Walgreens AVG

GAgalGAgal Posts: 79Registered Users
Maybe I should have posted this in product review--
but I want to use some AVG in homemade FSG and have been having trouble finding FOTE...couldn't find it at Walmart or a couple different grocery stores.

Anyway, I went ahead and bought Walgreens brand, "Alcohol Free, Fragrance Free" but want to make sure it is CG with nothing bad for my hair.

If anyone knows if any of the ingredients are bad, could you please respond? Thanks!

Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea.

Comments

• goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I'm not completely sure, but mostly sure, that everything after "aloe vera gel" is a preservative. I know Tocopheryl Acetate is vitamin E. Hydantoin and Diazolidinyl urea are both preservatives. Looked up "Triethanolamine" and its listed as a ph balancer. Carbomer is a thickening agent.

So, yeah, I think you're okay. Unless someone else knows something I don't?
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • shawnetteshawnette Posts: 482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Walgreen brand is the generic for FOTE. I think it even mentions it on the label or at least it used to. Walmart & Dollar General carry FOTE, but you have to look near the suntan products. Since it's summertime, Walmart has moved their sun stuff to the center aisle displays, so that might be why you can't find it. The Bed Bath & Beyond near me carries is for only $2.99 (20oz).
    Nappy is not an 'N' word.
    Photos:
    http://xrl.us/beauk7

Recipes:
    http://mixology101.ning.com/profile/shawnette
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Just a few points here - Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea.

Triethanolamine is an alchohol. Tcocopheryl Acetate is Vitamin E. Tetrasodium EDTA has some possibly serious health implications since it is skin abosorable and gets stored in - get this - your brain. Diazolidinyl Urea is and I'm quoting here "a formadehyde releaser". It's an antibacterial agent that releases formaldehyde aka embalming fluid and a known carconigen.
  • GAgalGAgal Posts: 79Registered Users
    Well thanks for all the input...though I did finally satisfy my quest to find an Aloe Vera plant - found one at Whole Foods yesterday, so I plan on using the the stuff straight from the plant from now on...I am happy about that!
  • GAgalGAgal Posts: 79Registered Users
    So I thought I was really hot stuff and had a "leaf" of my new aloe plant cut and ready to use as I made my latest batch of FSG.

Well - LOL - the aloe extract is not as easy to get out as I remember it being (thinking of using it on sunburns earlier in life) It is SO sticky - it was easy to use on skin cause you can just rub it on - but to get into something else I was finding almost impossible. All it did was stick all over my hands!

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there an easy way to extract the aloe from the plant?

I ended up using my Walgreens AVG again for now...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file