Gel - Use How Often?

GaelicurlGaelicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
Hi all -- I'm new to the site as a registered member, but have been reading on here for a while and finally made the decision to try out no-pooing and CO for washing. I'm pretty sure I'm a 3b -- my hair is long, to my lower back, and is very fine, very thick, and the curls are spirals.

Anyhow, so yesterday I started the new regimen. I washed my hair first with a clarifying shampoo to remove any buildups, then washed again with Creme of Nature, and used Suave Citrus Smoothie condish as my leave-in. I never towel dry, just wrap my hair up in a towel for about 5 minutes, so did that, then combed with a wide tooth comb to remove tangles, and applied Dove Define & Shine gel.

The results were terrific! It took hours for my hair to air dry, but the curl definition and reduction of fly-aways and frizz is definitely noticeable, and my hair has improved body.

I don't pineapple at night, I just toss my hair up above my head over the pillow, don't get any underhair tangles from this. Today my hair looks as great as it did last evening.

My question is, do most people apply gel again each day to maintain curl definition and frizz reduction? I have no experience with gel at all. I realize everyone's hair is different and that I will probably need to experiment, but am just wondering if gel application is usually done daily or at least several times between washes?
3b -- long (about 4 inches above waist in back)

Cream of Nature - shampoo once a week
Suave Citrus Smoothie or Milk & Honey leave-in
Dove Define & Shine Gel

(Air dry and don't pineapple)

Comments

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. I only apply gel after I wash. With the BRHG, I can usually get a good 3-4 days out of one application. When it gets frizzy and there's no longer any smoothing it out with a bottle of conditioner+water, then i ponytail it and wash the next day, then re-apply my gel. Usually, between applications, I can smoothe out my curls with the conditioner+water. I just got a spray bottle, filled it almost full of water and squirted in some of my Devacurl OneC until it smelled good enough to me, then shook it up!
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • GaelicurlGaelicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks, curlyjenn -- I'll try it that way and see how it goes. I had made up a spritz bottle of mixed condish and water already (but my mix is about 1/4 condish ... hmmm, might be too much ... maybe I'll divide that mixture in half in 2 bottles and add more water) that I figured to use, I guess I'll wait then until I see the curls looking raggedy or fuzzy and spritz and see what happens.

By the way, I have to share -- while I was out shopping this afternoon, a clerk at the cash register absolutely GUSHED over my hair!! She said "You have the most beautiful curls!" I was just so thrilled, because I really cannot remember the last time I was complimented on my hair, especially by a total stranger. Turns out her boyfriend has curly hair, and she said that if I had any secrets, she'd sure like to hear them to pass on to him. So I shared about no-pooing, and also gave the URL for this site.

So it's WORKING!!!

Dove Define & Shine Gel

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    YAY for you! I'm glad it's working! It's just so nice to hear that other people like your hair, isn't it??
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • GaelicurlGaelicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yes, it really is nice to hear! I've had comments like "You have a LOT of hair", but that's not necessarily a compliment, if you know what I mean. When I was a kid, other kids pointed and laughed, so -- like so many here -- I went a whole lot of years blowing my hair out straight and fighting every day to keep it that way.

Dove Define & Shine Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file