Amazing Shampoo Bars!

pinkapaloozapinkapalooza Registered Users Posts: 54
So, I was researching about shampoo bars on a couple of posts on here and decided to give them a try. I fell in LOVE with them. I didn't really look for any products on here, but searched on Google for them. I ran across a company called Chagrin Valley Soaps and ordered two sample bars. They are an excellent company to deal with. The shipping was super fast (even using the slowest, cheapest method- company is in Ohio I believe). The bars are completely organic and they list all of the ingredients for each bar (in case of allergies). It completely cut down on my frizz and my dryness in my hair. They also have other wonderful products. I just ordered some others and can't wait to get them in!

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/index.html

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Medium/Coarse, Thick, Medium Porosity, 3B Hair
Wash: Suave Daily Clarifying- once a month
Co-wash: Vo5 Vanilla Mint Tea
Rinse out: 50:50 co-wash & Honey
Leave-in: Vo5
Gel: LaBella Level 10 hold

ACV rinses weekly
Pixie curling & air drying

Like to play with new products!

Comments

• mdwileygrlmdwileygrl Registered Users Posts: 89
    I use Chagrin Valley products all the time and love them! Lots of people here at nc.com use their shampoo bars - they are well known and loved around here! I have never tried a shampoo bar or soap bar of theirs I did not like. How can you not love a company who makes great products AND cares about the environment?!? Plus, I find their products to be quite reasonably priced considering how long the bars last, and as you mentioned the shipping is amazingly fast. LOVE CHAGRIN VALLEY!:happy10:
    Waist length spirals - 3a/b
    Fave co-wash: Suave Coconut
    Fave shampoo: Batia & Aleeza, Chagrin Valley shampoo bars (once every 2 weeks)
    Fave conditioner: Back to Basics green tea
    DT: Curl Junkie banana/hibiscus
    Styling: BotticelliBabe's gelee, brulee and butter - all natural and AWESOME!!!

• dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
    So, I was researching about shampoo bars on a couple of posts on here and decided to give them a try. I fell in LOVE with them. I didn't really look for any products on here, but searched on Google for them. I ran across a company called Chagrin Valley Soaps and ordered two sample bars. They are an excellent company to deal with. The shipping was super fast (even using the slowest, cheapest method- company is in Ohio I believe). The bars are completely organic and they list all of the ingredients for each bar (in case of allergies). It completely cut down on my frizz and my dryness in my hair. They also have other wonderful products. I just ordered some others and can't wait to get them in!

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/index.html

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Thanks for sharing! I have been trying to find some good high quality soaps and shampoo bars and I think this maybe it! Infact, I just ordered a big shipment because my mom and my sister wanted to order some too! I sure hope they work as good for me as they have been working for everyone else!
    I'll follow up with the results!
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Curl Neophyte
    Pink, what's your hair type? I tried Chagrin Valley and while I agree, they are great to deal with, cheap, and fast shipping, my hair did not like the shampoo bars. Too drying, and my hair frizzed as soon as I rinsed out my condish - while still wet. :(
    I really wanted to like them, too.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Pink, what's your hair type? I tried Chagrin Valley and while I agree, they are great to deal with, cheap, and fast shipping, my hair did not like the shampoo bars. Too drying, and my hair frizzed as soon as I rinsed out my condish - while still wet. :(

I had that experience with a CV bar--dry, tangled and frizzy. I think it's because they use castor oil in all of their soaps-- and my hair hates it. Now, I only buy soap without castor oil and don't have a problem.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curliemunicurliemuni Registered Users Posts: 3
    chagrin's neem and tea tree is seriously the best soap i've ever tried for my scalp. I've been plagued by itchy scalp since childhood. Head and shoulders type of products don't do squat for my problem.. and going CG doesn't help much (but still makes my hair *look* pretty :tongue5:) so if you have the same problem, I suggest giving this stuff a try!
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Registered Users Posts: 546 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the link have been looking for poo bars myself. Checked out the site and everything looks great all natural . Which ones did you try ?? I thought I would order samples of all the ones for dry hair. Will update after I try em.
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • pinkapaloozapinkapalooza Registered Users Posts: 54
    I have only tried the lavender spice and cafe moreno. I like the smell of the lavender spice and my hair seems to love it too. Not a fan of the cafe moreno bar, hence, my hair doesn't like it much either. Their soap bars are really good and moisturizing too. I really don't think it matters much which bar you choose, because they are all pretty moisturizing because of the oils and butters in them. I went mostly on smell, not on ingredients- I'm very particular about smells.

ACV rinses weekly

• DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    I have only tried the lavender spice and cafe moreno. I like the smell of the lavender spice and my hair seems to love it too. Not a fan of the cafe moreno bar, hence, my hair doesn't like it much either. Their soap bars are really good and moisturizing too. I really don't think it matters much which bar you choose, because they are all pretty moisturizing because of the oils and butters in them. I went mostly on smell, not on ingredients- I'm very particular about smells.
    pink did your hair recover from whatever was bothering it? I thought the Bars were giving you trouble? Or did the ACV end up helping you???

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=77660
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Well, after ordering struttswife's e-book, I figured out I might have needed a protein treatment. So I tried that out. I'm still having a frizz problem, but the shampoo bars help encourage curl in my hair, so I'm determined to make them work. I tried a lemon rinse today, didn't work out so well, apparently too much acid. A lot of the problem was I had product buildup. I used a clarifying shampoo, and had beautiful results after that. So, I have decided to use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month. I also need more emollients in my routine. Have any suggestions?

ACV rinses weekly

When I used the CV bars, I wasn't sure if the problem was the castor oil, avocado oil or shea butter. Avocado oil and shea butter don't saponify and leave residue on hair and skin. I ordered bars that didn't have any of those ingredients--and didn't have any issues (including the frizz.) So I added bars with shea butter and my hair loved it. Next I did shea and avocado oil and it was fine. Because of other issues I've had with castor oil, I didn't add that. You may want to try some bars without some of those ingredients to see if it cuts down on the frizz--especially the castor oil since so many of have issues with that.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    KathyMack, where do you get your shampoo bars? I tried CV and looked at the ingredients and they all have castor bean oil in it.

ACV rinses weekly

I'm also dying to try shea butter. Where do you get yours besides the bars?

ACV rinses weekly

I'm also dying to try shea butter. Where do you get yours besides the bars?

I bought East African shea butter on ebay last Fall. Just checked and the seller no longer has products listed. There are a lot of reputable places where you can buy shea butter--just search butters or oils.

I'll pm you about my soap bars.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    I also need more emollients in my routine. Have any suggestions?

I look for emollients too. Butters are emollient rich so Shea could be good for you. Cocoa Butter is lighter I like it better then Shea. Aloe, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Vegetable Glycerin acts as an emollient and Humectant, cetyl alcohol you'll find this ingred. in conditioners. Afro Detangler is amazing there's a thread in the Product Reviews. It's a huge jug but you can use it as a rinse out as well as a LI. I've been playing with a sample I got from KathyMac & I'm milking it until I get my jug so I haven't tried it as a rinse out. You should try some if you decide to get some soap bars. Look for butters and emollients such as the ones I mentioned with her bars, she has a lot of nice ones.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • mevluvmarkmevluvmark Registered Users Posts: 18
    I tried their shampoo bars before and they always left a residue (wax like coating) on my hair. Has anyone here experience this?
    mevluvmark wrote: »
    I tried their shampoo bars before and they always left a residue (wax like coating) on my hair. Has anyone here experience this?

It takes hair a few washes to get used to the bars. There is an waxy feeling that goes away with the ACV/rinse out following the use of the bar.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks kathymack, but i have a few questions for you. How often do you use the shampoo bars and are you suppose to use a vinegar rinse everytime you use the bars? For instance, if you use the bars twice a week and you use a vinegar rinse with each wash, will it make your hair dry with of all the acid being used?
    Thanks kathymack, but i have a few questions for you. How often do you use the shampoo bars and are you suppose to use a vinegar rinse everytime you use the bars? For instance, if you use the bars twice a week and you use a vinegar rinse with each wash, will it make your hair dry with of all the acid being used?

The purpose of the acid rinse is to restore the pH balance of your hair--soap is alkaline, hair is acid. I use the bars every three days and do an acid rinse each time (some don't.) I've used bars that way since 9/1/08 and haven't noticed any issues.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So, what is your recipe for the vinegar rinse? Hope i'm not asking too many question.
    So, what is your recipe for the vinegar rinse? Hope i'm not asking too many question.

I keep a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (organic) mixed in a spray bottle in the shower--10:1 mixture (water:AVC.) The sprayer helps control it, so it doesn't get in your eyes. I lather the bar in my hands, clean hair and scalp, rinse. Spray AVC rinse, add rinse out--rinse both out.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks, i went to your site.....thinking about ordering a sample of your seamollient. I have tried irish moss and loved it......the only thing is it smell so bad......so i was wondering if this seamollient will do the same as irish moss.

I think i'm gonna give those shampoo bars another try.
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    kathymack wrote: »

I keep a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (organic) mixed in a spray bottle in the shower--10:1 mixture (water:AVC.) The sprayer helps control it, so it doesn't get in your eyes. I lather the bar in my hands, clean hair and scalp, rinse. Spray AVC rinse, add rinse out--rinse both out.

Kathymack, I am going to have to try out your spray bottle trick. Do you find that with this proportion the vinegar smell is not as strong? TIA.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    curlykey wrote: »

Kathymack, I am going to have to try out your spray bottle trick. Do you find that with this proportion the vinegar smell is not as strong? TIA.

10:1 is actually a little stronger than 1 T per cup. I like the Bragg's much better than the grocery store AVC. When I first started using it, I noticed that my hair started to spiral in the shower. If you don't like the smell, you could use citric acid. The ratio is 1/8 t to 1 1/4 cup of water.

The porous ladies like the Dr. Bronner's Shikakai Rinse, it has a strong, fresh lemon scent. I found that it works for me if I put a minute amount in my rinse out. When I tested it it with the pH strip, it was more acidic than vinegar.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks, i went to your site.....thinking about ordering a sample of your seamollient. I have tried irish moss and loved it......the only thing is it smell so bad......so i was wondering if this seamollient will do the same as irish moss.

I think i'm gonna give those shampoo bars another try.

I've used marshmallow and burdock roots, but not irish moss. Seamollient doesn't have any smell.

I only used the CV bars once--it left my hair dry and frizzy. There are many of us who have had those types of problems with them. You may want to be cautious about using them again--IMHO.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I looked on your site.......you have alot of soaps to pick from....so which one would you recommend for me.....my hair is 4a, med/fine, highly porous, my volume is on the thin side. I don't if this is possible when it come to soaps, is there one that will help with defining your curls. One more thing my hair is dry of coarse, lol :o).
    I looked on your site.......you have alot of soaps to pick from....so which one would you recommend for me.....my hair is 4a, med/fine, highly porous, my volume is on the thin side. I don't if this is possible when it come to soaps, is there one that will help with defining your curls. One more thing my hair is dry of coarse, lol :o).

I'll pm you.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alsaxonalsaxon Registered Users Posts: 734

I had that experience with a CV bar--dry, tangled and frizzy. I think it's because they use castor oil in all of their soaps-- and my hair hates it. Now, I only buy soap without castor oil and don't have a problem.

I wonder if that could be the problem I am having, but what the h*** is causing the waxy feel.
    Album: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q165/alsaxon/Hair/

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    alsaxon wrote: »

I wonder if that could be the problem I am having, but what the h*** is causing the waxy feel.

It does take hair a few uses to get acclimated to the soap/shampoo bars. The "waxy" feeling lessons over time. I do an acid rinse and rinse out conditioner--and it totally goes away.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I do the bars every three days. The purpose of the acid rinse is to restore the pH balance of your hair. There are some who don't do it. I have done this twice a week with no issues. I use a ratio of 1:10. The ACV I use is Bragg's ACV, it's an organic one I buy at the health food store. I keep a spray bottle mixed in the shower. Spraying keeps it out of your eyes. I also use less.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alsaxonalsaxon Registered Users Posts: 734
    alsaxon wrote: »

It does take hair a few uses to get acclimated to the soap/shampoo bars. The "waxy" feeling lessons over time. I do an acid rinse and rinse out conditioner--and it totally goes away.

I thought my rinse out conditioner was taking the waxy feeling away but I discovered it wasn't. Here is what i did. I detangled my hair thoroughly because it was a hot tangled mess because of the bar. I washed with the bar again to see if it would tangle up and it did. So I followed with conditioner which seemed to get rid of the feeling. So the true test was to wash the conditioner away with my regular shampoo and I'll be damned if the waxy feeling did not come back. I know my regular shampoo never left a waxy feeling on my hair. So I think the bar is not truly being rinsed away.
    Album: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q165/alsaxon/Hair/

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file