Anyone have any feedback on using Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) as a preservative?

riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I want to know if any of you have found out whether or not not GSE is an effective preservative in homemade sprays. If you have tried it, how long did your product last? How did you know if/when it went bad?

I made one by combining 2 of the recipies from the Live Curly, Live Free site, the detangler and the Lavender spray. I added some agave nectar because my hair loves it so.

I made 2 cups worth of the spray and I added about 40 drops of GSE to it. The main spray will live in my my fridge, but I poured some of it in a 3oz bottle to keep in my bathroom. I need to know if this is at all a safe practice.
Have several allergies and sensitivities.
Current products
Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.

Comments

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been using GSE as a preservative ever since I made my foray into homemade FSG. I think it works pretty well; case in point, my previous batch amounted to about two 8 oz. and two 4 oz. bottles. I used up my 4 ouncers and one 8 oz. and then promptly started experimenting with other gels in my stash.

About a month later and after three weeks of crappy hair, I discover my last bottle of FSG in the fridge. It still smelled alright and didn't have any icky looking spots so I used it the next morning and my hair reminded me of why I like FSG so much. :toothy10:
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used citric acid, Vit E and antiseptic EOs to extend the life of my FSG. I'm looking into a fairly new, natural preservative called Tinosan SDC Natural Preservative. It's supposed to be used in combination with Potassium Sorbate. Here's the link for the two at texasnaturalsupply:

http://shop.texasnaturalsupply.ieasysite.com/category.aspx?categoryID=25

Seems like it might be interesting to try.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, I might look into those.

Oh how I wish the Curl Junkie hadn't been so drying. It was easier to just use something ready made than trying to make my own.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been using it in my FSG and haven't had a batch go bad yet. I don't keep it in the fridge, just on the counter in my bathroom
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    likethegum wrote: »
    I've been using it in my FSG and haven't had a batch go bad yet. I don't keep it in the fridge, just on the counter in my bathroom

how much do you use per batch?
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file