CurlTalk

Bare Minerals (Poll Included)

RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
Anyone tried this makeup?? Is it as good as they make it out to be on the commercials.. swirl, tap, buff away fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, blah blah :D

How expensive is it??
DPTFm5.png
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    LOVE IT! It's better than they make it out to be on the commercials. It feels like nothing on your face and the coverage is flawless!

I bought the starter kit at www.sephora.com . I think it's about 50 bucks for the kit.

I'll get you a link............
    I was wrong......it's $60...... starter kit
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Peppy, so it covers as well as regular stuff? I'm just 22 and I still get the occassional, or more than occassional zit, especially at "that time"... And my skin is pretty uneven. I have never had good skin; no one in my family has good skin, so i feel blessed to have it as decent as it is. I hate the feeling of a lot of makeup but I also hate to look all splotchy :(

$60 is quite a bit though, for me. I'm a covergirl type of girl. I may have to check it out and splurge a bit though!!

Thanks for the link :D
    DPTFm5.png
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Love mineral makeup and have been using it for years. BE was too expensive for my taste so I buy a cheaper brand on Ebay.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    Peppy, so it covers as well as regular stuff? I'm just 22 and I still get the occassional, or more than occassional zit, especially at "that time"... And my skin is pretty uneven.

I used to get a monthly zit too. I haven't had one since I started using BE in February. No, it doesn't cover as well as other stuff....it covers better!

I thought it was pricey too until I saw how long it lasts. I still have the same kit I bought in February. I would say I have almost half the foundation left (maybe a little less) and I did have to buy more mineral veil. The mineral veil I bought was $19 but ounce-wise it's 4 times larger than the one that came in the kit. It will be a while before I have to spend more money. I think it's worth it.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Hey, jeep, what's the cheaper brand? because the day I spend that kind of $$ on makeup is...well, it's the day AFTER I win the lotto. :D

but I do want to try a mineral type makeup, so if you can recommend another brand, that would rock.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Peppy wrote:
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    Peppy, so it covers as well as regular stuff? I'm just 22 and I still get the occassional, or more than occassional zit, especially at "that time"... And my skin is pretty uneven.

I used to get a monthly zit too. I haven't had one since I started using BE in February. No, it doesn't cover as well as other stuff....it covers better!

I thought it was pricey too until I saw how long it lasts. I still have the same kit I bought in February. I would say I have almost half the foundation left (maybe a little less) and I did have to buy more mineral veil. The mineral veil I bought was $19 but ounce-wise it's 4 times larger than the one that came in the kit. It will be a while before I have to spend more money. I think it's worth it.

Well I wish mine was just one zit. I almost always have one going :) As soon as the little **** dies, I get another! LOL... I hate it. I used to have pretty bad acne though so I'm not gonna complain cause it's better than it used to be!! I get a lot more at that time. Ugh.

So makeup that helps your skin, covers better and doesn't have all that crap in it. Definitely have to check this out further :)

Thanks a lot for the input.

And I agree, what's the cheaper brand?
    DPTFm5.png
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    I haven't used any of the foundations, but the Mineral Veil was excellent, even with my usual foundation. I also really like the blush I use, it's the best color for my skin that I've found.
    It's too pricey for me, which is why I don't buy it. Every few months I get an Ulta flyer with a 20% discount coupon.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    I've got Bare Minerals powder foundation, blushes, and eye shadows. They all work well. BUT -

I wanted a mineral powder in a more pressed format to carry in my purse. So I bought some Physicians Formula mineral foundation and I gotta say I LOVE it. I think the coverage is more even than Bare Essencuals and it's half the price.

I wish Leslie (founder of BE) would loosen up a bit and make a pressed powder.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PartyHair wrote:
    Hey, jeep, what's the cheaper brand? because the day I spend that kind of $$ on makeup is...well, it's the day AFTER I win the lotto. :D

but I do want to try a mineral type makeup, so if you can recommend another brand, that would rock.
    PH, I use Aromaleigh mineral makeup. I actually like it a lot better because it doesn't make my skin itch like crazy and it doesn't need to be buffed into the skin as much (no bismuth whatever in it). It's also ony $14 and lasts much longer than BE. They have normal/dry and normal/oily formulas and about 4 times as many shades. I've been very pleased.

I get it at www.aromaleigh.com.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    partyhair
    If you go to ebay and search mineral makeup you'll see a bunch of different brands and most sell small samples to try. The kind I've used is by this seller (just do an advanced search by seller) snowmandce.
    They supposedly make their own and the makeup is free of talc, rice flour, fillers,cornstarch, fragrance, wax, chemicals and bismuth oxychloride

godgivenperm
    I also like the pressed makeup for travelling. I bought some on ebay that I really liked but I just looked and there isn't anyof that brand on there right now. There are 2 or 3 other brands on ther tho. I've heard good things about the Jane Iredale brand.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    im sorry, i cant spend that much or my money on BE. i use Everyday minerals. you can buy samples for them free but shipping is like 4 bucks. ive samples twice now. yes, coverage is great. none of their blushes look good on me though so i stick with NARS on that one
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I love BE. I don’t need much coverage, just something to even out my skin tone a bit. I use the foundation and the Bisque, which is great at concealing under eye circles (I get them when my allergies are raging) or the occasional zit. It is expensive, but a little $25 tub of the foundation lasts me about a year.

I stocked up a while ago, before I knew all of these cheaper mineral make-ups were out there. When I eventually run out, I will probably check out a few of them to compare them with BE.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I really like BE but I have to admit that I found a better liquid foundation for myself that I've been using in place of it for a couple of months now. I still use the Mineral Veil every day though.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • Sweet CurlySweet Curly Posts: 32Registered Users
    I loved the way it looked on my face but can't use it because I'm allergic to the filler they use. Makes my face all itchy!! I was bummed too because it was really great looking.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    I use it off and on. It gives decent coverage ( I don't need much just a few spots here and there) and it very light/comfortable to wear. It will last a long time if you use it right.

What I don't like? it seems to settle in my fine lines, so it's not good around my eyes (forget using it as an undereye concealer!) and on my forhead where I've got my some lines thanks to heredity :? ) It can also emphasize large pores and gives your skin a sheen, which if you're prone oily skin can be a bad thing. The good news is that the Mineral Veil does a great job and getting rid of the shine.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    I guess I'm the only one who voted HATED IT. Not only did I not have the desire to mix a bunch of colors to find my correct one (the colors I used made my face look ruddy). I also didn't like all the sparlklies. I felt like I was some 16-year old going to prom or something. :?
  • MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
    One of the major make-up brands has come out with a minerals powder-I can't remember who though!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    Mar wrote:
    One of the major make-up brands has come out with a minerals powder-I can't remember who though!

I think it's L'oreal.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    Meghuney wrote:
    I guess I'm the only one who voted HATED IT. Not only did I not have the desire to mix a bunch of colors to find my correct one (the colors I used made my face look ruddy). I also didn't like all the sparlklies. I felt like I was some 16-year old going to prom or something. :?

Weird. My foundation certainly isn't sparkly.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
    Poppers and Jeep, thanks for the recs! I'm going to check them out. :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I like BE and it's one of the few brands I don't have to mix colors to get the right shade. I used to use aromaleigh but although a great product I couldn't get the perfect match.

I am going to try a sample of the Everyday Minerals when I'm done with my BE just for curiosity's sake. I'm not a big brand loyalist - as long as I can get a perfect match and the stuff feels good I buy it. I've mentioned this a million times but lately I've been putting a dollop of sunscreen on my finger and dipping that into the minerals then smoothing over my face. I can even skip the MV when I do this.

Also, I think mazey mentioned this a while back and it made a very marked difference in my own results - be sure to buff for a full 2 minutes. By the time you're done buffing the makeup isn't just sitting on your skin ,it's completely blended.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Another plug for Everyday Minerals. Love the finishing powder. Reasonably priced. Looking at the ingredients in BE, I can't justify spending the $....

I've tried several different brushes, & buffing really irritates my skin. I use my fingers.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    mazey wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

Weird. My foundation certainly isn't sparkly.

I wonder if I'm thinking of another mineral foundation.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Meghuney wrote:
    Mar wrote:

I think it's L'oreal.

Also Neutrogena.
    I just ordered samples of the Everyday Minerals. They were free; shipping isn't. But it's only $3.37 or something like that.

We shall see.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    be sure to buff for a full 2 minutes. By the time you're done buffing the makeup isn't just sitting on your skin ,it's completely blended.

Just like when the recipe calls for you to beat the cake batter for two minutes - they really mean it! :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • LisaAnnLisaAnn Posts: 436Registered Users
    I've got Bare Minerals powder foundation, blushes, and eye shadows. They all work well. BUT -

I wanted a mineral powder in a more pressed format to carry in my purse. So I bought some Physicians Formula mineral foundation and I gotta say I LOVE it. I think the coverage is more even than Bare Essencuals and it's half the price.

I wish Leslie (founder of BE) would loosen up a bit and make a pressed powder.

Hmm I am going to have to give that PF a try. Thanks for the rec.
    I got my sample of Everyday Minerals this weekend, and I've worn it twice. I like it, but it plays hell with my contacts! Geez!

Also, my skintone is not "medium" but that's the shade that works for me - the two lighter shades are just too light, which is odd. Although it is summer and I do get some sun just by walking around in the south Texas sun.

The blush I got is GORGEOUS, and I hate blush, normally. But this just looks great on me, if I do say so myself. It's called Chitchat.

I got the Medium foundation in semi-matte, which I don't like. If I decide to order a regular size, I'll order the matte finish.

I'm just using my regular makeup brushes and they're working fine. But you do really have to buff the foundation into your skin, rather than just applying it like you would a regular loose powder.

I'll probably order the foundation and the finishing powder.

Anyone else get free samples or anything?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    PartyHair wrote:
    I got my sample of Everyday Minerals this weekend, and I've worn it twice. I like it, but it plays hell with my contacts! Geez!

Also, my skintone is not "medium" but that's the shade that works for me - the two lighter shades are just too light, which is odd. Although it is summer and I do get some sun just by walking around in the south Texas sun.

The blush I got is GORGEOUS, and I hate blush, normally. But this just looks great on me, if I do say so myself. It's called Chitchat.

I got the Medium foundation in semi-matte, which I don't like. If I decide to order a regular size, I'll order the matte finish.

I'm just using my regular makeup brushes and they're working fine. But you do really have to buff the foundation into your skin, rather than just applying it like you would a regular loose powder.

I'll probably order the foundation and the finishing powder.

Anyone else get free samples or anything?

Hey! Did you get the samples for free then? I'll have to read back over this thread, but was there a link for that here... Hmmm.. I forgot! :D
    DPTFm5.png