CurlTalk

4A Hair with tiny knots on the ends!

NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
Is anyone else experiencing tiny knots at the ends of your curls? :sad11: I just had a "dusting" trim of my curls to eradicate any split ends that I had but now I am finding single strand, tiny knots at the end of some of my curls. :banghead: I can't get the knots out (obviously) without losing the ends. Does anyone know what would cause this or is this a symptom of spiral curls? Any information or advice would be appreciated!
:read2:
BC'ed - Jan 09
Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
Porosity: Low
Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    Unfortunately it is very common. I get the ALL THE TIME.

I am noticing less of them since I started sealing my ends with castor oil during my twist/braid set.

Search for single strand knots and ssks.
  • krazykkrazyk Posts: 243Registered Users
    I have that quite a bit too. Usually it's from the strand curling onto itself and forming knots, especially if you wear your hair out a lot. I usually resort to more frequent detanglings (twice a week no less) and setting my hair in twists or braids to keep the strands from being allowed to go astray.

hth and please let me know what you find.
    :icescream:Confusion in the front/4a in the back and around the sides
    Transitioning Natural since March 2005
    Complete natural (Last of permed hair trimmed out) May 2008 (1 1/2 inches left)

Regimen:
    Co-Wash: (Anything on hand atm)
    Leave ins: Aussie Moist
    Shampoo: Aussie Moist (only if I end up using gel or something out of the ordinary)
    Keeping it krazy simple:toothy7:

My hair history:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Fkris_journeyofhair" class="Popup
    Pw: krazyk
  • CurlySista21CurlySista21 Posts: 87Registered Users
    I experience this all the time. Its annoying also, becuase as you said the only way to get rid of the knot at the end is to trim it. I normally get so frustrated that I just pull the entire strand out of my head, crazy I know.
    Naturally me and Relaxer free!
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    Ha! I thought I was the only one!

Yeah, I get these teeny tiny knots on some of my ends--when my hair sheds they get trapped in the knots! It is frustrating...my style is my afro--I rarely do twists or braids so that could be why.

Detangling helps...some. *shrug* My hair needs a trim anyways.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    I have the same problem too. Here's another thread about it.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • CurlLeeCurlLee Posts: 221Registered Users
    TK* wrote: »
    Ha! I thought I was the only one!

Yeah, I get these teeny tiny knots on some of my ends--when my hair sheds they get trapped in the knots! It is frustrating...my style is my afro--I rarely do twists or braids so that could be why.

Detangling helps...some. *shrug* My hair needs a trim anyways.

same here...
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
  • mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    It is because of the tight curls. I have actually watched my hair do one (it was looped over) while I was combing. I have them EVERYWHERE::goofy: so I accept them. I'm not going to trim my hair constantly to get rid of them cuz I don't think they are particularly bad. Now when I decide to flat iron I may be singing a different tune but for now I'm more concerned with split ends than single strand knots. HTH some.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do
  • msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    it aggrivates the hell out of me as well.. I have fine strands that love to hug... I just cut off about 1.5 inches W/ in the last 2 weeks
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    Thank you Ladies! I thought I was doing something to cause these! I have started sealing my ends per Kinky Rhonnie (thanks!) with an Indian oil called Nyle Hebal Hair Oil. I'm not going to trim them anymore and just see how long I can get away with it so that I retain my length. I'll keep looking and keep you posted on anything that I find that helps.
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • QTPieQTPie Posts: 3Registered Users
    Pixie knots are just part of the 4a hair game. I hate them, but I have given up trying to figure out how to prevent them. I've tried everything from wearing my hair stretched regularly, detangling more often, to literally wearing my hair almost straight most of the time. I'm done fretting over it.
  • GradlyGradly Posts: 64Registered Users
    I get these all the time...it's very annoying. I will try all of these suggestions and see what happens.
    Recently combed out locs...relearning my hair.

***Looking for wedding hair styles***

:blob7: Wedding Celebration Date: 7/4/09 :blob7:
    :happy10: Legally Married in California: 8/22/08 :happy10:
  • msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    QTPie wrote: »
    Pixie knots are just part of the 4a hair game. I hate them, but I have given up trying to figure out how to prevent them. I've tried everything from wearing my hair stretched regularly, detangling more often, to literally wearing my hair almost straight most of the time. I'm done fretting over it.
    Im about to take that same approach.. my hair grows at a decent rate, but I cut the ish off as fast as it grows
  • lajoliefillelajoliefille Posts: 350Registered Users
    Yup, getting those little buggers just come with the territory. And honestly they are that bad, the only time you should feel the need to trim them off is if they make more difficult for you to detangle.
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2007
    BC: Feb. 28 2009 :afro::hello1:

What do hair typing, Santa, the bogey man, and the great pumpkin all have in common? My utter and complete disbelief in them of course. ;-)

"Feminism is the RADICAL notion that women are human beings."
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 857Registered Users
    Pixie knots are just part of the 4a hair game.

Pixie knots aren't curl-type specific, I'm a 3b and get those stupid buggers all the time, sometimes having up to 3 knots on one strand.
    I hate them, but I have given up trying to figure out how to prevent them. I've tried everything from wearing my hair stretched regularly, detangling more often, to literally wearing my hair almost straight most of the time. I'm done fretting over it.

Ditto to everything, but especially the bolded.
  • CoilyDelta27CoilyDelta27 Posts: 202Registered Users
    I've heard other naturals refer to the teensy knots as "peppercorns". LOL, I had no idea what they were talking about until I spotted a few on my ends. Comes along with the territory I guess.....(sigh)

:bigsmurf: (put him on here cuz it was a random "smurf smiley) LOL, very rare....
    youtube (reginadwright) :afro:
    Pre-Poo: EVOO/TJTingle Poo: KCCC Cowash:As I Am/Mielle Organics Condish: EVOO/Aussie Moist Leave-In:KCKT Moisturizers: Qhem AOHC Sealants: Grapeseed/Apricot Oil/FlaxGel

event.png

• Sapphire_ChicSapphire_Chic Posts: 189Registered Users
    there arn't many pros with a long transition..but this is definately one, i know i will just have to deal with them when i go natural but by then i would have gathered all these lovely tips to preventing them :)
    oh and about the curl type pixie knot, my T1 bf got one, i was staring at it for ages tryin to work out how it did that lool
    Henna and shea butter. Next to try are shampoos bars (still <3 baking soda)
    Fotki personal 'NO centre parting for the rest of the year' challenge

event.png

weight.png
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Is anyone else experiencing tiny knots at the ends of your curls? :sad11: I just had a "dusting" trim of my curls to eradicate any split ends that I had but now I am finding single strand, tiny knots at the end of some of my curls. :banghead: I can't get the knots out (obviously) without losing the ends. Does anyone know what would cause this or is this a symptom of spiral curls? Any information or advice would be appreciated!
    :read2:

I only get those knots when I need a trim...i.e 6 months post last trim and then some.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • KinkyCurlyCoolKinkyCurlyCool Posts: 174Registered Users
    I noticed I was getting SSKs by month 20 (of not having a perm and 4 months after chopping off relaxed ends). I am currently in month 29 and I don't noticed them as much but I know they are there. A few months ago, I had a piece of hair that was 12 inches long and I had a knot at 10 inches and a split end at 11 inches or vice versa... oh well, such is life.:happy6:
    event.png

www.public.fotki.com/kinkycurlycool

current products:
    homemade conditioners
    homemade twist'n hold stuff(not quite a gel)
    homemade moisturizers (water/glycerin)
    jamila henna-quarterly use to stretch hair for length check
    giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
    creme of nature shampoo and conditioner

If u do what u always did; u will get what u always got... author unknown
  • Legally NaturalLegally Natural Posts: 102Registered Users
    I get the dreaded single strand knots all the time. It is a common problem among curly naturals. I don't really worry too much about them anymore though. I just snip them off during my search and destroy sessions.
    Hair Type: 4a/3c on most, 3b nape, 4b very front
    Prepoo: Lustrasilk Cholesterol, Suave Humectant, Honey and Coconut or JBCO (mixed)
    Poo: Gio Smooth as Silk
    Co-Wash: Pantene Pro-V Curls Conditioner (BEST EVER!)
    Deep Conditioner: AOHSR, JBCO, Gio Smooth as Silk, and MT (mixed) OR Shescentit Conditioners
    Leave-Ins: V0-5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream
    Moisturizers: Ultra Moisturizer, Oyin J&Bs, Cantu Shea Butter
    Oils: Coconut Oil & JBCO
    *True PJ over here, but these are my staples.*
  • LynneryLynnery Posts: 303Registered Users
    They are driving me bonkers! I have a pair of scissors in my purse just to search and destroy. I haven't had a trim since I Bc'd in December but I never got those knots until recently. I guess cause my hair is longer maybe?

I dont know what to do. :o(

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    Lynnery wrote: »
    They are driving me bonkers! I have a pair of scissors in my purse just to search and destroy. I haven't had a trim since I Bc'd in December but I never got those knots until recently. I guess cause my hair is longer maybe?

OMG me too!! I cut my locks in February and I haven't had this problem! I've seen this thread before and I was thinking "dang! Those sound bad. Glad I don't have 'em!!" But they popped up like a week ago and they are driving me INSANE!:angry1: I'm beginning to think that I must need a trim?? :dontknow: I haven't trimmed since I "bc'd" either....furthermore, how the heck do you trim a twa anyway??? I was hoping I wouldn't have to trim til my hair was longer and I could pull large sections and just snip...
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • LynneryLynnery Posts: 303Registered Users
    Lynnery wrote: »

OMG me too!! I cut my locks in February and I haven't had this problem! I've seen this thread before and I was thinking "dang! Those sound bad. Glad I don't have 'em!!" But they popped up like a week ago and they are driving me INSANE!:angry1: I'm beginning to think that I must need a trim?? :dontknow: I haven't trimmed since I "bc'd" either....furthermore, how the heck do you trim a twa anyway??? I was hoping I wouldn't have to trim til my hair was longer and I could pull large sections and just snip...

You could probably do twists and trim like that. Thats how I've been doing it. I wanna forget about them but they feel so nasty. I'm thinking I may straighten my hair so that I dont have to deal with them as much. I wonder if wearing it straight sometimes will cut down on these knots.

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 348Registered Users
    mozeke wrote: »
    It is because of the tight curls. I have actually watched my hair do one (it was looped over) while I was combing. I have them EVERYWHERE::goofy: so I accept them. I'm not going to trim my hair constantly to get rid of them cuz I don't think they are particularly bad. Now when I decide to flat iron I may be singing a different tune but for now I'm more concerned with split ends than single strand knots. HTH some.

yea I don't trim either, but some times I will pull out the knot, after i detangle the rest if the hair out
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    I agree with everyone else those knots comes with the territory. I still despise knots and will never accept them I just learn how to tolerate those knots:laughing2:

Recently I got rid of some single strands knots, surprisingly I hardly get single strand knots. What helps is keeping my hair stretched via braids and twists or a bun.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    I just started to notice the SSK on my hair about 2 months ago. Before that I was smooth sailing as far as split ends and what not so I'm very pissed.

I am trying to figure out if it was caused by constant wash and go's around the April-May time period. Before that I was doing rollersets from Dec thru March and I didn't have the single strand knots. I was going to rollerset all summer and see if that helped but between the rain in Boston and my orange peel powder mishap that left my hair very dry I've had no choice but to wear my hair in a wash n go for the past 2 weeks.

I just deep conditioned with AOHR, detangled with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] and my hair is in two braided pigtails for now so it should be ok. I'll go back to rollersetting in a few days, which is too bad because I miss my curls after a few days.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• BNaturalBNatural Posts: 153Registered Users
    my hair does that too much actually!! I end up ripping the comb through them in frustration!! I guess weighing down the hair with thick, creamy and heavy products may help because this does not happen when my hair is full of conditioner!! You know I think this is the answer!! My hair is always nice and detangled with conditioner!! I have no problems then!! once i get out of the shower... well it's a different story - tangles all over!!
    :wav:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhalfindian%2F" class="Popup

Last Chemical Straightener - April 2007
    100% Natural as of - Feb 2008
    :wav:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I get a few at the back when I need a trim. It's usually the longer stragglers that have passed by other strands of hair and have nothing to curl around but themselves. When I get a curly cut the individual curl ends are nice and clean again.

Another reason I may get them is if there is shed hair still left in my hair, not completely combed or raked out. It will knot around the end of a hair. This is the only time I will take a scissors in hand and snip the little know off.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • sanjasanja Posts: 6Registered Users
    is your hair fine? i've heard that fine hair is prone to SSK's.
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    My little sister and I have fine but very dense hair, and I've noticed that we both get SSK's a lot. I usually just cut them out when I do my search and destroys. Although they're aggravating, I've learned to deal with them.
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    Artemise wrote: »
    is your hair fine? i've heard that fine hair is prone to SSK's.

Hmm interesting I don't have fine hair.