Suggetions Please

rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
I really want to color my hair, but I'm having trouble deciding what to do. I asked in a thread before about RC, but chickened out of doing it. I have medium brown hair. Inside it looks kind of ashy, but outside in the sun you can see alot of gold hints. I would like to go darker, but I'm afraid of how it will look. I don't want anything with red in it, but I'm not sure if I should ask for a dark ash brown? I just don't want the ash color to look grey, and not sure how dark to go. I was thinking of lowlights, or would getting all of it dyed look better? I'm so confused with all of the color options out there. I wear a lot of cool colors with my clothes and makeup (not sure if that helps) Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    Or should I... do the complete opposite for summer and go lighter? Caramel Highlights?
    Anyone? I emailed Karin at Robert Craig. Hopefully she can help and I will find a color that works.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi there! Been a busy week, just saw this. :)

So--

1. Which RC swatch best represents your current haircolor?
    2. Is that your natural color? If not, which represents your natural color?
    3. Which color swatch is closest to what you want your hair to look like afterward?

That will give me some references to go by. I'll be happy to help you find a color you might want to try. :)

CL
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Thank you so much curlilocks for replying. I was afraid that nobody would. :blob3:

1. Probably Coffee Brown, maybe a little darker
    2. Yes, this is it's natural color
    3. Either the Ash Brown or a lighter version of the Dark Brown- I just don't want it to look black.

I have went darker twice. The first time I loved it! It did not look like it had any ash in it, it just looked really rich and shiny. It faded really fast though. The Second time, it had a red tint under the light. I hated it. When it faded it left my hair an ugly reddish brown. It was called Chocolate Brown (made by Loreal). When it was dyed this time, I had to wear more makeup because it made me look so washed out. So, if I could find something like the first time I dyed it that would be great. Thank you!

When I emailed Karin, she suggested mixing Ash Brown with Ash Blonde. I'm just afraid that is not what I'm looking for.
    So you definitely want an ash shade and dark? You could go with what Karin suggested, or Ash Brown mixed with Clear (suggested on the site too). You might actually like Coffee Brown too. :) Remember, RC's Colors end up 2-3 shades darker on curly heads. It's a neutral shade. I used it for many years, and it was dark. I have since switched to Golden Chestnut because I wanted to go lighter (more gray) and I like the warm tones (I have them naturally, although I have cool coloring as well).

If you look at my fotki photos, my older ones (2000-2002 or so) are all using Coffee Brown.

I'd be afraid your hair would turn black if you use too dark a shade. Better to start lighter, you can always go darker next time. :)
    I looked at your fotki. You have really pretty curls! What color did you use in the picture under "My Devacut" #15. It looks darker in that picture, not sure if it is due to lighting. That is close to a color I would like. I also liked the color under "Nov 08 & Forward" # 16. Did it have red in it?
    Thanks! My hair usually looks darker in person, always lighter in photos. It's actually like the darker photo. Those pics are both using Golden Chestnut on the length. I use Light Chestnut for the roots, then use Golden as it gets longer.

You see what I mean by the color being darker on the hair then. :)

Golden Ch. has a gold base, I like the bit of warmth in my hair, as it occurs naturally for me. The Light Chestnut is actually a darker shade, also a neutral shade. If you want to stay neutral, that might be a great choice for you. :) If you decide you want warmth, try the Golden Chestnut.

As long as you strand test, you'll be able to see how light or dark you want to go, without getting black hair.
    I'm thinking about either the ash brown mixed with either ash blonde or the clear, or the coffee brown. Maybe even chestnut. I agree that I should go lighter first, then tweek it if needed. If I do go with one that needs to be mixed do I buy one clear and one brown? I know it says I would need two boxes, so I wasn't sure how that would work if I was mixing colors. I'm sorry I have so many questions! I just want to get it right. Thank you for all of your help. :)
    btw- Yes, I do see what you mean about the color going darker! You weren't joking :)
    Yes, if you need 2 boxes' worth to cover all your hair, you should get one box of each color. Then mix 1/2 of each color per bottle (don't put more, it won't fit when it foams up).

Light Chestnut is a couple shades lighter than Coffee Brown, you could start there, no mixing shades. :)

I also leave my color on for 1 hr for roots, and probably 1/2 hour for the rest to really penetrate (I have gray). That also makes it get darker. That's why the strand testing is so important.

LMK what you get and how the strand test goes. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file