Honey + Hair = Bugs?

WavyAngieWavyAngie Registered Users Posts: 44
Hi! I know a lot of people like using honey in their hair, in a variety of different ways. I'm thinking of giving this a try when school lets out in a couple of days (when I don't have to be seen by others if things go badly :) ), but I have one question. I tried a quick search, but came up empty....

I am not a bug person. I do not like the thought of bugs anywhere near me. Now, it's not like I live in a tent, or something, but the odd bug or two has been known to find its way into my house. I shower at night, and I'm worried that if I use any honey at all, I'm going to wake up with all manner of creepy crawlies around my head. Or I'm going to step outside and be descended upon by a host of hornets. Or something. Has anyone who uses honey had a problem with bugs/other living things being attracted to their hair after applying it?

Or is my imagination just working over time? lol.
I have fine, 2c hair with normal porosity (I think.... :) ).

Currently, I'm using Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (co-wash), LVPNG (regular conditioner), Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and HETT (gel). Every now and then (once a week or so, whenever my hair needs it) I use GTTT shampoo. I've had good success with plopping and pixie curling, but my hair dries best if I shower and then sleep on it. My hair does NOT like honey.

I've been CG since June 29th, 2009.

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    My house is on a heavily shaded lot, with woods right behind it. I even have mosquitoes in the winter. And I use honey almost daily with no extra bugs coming my way.

Fruity smells are a problem, but not honey.

HTH.
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    I've only used honey added to my conditioner or a pre-mixed styling product.

But, no issues.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Registered Users Posts: 1,017 Curl Neophyte
    no probs with honey so far...however....juices and berries!!!! No joke...a hummingbird attacked me the other day. I was standing outside talking to my grandma on the porch and a hummingbird came at me like a missle to its target...i ran into the house leaving my poor old grandma to fend for herself while screaming out the door its the "juices and berries its the juices and berries!!!" quite traumatic lol. I never even knew hummingbirds exisisted in my neighborhood. just a heads up:) lol
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    lol, that was a cute story

as for honey, i use it a lot with conditioners and treatments and I don't have any issues with flies or bugs, at least none that I can recall
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • mushroom_headmushroom_head Registered Users Posts: 118
    Doesn't honey get sticky as a leave-in? If it's used with a rinse-out, does it lose its moisturizing effects?
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • Curly_LuvCurly_Luv Registered Users Posts: 22
    I know this is a really late post but I was browsing and I found it. Yesterday I did my hair, I co-washed and used some honey with my leave-in conditioner. I also added honey to the gel I was using. Needless to say, I used way too much honey (my first time using it). I put my hair in braids (thank goodness) it was nice yesterday, but today my braids are very stiff, shiny, but stiff.

When I went to the park to fly a kite with my dad I was attacked by gnats constantly. They swarmed in the air above my head and occasionally came lower and got swatted. Nothing else big bothered me, though, just annoying gnats.

My thoughts: Too much honey=bugs.
    Hair type: mostly 4a with tight waves in the front, very dense, high porosity.

Current Length: Mid-back
    Ultimate Length goal: Waist or Hip length

My hair loves: honey and olive oil
    My hair hates: being contained
    Products I use: GF Length and Strength conditioner, EVCO, EVOO, Honey, Eco Styler Olive Oil, CD Tui Oil

_________

event.png
  • CurlyFlixCurlyFlix Registered Users Posts: 58
    sweetmx85 wrote: »
    no probs with honey so far...however....juices and berries!!!! No joke...a hummingbird attacked me the other day. I was standing outside talking to my grandma on the porch and a hummingbird came at me like a missle to its target...i ran into the house leaving my poor old grandma to fend for herself while screaming out the door its the "juices and berries its the juices and berries!!!" quite traumatic lol. I never even knew hummingbirds exisisted in my neighborhood. just a heads up:) lol

Haha lol that's funny!
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 3a/3b, 'tanned blonde', fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, fine texture, naturally curly hair.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Conditioner:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Pure Coconut Oil Conditioner worked in, left for several minutes, washed out, second gentler application, left in for 3 minutes, washed out.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Styling:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Boots Essentials Curl Creme or Styling Mousse for Curls[/FONT]

event.png

• SummerRubySummerRuby Registered Users Posts: 468
    I absolutely, totally refuse to leave honey in my hair. Why? Because my house tends to attract bees' and wasps' nests. On the front porch and back porch, both of which are right next to the front door and back door, respectively. We also tend to get nests over our second back door, and in the cement of the back patio. Insects that sting love surrounding my house, it's like their bread and butter. Now, I'm terrified of sting-y bugs, so nothing that would even remotely attract them is coming in contact with me. Nope, no sir, no way.
  • msdimsdi Registered Users Posts: 35
    @ sweetmx85

ROFLOL...dang...that was worse then when I was attacked by a squirrel.

Honey is a GREAT deep conditioner. I use it after my protein treatment and my hair was silky smooth. I also used manuka honey if that makes a difference. I would not leave it in though. I would think that would attract bugs. Esp if you are wearing bright colors and a nice floral perfume, you will be done for.
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Registered Users Posts: 189
    I recently started misting my hair with a water/honey mixture. No problems with bugs yet... it is pretty diluted though. I can only smell the honey faintly when I am spraying it.
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • sweety10189110sweety10189110 Registered Users Posts: 129 Curl Neophyte
    I have been mixing a bit of honey in my rinse out and my LI for about a month now almost daily and I haven't had any bug issues. I've even been in the pool with a couple of bees buzzing by and they didn't seem to care lol.
    Mod CG since 4/10
    Products being used ATM
    Wash: KCCC, CJDF, AOGPB
    Rinseout:: Tresemme Naturals
    Moisturizing and Volume, Yes to Cucumbers
    LI: Giovanni DLI, KCKT
    DT: CJH&BDF, CJCR
    Every Day Stylers: KCCC, AOMM, Biotera Curl Cream, CJCCCC-Lite, CJCIAB, CJCQ, LALGs
  • mslittlelalamslittlelala Registered Users Posts: 139
    only thing I've used that gave a bug problem or feeling is oyins burnt sugar pomade. I loved it but I couldn't figure out if I had bugs crawling in my scalp or if it was an allergic reaction. I washed it out and things were fine. The same thing occurred with one of chagrin valleys bars so I don't know but I now check things to make sure honey isn't included and no more bug feeling in my scalp
    It made me so nervous that I took a lice comb to my 4a/3c hair, can u imagine?
    FULL CG - 2nd Attempt 2/27/11
    TYPE: Fluffy see through coils & corkscrews when dry & product free
    HGS underlined
    DC: AOHSR / AOGPB / AOSwim / Elucence
    PO: BWC RM / CV Poo Bars
    Cowash: Vo5 KL / GTTT Dilute / Vo5 SC
    RO: AOBGA
    LEAVE INS
    Warm mths - help??
    Cool mths - H20, Olive oil, whipped shea butter
    STYLE: La Bella Styling Gel / Deva SIF
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Registered Users Posts: 422
    No problems here. Honey is the business in my book.
  • anonymous_46846anonymous_46846 Banned Banned Users Posts: 160
    WavyAngie wrote: »
    Hi! I know a lot of people like using honey in their hair, in a variety of different ways. I'm thinking of giving this a try when school lets out in a couple of days (when I don't have to be seen by others if things go badly :) ), but I have one question. I tried a quick search, but came up empty....

I am not a bug person. I do not like the thought of bugs anywhere near me. Now, it's not like I live in a tent, or something, but the odd bug or two has been known to find its way into my house. I shower at night, and I'm worried that if I use any honey at all, I'm going to wake up with all manner of creepy crawlies around my head. Or I'm going to step outside and be descended upon by a host of hornets. Or something. Has anyone who uses honey had a problem with bugs/other living things being attracted to their hair after applying it?

Or is my imagination just working over time? lol.

You will be OK, don't worry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file