure of where you are cardiovascularly, it doesn't mean you HAVE to talk continuously. Take a breath occasionally.

The pool, just 20 feet and a closed door removed from the treadmill madness, is a totally different experience. It's so peaceful and zenlike. There's hardly any talking, and even less people-watching. I can just swim and breathe and count and meditate.

I find it more objective and less narcissistic than what you describe. Yesterday, for example, there was the pretty gazelle lady, who runs so gracefully, next to the older man who runs at a pace and with a facial expression like he's on the Bataan Death March.

It's like a happy parade of physicality.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I went to the gym & part of the reason I stopped going, it's part place to find a mate or meet up with friends & play high school clique, cavemen grunting & dropping weights, equipment not being wiped down & put away, people not abiding by the dress code showing off what they think they have like the gal with dimples in too small Daisy Duke's, & the occasional oddity like the 80's clothes guy, the guy who's all torso & moves like a robot & the unrelated guy & gal who seemed to have escaped from the mental ward.

I'll stick to bike riding & walking TYVM.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't been to a gym in ages. The only thing I'll do indoors is yoga, so the closest I come is the occasional yoga studio. If it's like most, there're no mirrors! I take off my glasses, blind as a bat, can't see a thing. Bliss!
    lazy loops wrote: »
    ... & the occasional oddity like the 80's clothes guy, ...

^^^ *LOL* My gym has one too! He still wears a full-blown mullet.

Every time I see him "Achey Breaky Heart" gets stuck in my head. :toothy3:

"Don't break my heart, my achey-breaky heart......":toothy3:
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I haven't been to a gym in ages. The only thing I'll do indoors is yoga, so the closest I come is the occasional yoga studio. If it's like most, there're no mirrors! I take off my glasses, blind as a bat, can't see a thing. Bliss!
    For a while, when i was going to the gym, I made a habit of going in glasses so that I can be totally blind and only concentrating on my workout.

it was bliss!

Groan! I did that stupid line dance! :oops:

But no, it's more like he thinks PJ material M.C. Hammer look pants are OK with "wife beater" shirts. :laughing1:
    I do think men dress more oddly than women do at the gym. Just yesterday there was an older man wearing bicycle shorts, though he had little muscle (or even fat) left to hold them up.....

It was an "oy" moment.
    I hope his shorts stayed up. That wouldn't have been too nice for him. :glasses3:

Ok, I did watch these two older people at the gym last weekend. A husband and wife were doing weights and I thought it was so sweet how the husband lifted first to show his wife how to and to make sure they weren't too heavy. They came up and introduced themselves - he was 82 and she was 79. Good for them. :thumbleft:
    That's sweet!

But no, it's more like he thinks PJ material M.C. Hammer look pants are OK with "wife beater" shirts. :laughing1:

This guy wears that stuff too. Looks like he just stepped off the set of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I wonder if he thinks I'm trying to flirt with him because he's caught me staring a couple of times.

But what he doesn't know is that I can't keep my eyes off of him in a bad-train-wreck-I-know-I-shouldn't-look kind of way.

Ninja, this is for you. :toothy10:
    First off, I want you to know, my DOG left the room when that song started playing.

Secondly, ARGH! The hair! The short jackets! The silver-tipped cowboy boots!

I'm.......blind. Help me........I.....I'm blind.

This guy wears that stuff too. Looks like he just stepped off the set of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I wonder if he thinks I'm trying to flirt with him because he's caught me staring a couple of times.

But what he doesn't know is that I can't keep my eyes off of him in a bad-train-wreck-I-know-I-shouldn't-look kind of way.

Exfreakingactly!!! You know you shouldn't stare, but damn! :toothy10:
    He is going to think you want him. Bad.

I think you could sneeze half a block away from some men, and they'll think, "She wants me."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file