Flax Seed Gel -- what did I do wrong?!

sarita423sarita423 Posts: 14Registered Users
I made a batch of Flax Seed gel last week and it came out beautifully -- just 2 tbs flax seeds to 1 cup water, cooked approx 10 minutes and strained. It was perfect egg-whites consistancy and it made my hair beautiful! (Very little to no hold but I don't really want or need it. It makes my hair smooth, shiny and frizz-free.)

Lat night I tried to make another batch -- 2 cups water, approx 4 tbs flax seeds and a pinch of citric acid. I cooked and I cooked, boiled, simmered, boiled again. It never "set"! It stayed as liquid as water. I strained, let it sit, the cooked some more. I put it in a spray bottle this morning and spritzed, but it's not working like it does in gelatinous form. :-(

I've checked all the FSG threads before I made my first batch and have skimmed through them again. I really don't want to have to get thickener or add anything else to this ultra simple recipe that works well for me in its pure form. Sigh :sad8:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't know if this was the problem, I don't add the citric acid until after it cooks.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarita423sarita423 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I was wondering if that was it. I'm making a new batch tonight. I'll dilute it in a little water and add it to the strained gel and shake. Thanks!:)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just put the powder in along with anything else I'm adding and mix with my immersion blender. I do add xanthum gum, it makes it MUCH easier to use. It doesn't "slime" all over.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarita423sarita423 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Thanks. Pathetic as it sounds, I don't have a mixer or even a whisk, or a real kitchen for that matter (stupid NYC kitchen-less apartment).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file