Henna highlights/lowlights?

Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
Is it possible to do highlights/lowlights using henna?
Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
Rinse:
ACV rinse
Detangler/Conditioner:
Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd say it's totally possible, but probably not the easiest thing in the world.

The consistency of henna doesn't lend itself to being very versatile, at least in my experience. The thought of trying to control where it's going and keeping it confined to certain strips.... oy. no thanks lol. I have a hard time just putting it on my roots though...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Hmm....I really don't want to dye all my hair, I just want highlights or lowlights. I might just need to dye all my hair to get a feel for it and then maybe attempt to highlight/lowlight my hair (actually, my sister would do it).

On another note, is it terribly moisturizing? I read somewhere it is moisturizing and my hair can only tolerate so much moisture
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    I just thought of something. Would it work if I use one of those caps that you pull the hair you want to color through the holes?
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

the cap would probably be your best bet, I think.

It's just that henna is so thick/heavy/muddy, it's hard to control unless you have the hair separated. I didn't think about those caps, but that would probably be a really good solution.

As for moisture... eh. On me, it's a little drying. I usually have to DT immediately after henna-ing. I thought at first it was because I used some lemon juice in the mix, but I took that out the second time around and it was still kind of drying.

All depends on your hair, I guess. Everyone's different.
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Yeah, it does look like it would be kind of hard to control even with a highlighting cap.
    I guess I will just have to see whether it is drying on me or not.
    Does it have any effect on curly hair, such as not as curly after doing a henna?
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

i think thats another case of everyone being different. My hair's usually SLIGHTLY less perky immediately after. But once i get some moisture in it, it perks back up and goes back to normal.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Hair color usually relaxes curl slightly but if you will give it a few days of NO WATER and TCL afterward, it should spring back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file