CurlTalk

Honey Advice

Velvetmug22Velvetmug22 Posts: 409Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I tried honey tonight for the 3rd time and I still get crunchy curls. What am i doing wrong? I have tried adding it to my conditioner, alone, and dissolving it in a spray bottle of water and spraying my hair with it. It gives me some really tight, tight and crunchy but shiny curls. Any suggestions? thanks
Short 4A Hair.

Comments

• curlymunchkincurlymunchkin Posts: 10Registered Users
    I use honey everyday with my conditioner, in almost equal parts ( a little more conditioner than honey). The key I think is to really mix the honey and conditioner thoroughly before applying it to your hair. I also rinse out approx. 1/2 to 3/4 of the conditioner mix.

Since you've been getting the crunchies I might go a little light on the honey to try it. Just remember to mix it really well with conditioner.

I've experimented with honey quite a bit, and found this to be the easiest way to use it, and the least likely to get the crunchies. I hope that helps.
    ~3b/a - fine~
    water wash or Aubrey's shampoo, Aubrey's Island Naturals , ACV cold rinse (as needed), flax seed gel or Aubrey's Mandarin Magic gel, diffuse through satin bonnet
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 585Registered Users
    I sometimes add a drop (just a drop!) to my gel before applying. I like to add it to my conditioner sometimes, too, which I rinse completely out.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.

Used to be CG, now I'm not. Using Suave Aloe & Waterlily shampoo & condish, JoiWhip, BRHG, Suave Aloe gel, Aussie Tizz No Frizz, and anything else that looks good!
    My Myspace!
  • jenjenjenjen Posts: 188Registered Users
    You've got to be really careful adding honey to your stuff. It depends on how thick and long your hair is. I had to play with it a few times before I got it right. If you want my advice start out with less and add more if you think it's not working.
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    “Law is order, and good law is good order” (Aristotle).
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I've tried it added to my conditioner which I rinse out but I also have some in a spray bottle with water. It works well if I use JUST the right amount if I use too much it gets all crunchy and I have a hard time making sure I use the right amount...would it help any if I added a little conditioner to the spray bottle?

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    Okay, I've actually tried equal parts honey and conditioner and to be honest, didn't really do much at least I don't think. I feel as though the conditioning effect of my conditioner was diminished by the honey. And I didn't get the 'shine' effect that was supposed to be had by the honey. Wonder what I did wrong.
  • dumplings_of_doomdumplings_of_doom Posts: 65Registered Users
    I mix a tablespoon of honey into 1 cup of water, pour it on my head, and comb it through a little. It helps control my hair a bit more.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.